Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car Speeds To Be Restricted By GPS Technology
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Speeds To Be Restricted By GPS Technology
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Car Speeds To Be Restricted By GPS Technology Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
GPS technology could be used to exact a 'Big Brother' influence over drivers by restricting the speed at which cars can travel.

The technology, known as Intelligent Speed Adaption (ISA) software, is already on trial in a number of countries and works by cutting fuel to the car engine when speed limits are exceeded. This causes the car to lose momentum, helping to bring the speed back into legal limits.

The system is currently being unveiled in India where, once formally approved, is expected to become a compulsory feature of new car manufacturing.

GPS technology is used to monitor the speed and position of the vehicle, with a detailed map of roads and their corresponding speed limits fed to the device.

Concerns about the sensitivity of the device and the risk of interference have been allayed as any attempted tampering will result in the systems default setting being activated. This reduces the speeds to what one official described as "frustratingly low".

Source
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of technology has been mentioned a few times.

My worry is that during an overtaking manoeuvre with a car coming in the opposite direction your power is cut. What was a safe overtake is now potentially fatal.

Have they really thought this through ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and we all know how accurate road speed limits are on sat nav maps.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

My worry is that during an overtaking manoeuvre with a car coming in the opposite direction your power is cut. What was a safe overtake is now potentially fatal.

The overtaking scenario will be fine as long as you don't exceed the speed limit whilst doing so, which one shouldn't do anyway... Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
The overtaking scenario will be fine as long as you don't exceed the speed limit whilst doing so, which one shouldn't do anyway... Smile

Not for the Spanish market then! I am told that here you are allowed to exceed the speed limit by 20kmh to effect a safe overtake! Not that I would like to put it to the test approaching an officer of the law.

Fancy that in a 30kmh zone.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Speeds To Be Restricted By GPS Technology Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
is expected to become a compulsory feature of new car manufacturing.

Ho Ho Ho!!! Last time I saw India on Telly, the nearest thing to a new car was a 1957 sit up and beg Ford Pop. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Speeds To Be Restricted By GPS Technology Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Ho Ho Ho!!! Last time I saw India on Telly, the nearest thing to a new car was a 1957 sit up and beg Ford Pop. Very Happy[/quote]But don't they make them for the rest of the world?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Speeds To Be Restricted By GPS Technology Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Ho Ho Ho!!! Last time I saw India on Telly, the nearest thing to a new car was a 1957 sit up and beg Ford Pop. Very Happy

But don't they make them for the rest of the world?

Does the rest of the world want a 1957 sit up and beg Ford Pop?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

Have you not heard of brakes?

It's the pedal next to the accelerator.

Probably not a good time to buy a car made in India...such as Jaguar?
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall the highway code used to say you could temporarily exceed the speed limit in order to complete an overtaking manouevre. Now it just says move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking. Presumably a speed cam could confirm you are overtaking, but a blanket gps control could not. So the implication is that you can only overtake a slower vehicle at a speed not exceeding the legal limit. This makes it a lengthy manouevre - so anticipate sitting behing caravans and tractors for miles.

Edit: for clarity
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
Kremmen wrote:

I agree with your sentiment but say your in a strange part of the country on an unrestricted road. You are overtaking a slower car and you suddenly find yourself passing a speed sign hidden by overhanging trees or the like.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

I agree with your sentiment but say your in a strange part of the country on an unrestricted road. You are overtaking a slower car and you suddenly find yourself passing a speed sign hidden by overhanging trees or the like.

I agree; if the speed limited activated in that scenario then it could cause a problem.

No doubt there are other problem scenarios which would have to be thought out and handled before the system was adopted widely.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having traveled many miles on Indian roads during various visits, I am almost certain any reduction of power during overtaking will cause huge accidents. It is going to be a steep learning curve for most Indian drivers.

The first time I cringed in terror (and I mean terror) behind the dash - no seat belts either - was when the driver of my car absolutely refused to backdown despite the approaching overloaded truck and squeezed through at the last moment, is recorded permanantly in my brain. My friend sitting on the bench seat next to me told me off for making the driver nervous! The overtaking scene in the 'Marigold Hotel' movie is not so far from reality.
Since then I always try to sit in the back.

You would think that with the old Fords, Fiats, and Morris Oxfords which take over a mile to reach 60mph it would be safer, but in fact just because they take so long to pick up momentum the driver then does not dare slow down. Add to that the modern Mercs, Golfs, Toyotas, etc, 0-60 in seconds, and some of them souped up, and they wait for no man or beast!

However you are talking about India - the population take democracy seriously especially "How dare the Government tell me not to do this" It could almost be their motto.

So they will soon find a way round this.

Last edited by CDK on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
markjw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what happens when you are doing 70mph on a motorway and the GPS loses it signal or suddenly decides that you are on a ajoining road that has a 30mph limit?
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the crowded city/town centres you would rarely be doing over 20mph and there are normally plenty of little shunts and prangs.
But on the Motorway or Highway as they call them, it would be "Crash, Bang, Wallop, Over and Out"!
I once asked an Indian friend why he drove so recklessley and he put it down to fate: "If it is your fate to die or be injured on that day, then it makes no difference how carefully you drive - reckless or careful makes no difference, so whats the point of worrying?"
He thought his own driving was very good and I was just a soft foreigner.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: