Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Discussion: Are free nav apps killing satnav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussion: Are free nav apps killing satnav?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Isn't free apps the 'Murdoch model? You corner the market [including advertising - there's a thought*] by subsidising from other income, put your rivals out of business, then gradually introduce charges...

* You're driving along, when suddenly on your navigation device is an ad for a shopping centre in the next 10 miles.
That'll be the Google, then. They already have the technology.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

I recently purchased CoPilot Live Premium & although it looks good I’ve found the routing to be worse than Google Nav, in fact I’d venture as far as saying I found it gave me the worst routes of all the apps & devices I’ve tried, and the traffic app was a joke. After suffering CoPilot’s abysmal routing /traffic for a month I gave up with it and asked ALK for a refund, not that they are being very cooperative about furnishing me with one!
They've not improved then. I loved their maps on version 5, but when I got to 6 teh routing was just rubbish. Kept taking me shorter routes including the old A1 through North West London instead of M25/M11 to London City Airport. Thank goodness we were going down the night before else we would have missed the plane.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Paulius55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with st1100flyer. I have a TomTom 730, which I thought was great, until I got a Nokia 5800 with Nokia Maps. It does everything the TT does and more. The routing is good, maps are as up-to-date as the TT and are free to update, safety cameras are built in, and free to update. It has traffic management built-in, spoken street names, map error reporting, quick re-calculations and, of course, is my hands-free phone at the same time, with the addition of a very small app that auto-answers, switches to speaker, then auto-hangs up. It is so much more convenient to use than the TT as I always have it with me. The smaller screen size is unimportant as the layout is clear and well thought out and the sound is adequate. When I first got it I did a side-by side comparison with the two devices and I was very impressed with the Nokia.
Even mounting it in the car is easier as i just have a magnet on the dash and the phone just sits on there, away from the screen, so no glaring or sunlight effects. It would take a very special stand-alone unit to convince me to go back now.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks st1100flyer & Paulius55, I think that you are helping me refine my list to Santa.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Vortex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

I recently purchased CoPilot Live Premium & although it looks good I’ve found the routing to be worse than Google Nav, in fact I’d venture as far as saying I found it gave me the worst routes of all the apps & devices I’ve tried, and the traffic app was a joke. After suffering CoPilot’s abysmal routing /traffic for a month I gave up with it and asked ALK for a refund, not that they are being very cooperative about furnishing me with one!
They've not improved then. I loved their maps on version 5, but when I got to 6 teh routing was just rubbish. Kept taking me shorter routes including the old A1 through North West London instead of M25/M11 to London City Airport. Thank goodness we were going down the night before else we would have missed the plane.

My experience with CoPilot has been the exact opposite and I have no affiliation with ALK! I had previously tried a few of the free nav apps which, whilst not terrible, where only really any good on the main roads - perhaps they've improved recently. I bought CoPilot Live Premium for the iPhone for half-price when it was released. I also have a standalone TomTom. It must depend on the area you want to route through because CoPilot has consistently given me either the same or a better routing than the TomTom PND (generally around the Midlands but occasionally down towards the south coast) - it has certainly kept me off some of the weird little back roads/tracks that the TomTom wanted me to take. Similarly, the traffic warnings have worked well for me and the associated pop-up routing messages have been useful. I don't have traffic warning on my TomTom so can't compare the two.

One of the previous posters mentioned that he could not charge his phone when using the satnav app because of the power draw. I have definitely not found that to be the case with the iPhone 4. I run CoPilot, CamerAlert and listen to music and still manage to comfortably charge the phone whilst I drive.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex wrote:
One of the previous posters mentioned that he could not charge his phone when using the satnav app because of the power draw. I have definitely not found that to be the case with the iPhone 4. I run CoPilot, CamerAlert and listen to music and still manage to comfortably charge the phone whilst I drive.

Ditto. Although I find that cheap 99p ebay chargers do not give enough juice, but spend about £10 on a decent Belkin one and you're laughing Smile

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Vortex wrote:

Ditto. Although I find that cheap 99p ebay chargers do not give enough juice, but spend about £10 on a decent Belkin one and you're laughing Smile

MaFt

As above. Son In Law had a cheap ebay charger - even if he started a long journey with 100% battery his iPhone would last about an hour with just Sat Nav running.

I bought a "Griffin PowerJolt SE" for about £10 on eBay. Works great with iPhone 4 and 4S. Can start a journey on 25% battery, run TomTom App, CamerAlert and music whilst connected by BlueTooth to my iOPlay system and be fully charged after a long journey.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartroad wrote:
However that is where I hit the problem with phones and satnav - they kill battery life. Even plugged into the car the battery gets drained, just slower then without

I've never had that on my iPhones - so long as they are plugged in they will charge to complete even when screen is on and navigating. I presume that is something specific to your phone's charging circuit. Obviously not good, but I don't think it is common.

But it is a good point to bring up - you can't use your phone for more than an hours navigation without a power source.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

... you can't use your phone for more than an hours navigation without a power source.

I've had four hours out of my Galaxy S3.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
matthewj wrote:

... you can't use your phone for more than an hours navigation without a power source.

I've had four hours out of my Galaxy S3.

Okay, yes, but I was assuming you might want to do something more with it when you get there. Rolling Eyes
happyhenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a motorcyclist, I need a robust, vibration resistant and water-safe satnav. I have seen riders with waterproof cases (mainly aimed at mountain bikers) for smartphones, but their limited battery life, especially when the temperature drops, can inhibit use unless a charger is lashed up too.

I don't have a very smart phone and admit to using maps (love 'em) and then Google Earth / Google Maps to plan interesting routes, which I transfer to Mapsource.

My long-suffering Garmin 2820 is still giving loyal service, is robust and has maps that are up to date enough (most towns and villages don't move about very often). It is easy to power from the bike and I can get sound through an Autocom system - though I do use it on a second bike without sound, which is fine. I can also BT my mobile through it and load the camera database.

Until someone comes up with a better solution in terms of smartphones and motorbikes, I personally can't see a need to change my equipment.

The demise of the stand-alone sat nav seems inevitable for the car, foot and pushbike market.

The sales of all those millions of cheap car units must have been subsidising both the top-end and niche-market units such as those aimed at marine, aviation and motorcycling. A reduction in demand for the main movers is bound to push up costs on the new and second-hand market for the niche models.
guzzigeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been buying GPS's for years usualy a Garmin device - Never again.
I always used to buy new ones as the cost of map upgrades on an older device couldn't be justified. I bought a 1390 last year for under half price to use on a european road trip. The 1390 appealed as it had 3g connection for live traffic, weather, fuel prices etc.
1 year later the "live" subscription has expired £40 to renew and the maps are out of date £56-00 to renew. I only paid £130-00 for it new.
I have also had for the last 4 years Nokia mobile phones which have had GPS and nokia maps installed - free map app and upgrades and world wide mapping. Also unlike Google maps the nokia version can be used offline as it stores the maps on your phone. I also had Google maps installed for finding shops etc.
I used to use the phone system very rarely as battery consumption was terrible and the screens were unviewable in sunlight and too small.
I have just got hold of a new Lumia 710 windows smartphone for only £10-00 a month with 200 mins and 500Mb data and the GPS software is stunning. Superb in the car, live data, latest maps, and if i'm out of the car I have a solar/battery pack to top up for heavy useage which is half the size and weight of the garmin.
I'll stick with my Nuvi550 for on the motorbike as it's waterproof but otherwise I see no reason to buy another GPS. Smartphones are that good and in Nokia's case free apps and maps for life.
ps the one i got free from Carphone Warehouse had £35.00 cash back as well Very Happy
guzzigeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartroad wrote:

I have copilot on my Android phone and it was okay, as competent as my TomTom 510 (yes it is still going!). However that is where I hit the problem with phones and satnav - they kill battery life. Even plugged into the car the battery gets drained, just slower then without. Google maps has one weakness for me, live data connection. For a first world country the UK has shockingly poor data coverage and ridiculous usage limits that will stop most being able to use online services for any real use. Until data becomes as cheap as it should be PND's will have use.

If you just use a cheap generic car charger or USB the power out is limited to 500mA which is less than the device uses if the screen is permanantly on.
Garmin and others put out up to 1200mA - change the charger and problem solved
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't it will totally kill off the paid market the users of the free google type of nav app are as has been said casual drivers. My self I've been a smartphone user for many years for Satnav at work I use copilot on my iPhone but also have have igo on it though I don't use it often on my windows phone (HTC) I use navigon for personal use as it just been updated and I've paid for map updates for the next 2 years.
To my mind using a phone for navigation is much easier in going to look at Nokia drive as I've just got my wife a lumia 710 and have just downloaded the UK maps to her phone but have yet to use it.
Recently we to Holland and used navigon all the way and it ran with no problems at all. Though iwouldnt have use it if it was an offboard system
I think there will always be a place for pnds for some people personally it would have to be a very special one to make me switch back, though I can't see what could he put on a pnd to make me switch back

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
billynibbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, for what they are worth.

I've got a Garmin 1340 with lifetime updates of 'Europe', although having just been to Croatia and Montenegro, this turned out to be as useful as a chocolate tea-pot, since apparently, I've got Western Europe, not Europe.

This got me thinking about what my HTC Desire could do for me. Being abroad at the time, I was ever mindful of the horrendous data charges that I would have incurred using Google's supplied mapping and sat-nav. It's easy to forget whilst in your native country, that the maps that miraculously appear do so at the expense of your data allowance - in my mind I imagine it frantically downloading the next 'chunk' of map just before I drive off the edge of the current one!

Whilst enjoying the holiday flat's wi-fi, I stumbled upon the Android app, NavFree and its open source mapping. This still didn't overcome my immediate problem as Montenegro wasn't on its list of maps, but at least you can download whole countries at a time. I've now tried it back in the UK, and the guidance for the few trips over which I've tested it seems spot-on. Having the map for the current country loaded means that you can turn data off to avoid any expensive mistakes.

However, I do believe in horse for courses. Just as the cameras in mobiles still leave something to be desired (eg no real zoom), in my view, the same goes for sat-nav applications especially when receiving a call - unlike outgoing calls, which can always be postponed until you're not lost (!), you have little or no control over these interruptions

That's the problem with leaning too heavily on a 'do-it-all' device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: