Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best free nav app for samsung galaxy 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best free nav app for samsung galaxy 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Best free nav app for samsung galaxy 2 Reply with quote

Having been dragged kicking and screaming into the "smart" phone era I'd like to find a decent easy to use nav app which if not free is cheap.

I'm not interested in the new TT app, or Sygic too costly and take too much space, offline use would be great as we're often off grid and I prefer the overhead maps rather than the 3D effect similar to TTs

I currently have Google maps & Co-Pilot live free edition installed, I've yet to get Co-Pilot to actually guide me anywhere.

Thanks in anticipation
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that OsmAnd is fantastic (see my signature for a link to their webpage). It is based on Open Street Maps which are updated by the community. Some say that the maps are not to be trusted because of this, however, I have never had a problem with the mapping or the routing and the maps are quite often more up to date than TT's, Garmin's. etc. All maps are stored on the device so there is very little data to download (just for directions if you stray off route), . Upgrading to OsmAnd+ provides some extra features.

An alternative is Waze. Again this is a community based app and provides live traffic for free. You need to be downloading data as you drive for the maps and for the traffic. You shan't consume much data though, the maps are like stick drawings (but perfectly adequate) and the traffic data is tiny.

Also check out Telmap, they have a very good free app. Although I have it installed i use OsmAnd+ and Waze more often.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AliOnHols,

I had a look at osmand and I forget why but deleted it very quickly.

Another issue is I'd like to be able to continue download speed cam alerts and other POIs as I do now.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Navfree is the only free Android app with offline maps.

Waze requires data connection and I find it very flaky when the data link drops out - frequent crashes and freezing.

M8 is another free offering which is pretty good, but again it requires active data connection.

Of the paid offerings I think CoPilot is one of the more reasonably priced choices but I find its routing algorithms to be less than optimal. Sygic is a little better but still offers questionable routing.

NDrive is a cheaper offline option but I have not tried it so I have no thoughts to offer.

Tomtom, for me, has by far the most sensible satnav routing algorithms. The interface and navigation views are average at best, but I can tolerate that if the routing is good.

As for sideloading speedcams I don't really know all the options. I do know that Waze has speedcam data which is user-submitted and not bad in my experience.

CoPilot also has a free speedcam database download if you choose to activate it.

Tomtom has an overpriced speedcam subscription option and, as far as I know, no official means of sideloading POIs. If anyone knows a means of doing it on the new Android build then I'd love to find out...
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded an app called M8 and ran it alongside my TT for a couple of weeks before trying it alone. Seems to do the job on my Galaxy S2, but maps aren't downloaded and volume can be a bit low, but I do have the radio loud Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: