Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Date line of devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Date line of devices

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gluey
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 27, 2005
Posts: 208
Location: North East UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Date line of devices Reply with quote

Hi All,
As TT say my 540 is a end of life device, i am lookingf for a new unit.
the 825 seems to fit my purpose but can anyone give me a date line of the TT units to see whats new,old and end of life?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peterc10
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Aug 21, 2005
Posts: 1761
Location: Kent, England

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Date line of deevices Reply with quote

gluey wrote:

As TT say my 540 is a end of life device,

Don't believe them, they are just trying to sell you a new unit. You will find many posters on here who will be able to explain exactly why TT units have been moving backwards rather than forwards with their newer units.
_________________
Peter
HTC Sensation
Sygic GPS for Europe (No more TT "support"!)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1933

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gluey, it's far too complicated to give an accurate reply Iḿ afraid but by using these tables, TT car and TT refurbished you should be able to work out what is what.

However, +1 for peterc10's comments.
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from the above comments... what (if anything!) is wrong with your 540?

I've got a Go940 and apart from it's old and knackered battery and the internal memory possibly being on it's way out (both of which are easily fixable) it's still going strong.

And although I have access to a new top of the range Go1005 I still prefer the 940 for a lot of reasons, it's always the one I pick up first when I go to the car.
_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14962
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"end of life" just means they won't support it anymore. however there are loads of people here who will help you out with any issues should you have any.

to be honest, even with a new device you'd get better support from us anyway!!

MaFt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gluey
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 27, 2005
Posts: 208
Location: North East UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
My 540 is okay but i no longer have map updates and no live services.
The cost to put these back into operation is nearly the cost of a new device.

I do fear that the new models are not as good as the older units.
I don't like the idea of not been able to backup the new units using windows.
With the withdrawal of google search and the problems with traffic lately iam not missing live services yet.
Just think that with lifetime maps and live services for a year on a new device seems tempting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:

My 540 is okay but i no longer have map updates and no live services.
The cost to put these back into operation is nearly the cost of a new device.
---
With the withdrawal of google search and the problems with traffic lately iam not missing live services yet.
---
Just think that with lifetime maps and live services for a year on a new device seems tempting.


In the UK there's only a temporary offer of free lifetime maps. I'm not sure if it's available on all models or just some.

If you're no missing LIVE services you can drop those out of the cost equation, and rather than re-subscribing to map updates, you could just buy a new UK map now and only update it in a couple of years when you notice it starting to be inaccurate.
That would only cost you 40, quite a bit less than any new model.

Personally, I cannot see any point in rushing to get four map updates a year when it's VERY unlikely you'll notice any difference at all.
Unless there is a new road building program that directly affects me, I reckon once a year or even once every two years would be enough for me.
_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gluey
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 27, 2005
Posts: 208
Location: North East UK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
gluey wrote:

My 540 is okay but i no longer have map updates and no live services.
The cost to put these back into operation is nearly the cost of a new device.
---
With the withdrawal of google search and the problems with traffic lately iam not missing live services yet.
---
Just think that with lifetime maps and live services for a year on a new device seems tempting.


In the UK there's only a temporary offer of free lifetime maps. I'm not sure if it's available on all models or just some.

If you're no missing LIVE services you can drop those out of the cost equation, and rather than re-subscribing to map updates, you could just buy a new UK map now and only update it in a couple of years when you notice it starting to be inaccurate.
That would only cost you 40, quite a bit less than any new model.

Personally, I cannot see any point in rushing to get four map updates a year when it's VERY unlikely you'll notice any difference at all.
Unless there is a new road building program that directly affects me, I reckon once a year or even once every two years would be enough for me.


Thanks Andy, i agree about the maps not needing 4 a year.
I like the hd traffic and iam just using my rds dock now.

Hd traffic is the thing i will miss the most but i don't think 50 a year is a fair price for the service they are giving.
Hopefully hd 6 will change that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 14881
Location: Keynsham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Hopefully hd 6 will change that?

Good joke, good joke, Clap

(However, HD Traffic at 47.50 a year is still not too bad within range)

As for updating being close to the price of a new satnav, I don't think you'd get anything even close to the 540 for around 85 and some of us think a "new" model would actually be going in the opposite direction where upgrade is concerned!
_________________
Dennis

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
21.054 (24 May 23)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping