Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Suggestion for Nissan Connect - remove surplus data from CSV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion for Nissan Connect - remove surplus data from CSV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Suggestion for Nissan Connect - remove surplus data from CSV Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest a change to the Nissan Connect download.

The current data looks like "a GATSO camera ahead, 40mph, W. WARNING! [ID: 1]", which obscures most of the screen unnecessarily. I suggest removing "a ", " camera ahead" and "WARNING! " so that the data looks like "GATSO, 40mph, W. [ID: 1]". I do this manually anyway before installation, but it'd be handy to have it already incorporated into the downloaded file.

The rationales for this are:
  1. it reduces the amount of text the driver has to read and parse;
  2. the indefinite article "a " might be grammatically correct, but is unnecessary - brevity and clarity are more important than adhering to Fowler's Modern English Usage;
  3. " camera ahead" is superfluous because anyone who has installed the database already knows that it's to warn about cameras;
  4. "WARNING!" is superfluous for the same reason as c).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was added this way after suggestions from a number of Conect users on this forum and a Nissan users forum too...

I'll have a think about it Smile

MaFt
Flake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is poor design on Bosch's part (or in the project requirements Nissan gave to Bosch). Whenever a POI is near, instead of a little icon for the POI, the system flashes up a message which begins "You are approaching"followed by whatever text is in the CSV for that set of coordinates. Some of the longer POI entries disappear off the bottom of the screen, as the font size is understandably quite large to make it easy to read. If only Nissan and Bosch had taken the time to look at how their competitors do these things...

I appreciate that "You are approaching GATSO, 40mph, W. [ID: 1]" might be construed as somewhat brusque as well as grammatically poor, but it's informative and it also fits on the screen.

It's no great hardship, though, to pipe the CSV through sed before copying to a USB stick; I'll keep doing that in the meantime.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Flake wants to trim redundant information from his alert screen, one could also wonder what immediately useful information he gets from the fairly long text of the Cam ID like [ID: 111345] Other than for speciallist verification purposes, I can see no use for this bit of info being displayed either as if you realy need this info you can easily get it from the submission map. Too much info to read (or filter out?)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point M8TJT (it must be... I was wondering it myself! Laughing )
Flake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
As Flake wants to trim redundant information from his alert screen, one could also wonder what immediately useful information he gets from the fairly long text of the Cam ID like [ID: 111345] Other than for speciallist verification purposes, I can see no use for this bit of info being displayed either as if you realy need this info you can easily get it from the submission map. Too much info to read (or filter out?)

That's a bit of a compromise. Automating the removal of static text is easy - cat pocketgps_uk_sc.csv | sed s/WARNING\!\ // | sed s/\ camera\ ahead// | sed s/a\ // - but I haven't yet worked out the magic incantation to strip variable-length dynamic text with two known boundary characters ([ and ]). I'd imagine it's possible and also trivially easy for someone who's spent longer reading the man page for sed than I have, but what I've got suits my purposes.

I can think of one possible use for showing the camera ID number: for reporting false positives. However, so much work is put into getting the database correct that the number of false positives should always be low, so even that's not really much of a use.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flake wrote:
I can think of one possible use for showing the camera ID number: for reporting false positives. However, so much work is put into getting the database correct that the number of false positives should always be low, so even that's not really much of a use.
I rest my case Very Happy

EDIT
Just had a l;ook at the SED stuff. WOW. I'd use Excel and a macro. But can't you use something like "[ID:*]" as the replace string and repalce it with nothing? I suspect that this is probably not that easy as it seems that SED uses the [] as a special character, but enclosing it in "" might do the trick
Flake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Flake wrote:
I rest my case Very Happy

There's no case to rest: I don't find the camera index numbers useful, which was the point of your original query, and it took me several minutes to come up with that single extreme-use case I mentioned. I just haven't devoted any additional time towards working out how to automate their removal as well.

However, whether or not I find them useful is beside the point. Evidently other people do, just like other people find the additional text useful, otherwise they wouldn't be in the CSV in the first place. See MaFt's response to my original suggestion.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: