Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom android POI Icons And favorites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom android POI Icons And favorites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: TomTom android POI Icons And favorites Reply with quote

i have a rooted htc desire and found how to get all our old favorites back, i can't find a mapsettings file.
you have to go into the root of your phone then follow this
data/data/com.tomtom.weurope/files/personal/pois
there you will find the Favorites ov2 file, you will have to copy this to your PC have a program POI edit .
when you open the file with POI Edit you will have to put the favorites in manual. save everything then copy back you you phone.
If you have poi's that you want to be seen when driving add then to the map which will be stored on your SD card just make sure the icon is a BMP file and dimensions are 44x44 .
Hope you understand this and that it helps somebody
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from: TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store

I had a play with the speed camera db last night & they can be displayed on screen:-
Extract the database in the usual way & whilst the phone is connected to a computer navigate to the map folder on the phone in the same way as you would on a TomTom PND ie
TomTom/com.TomTom.ukireland/files/United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
(Note I have the UK & Eire maps, the folder name will be different if different maps have been purchased)
Drop the PGPSW database in the map folder
From within the TomTom app Navigate to: view map/details/choosee POIs
Select the PGPSW POI files with the check box

you will now have them displayed on screen although on my SGS3 they are tiny, & I can't see any way to receive a warning from within the app because there is no "manage POI"
Used alongside CameraAlert it's almost a solution
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW Database display - UPDATE

When copying the PGPSW database to the TomTom Android map folder delete the standard size icons (bitmaps) & rename the X2 icons by removing "_X2" - the app will now display the larger, colour camera icons, although it does try to modify the icon shape by adding an extra bit to the bottom right, but it isn't causing any problems.

The result is that you can now have the TomTom Android app with full PGPSW database, but the alerts will still have to come from CameraAlert![/b]
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thanks!

Confirmed working on Samsung Galaxy SII.
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

I had a play with the speed camera db last night & they can be displayed on screen:-
Extract the database in the usual way & whilst the phone is connected to a computer navigate to the map folder on the phone in the same way as you would on a TomTom PND ie
(Note I have the UK & Eire maps, the folder name will be different if different maps have been purchased)
Drop the PGPSW database in the map folder
From within the TomTom app Navigate to: view map/details/choosee POIs
Select the PGPSW POI files with the check box

you will now have them displayed on screen although on my SGS3 they are tiny, & I can't see any way to receive a warning from within the app because there is no "manage POI"
Used alongside CameraAlert it's almost a solution

I'm about to try to add the camera locations to the TomTom map using the instructions above but first want to clarify things so I don't s***w up.

1. I've never used the database on TT hardware so "extract the database in the usual way" is a bit of a mystery. I'm assuming one downloads the TomTom OV2 version...but Consolidated or by type?
2. Copying over to the Android phone....all the files? I seem to have about 75...bmps, ov2s, txts and htmls.

I had a little trial today (without the icons) doing a 40 mile round trip. TTA works great (and so much quicker on the SGS2 than on 940) but with CameraAlert working in the background (with show maps = Never) I got no camera warnings at all (voice or popups). Any ideas why?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:

I'm about to try to add the camera locations to the TomTom map using the instructions above but first want to clarify things so I don't s***w up.

1. I've never used the database on TT hardware so "extract the database in the usual way" is a bit of a mystery. I'm assuming one downloads the TomTom OV2 version...but Consolidated or by type?
2. Copying over to the Android phone....all the files? I seem to have about 75...bmps, ov2s, txts and htmls.

The database will arrive on your computer as a ZIP (compressed) file, you will need to extract the files. You should be able to double click the zip file & have it open as a folder with the files you need inside – copy them (the files) to the map folder on your SGS2 – make sure you go all the way through the folders till you arrive at the correct one ie:

Use the consolidated version of the file, there’s no advantage using the full version on your phone, there will only be a total of 19 files.

If you're going to use the X2 icons, copy all the files to a spare folder on your computer & do the deleting / renaming before moving the files to the SGS2. When updating the databases in the future copy everything except the .bmp files to your phone in order not to overwrite them .

TMCsucks wrote:

I had a little trial today (without the icons) doing a 40 mile round trip. TTA works great (and so much quicker on the SGS2 than on 940) but with CameraAlert working in the background (with show maps = Never) I got no camera warnings at all (voice or popups). Any ideas why?

I’m don’t know the answer to this but I’m sure a CamerAlert expert will be able along soon

edit: Go into CamerAlert settings & check that the first option "Sound Warnings" is checked
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks IanS100. Just what I needed - an idiot's guide: perfect. I note from the forum that S3 users are using the X2 files. Are they needed for the S2? Or is it just a case of trying it as it is and if they're not big enough, using the X2 files?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:
Thanks IanS100. Just what I needed - an idiot's guide: perfect. I note from the forum that S3 users are using the X2 files. Are they needed for the S2? Or is it just a case of trying it as it is and if they're not big enough, using the X2 files?

Spot on, if you find the standard icons too small carry out the mod & you will have bigger colour icons otherwise just carry on as you are
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. I notice however, that view map/ details/ choose POIs is only available if you deselect showing traffic info on the map. ie you can opt to see POIs or traffic info on the map but not both at the same time. This is rather disappointing (and not the case for the GO 940 LIVE)
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:
Done. I notice however, that view map/ details/ choose POIs is only available if you deselect showing traffic info on the map. ie you can opt to see POIs or traffic info on the map but not both at the same time. This is rather disappointing (and not the case for the GO 940 LIVE)

I've just had a look & this is bizarre, not being able to display POIs & have Traffic at the same time doesn't give me any incentive to invest in Traffic .... totally insane!
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have got a bit overexcited. Just looking at the TomTom forums, it appears that:

"The Android app (and all PNDs) can show traffic and poi at the same time on driving view. However in view map mode you can't show both at the same time."
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:
I may have got a bit overexcited. Just looking at the TomTom forums, it appears that:

"The Android app (and all PNDs) can show traffic and poi at the same time on driving view. However in view map mode you can't show both at the same time."

Cheers, I read that myself.

I've tried the TomTom app on my SGS3 & a Nexus 7, both work well except for the odd HD sizing problems except for one anomaly:

On the Nexus 7 I have a "Traffic Info" toggle in Map View / Details but in the SGS3 the toggle is missing, I've got the other four sliders but not "Traffic Info" - very strange. Any ideas?
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the toggle only appears if there is a valid traffic subscription. Might there have been some snafu in moving from the Nexus to the SGS3?

I had another slightly worrying thing occur. Overnight Europe just disappeared from my SGS2...it had gone from the list of downloaded apps in Settings and the icon was greyed out. I went to the Play Store, re-downloaded the programme (agreed it had been purchased previously) and everything was back again (including favourites). Quite disturbing.....
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have downloaded the latest map 930 for Tomtom Android on my Nexus 5 I no longer have a Tomtom folder (no SD card on Nexus 5). Therefore my speed camera POI that were in a sub folder of Tomtom (as mentioned in this thread) do not display.

I have found that I now have to put them in:

Android/data/com.tomtom.ukireland/files/files/United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

This may only be what happens on a Nexus 5, but I would check if your PGPS speed cams are displaying.

Alan
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folder layout hasn't changed on my galaxy note 3 but the folder you're putting the files in is the correct one anyway

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: