Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DNX521DAB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DNX521DAB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: DNX521DAB Reply with quote

I have just had fitted a DNX521DAB to replace a faulty DNX520VBT unit but cannot get the speed camera alerts to work, have tried downloading with Garmin POI and putting on MicroSD, have tried renaming the POI to Poi, none of these work, is it the unit is too new for gpsworld speedcams, any suggestions would be helpful.
nigelengland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Same problem.... Reply with quote

I have just purchased a VW Golf GTD into which I had the Kenwood DNX521DAB fitted - and I can't get the poi to load either...

Following all the instructions to save the poi file onto the micro SD card when inserted into the Kenwood it just sits there saying "Reading...."

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks
Nige
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem.... Reply with quote

nigelengland wrote:
I have just purchased a VW Golf GTD into which I had the Kenwood DNX521DAB fitted - and I can't get the poi to load either...

Following all the instructions to save the poi file onto the micro SD card when inserted into the Kenwood it just sits there saying "Reading...."

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks
Nige

According to instructions from Kenwood, the DNX521 can only upload via USB although it could've been updated for the DAB version, I'd give USB a try anyway!

http://www.kenwood.nl/WebFiles/File/eu/download/software/poi/POI-eng.pdf
nigelengland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Success :-) Reply with quote

Hi Dorean

I have just managed to get the Speed Camera poi onto my DNX521DAB Very Happy

I first had to update the unit Firmware to the latest V1.7.0 - see the link below
http://www.kenwood.eu/up_2_date/car/multimedia/dnx521vbt/

This has to be done via the built in USB cable, so I had to pull it through to the glovebox and disconnect my iPod integration cable from it before inserting the USB key.

Once the update was successfully completed, I used the Garmin POI loader to put the poi file onto the key - after deleting the update files first for safety!

When the USB key was reinserted with the unit showing the NAV mode "homepage" it automatically loaded the poi's

Checking the NAV setup menu now shows "Proximity Alerts" so it would seem to have worked as this wasn't there before!

Hope this helps,

Nige. Very Happy Very Happy Smile
dorean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: adding speed camera's to a Kenwood DNX521DAB Reply with quote

Thanks nigelengland for the heads up, worked a treat, now all I have to do is add my Touran.srf icon and I'll be a very happy bunny, thanks once again to all who helped sort my poi problem.
Coume
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning guys,

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but could you let me know what you think of the DNX521DAB? Is the Traffic avoidance any good?

Thanks
Ludo
nigelengland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an overall unit the DNX521DAB is excellent.

Sound quality is great, DAB coverage is good as is the iPod integration via the USB.

But the built in Garmin SatNav is not as good as the TomTom app i used to use on my iPhone in my old car!

The reason for saying this being that the Garmin Traffic system relies on the "Traffic Master" info received via the radio unit and whilst the TM coverage is ok on the main trunk roads (motorways etc) it is not extensive on urban roads, even in London!

Whereas as far I am aware the TomTom app uses (in addition to the TM data) their own database of real-time users road speeds from both iPhone users, and the newer "Go Live" units which also have a built in 3G data connection. And so seems to give far better coverage overall as it is not reliant on just the fixed detector locations.
So I have noticed that the Garmin system in the DNX521 is not as accurate as predicting the arrival time as the TomTom used to be.

As for the traffic avoidance, when the Garmin has detected a jam it does reroute effectively around the problem area.

So all in all whilst I do not think the DNX's built in Garmin software is as good as the iPhone TimTom it is generally up to the job and only occasionally seems to "let me down" leaving me sat in an inevitable traffic queue...

Hope this helps

Nige.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigelengland wrote:
....as far I am aware the TomTom app uses (in addition to the TM data) their own database of real-time users road speeds from both iPhone users, and the newer "Go Live" units which also have a built in 3G data connection.

Nearly, Nige. Smile

The TomTom "HD" traffic service uses "probe data" from any phone that's on the Vodaphone network.

TomTom "LIVE" models (which comprise some models from all of the GO, VIA, and XL ranges) also have a Vocaphone SIM card for the data services, so they get used for the probe data too.
But it's actually only a 2G connection.

PGPSW recently did a good write-up describing how the HD Traffic service works here:
New Article: How TomTom Makes Digital Maps Part 4:HD Traffic
asti89
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I'm about to have one of these fitted to a new car. Do you know if it will be possible to add extra Garmin voices via the rear USB connection?

I've asked both Garmin and Kenwood and they are a little reticent to say!

Thanks.
ronnie2455
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a bit of a struggle with the speed cameras on my DNX 521 DAB.

They all installed ok and the warnings on approach came up on cue but the actual camera image weren't visible on the maps.

Now, I've fiddled about with this for most of the day and have eventually managed to find out why.

The icons need to be 24x24 pixel "bmp" images in order for them to be visible on the maps. The bmp images that came with the pocketgps files were at 22x22 pixels and consequently did not display properly.
ronnie2455
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be helpful info for anyone who like myself may have been wasting their time trying to install voice alerts on the Kenwood DNX-521 DAB.

Apparently Kenwood in their infinite wisdom have decided to remove the voice alert capability, so it is no longer supported on 2012 models onward.

The best you'll get is a bong as an alert.

I personally can live without voice alert, however it annoys me that we seem to pay more and get less.
bentleytiguan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: HELP WITH UPDATE Reply with quote

Hi

I currently have the same Sat Nav and you have discussed and I am having a major issue trying the update the POI's.

I have downloaded it onto a USB via the POI loader, it shows as a Poi.gpi.

When I plug it into the Nav it say's it has detected new Poi's but when I select yes it says it is unable to read file?!

The file in which I take it from where the original download comes from is in the form of a zip style file which I have to extract the files from. I have done that and they are in a new file which I use for the poi loader.

hope this makes sense please help.

thanks
ronnie2455
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP WITH UPDATE Reply with quote

bentleytiguan wrote:
Hi

I currently have the same Sat Nav and you have discussed and I am having a major issue trying the update the POI's.

I have downloaded it onto a USB via the POI loader, it shows as a Poi.gpi.

When I plug it into the Nav it say's it has detected new Poi's but when I select yes it says it is unable to read file?!

The file in which I take it from where the original download comes from is in the form of a zip style file which I have to extract the files from. I have done that and they are in a new file which I use for the poi loader.

hope this makes sense please help.

thanks

Take a look at the link below, 5th post down should solve your problem.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=594496&highlight=#594496
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use PoI Loader let it delete all previous files, then load the new ones.

If still difficult, try with a completely reformatted USB stick in FAT32 and make sure that you let PoI Loader create the folders and file names.

If you are in the satnav with a map showing the update should start automatically.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
martinkirk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is this USB port the same one I use for my iPod or is it hidden somewhere else. I've tried via the SD card slot in the glovebox to no avail.

Help !!

MJK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: