Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help to understand fundamentals Or bin the GO720?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help to understand fundamentals Or bin the GO720?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
witsend12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Help to understand fundamentals Or bin the GO720?! Reply with quote

After a long time trying to work with long uncustomised replies from TT Support, this web forum offers hope and commonsense! A combination of factors [TTCS incompetence and my ignorance] led to my lengthy non-use of the GO720 ['reconditioned' deal with 2GB internal memory & W.E. maps bought 3 years ago].
Main problem arose when I succumbed to 'Map Update' invitation and coughed up £70 in July 2011. This immediately triggered 'No room in Internal Memory' so I bought Sandisk SDHC 4MB. Using TT Home and TTCS umpteen-point instructions could never get it working. I perhaps overlooked full SD formatting procedure for a while but throughout have found TT Home unhelpful and opaque. Along the way it's updated itself to Home 2 v2.9 but is still unfriendly e.g. Manage Your Device/Items on Device is always greyed.
The odd thing is that when I ignored TTCS instructions and fiddled a bit, a map eventually loaded but placed itself onto the supposedly too small IM not the SDHC! I haven't a clue why and whether this is the map bought in July 2011 or the original from 3 years ago! - it's 1838 MB and version 890.4222. Can anyone tell me?
I initially figured that maybe the SDHC card was u/s but found I could move any file between it & my C drive. Now I find that its 4GB holds only one small folder - poi stuff!
The GO now functions but I'm left feeling that in the future some little update will impose itself and declare 'IM full' and make it unusable again. Can someone please de-mistify this for me and advise whether I should go outside TTHome, using WinExp to delete what is in the IM and put it onto the SD card - or is that tempting fate?
Until I read one of your posts, my mindset was that the user can only move files between TT memories and C drive using TT programming [sorry if that seems dumb but I'm sure I'm not alone].
BTW, TTCS said how sorry they were about non-resolution and offered two options:
- I pay approx £82 for them to 'repair it'
- 20% off new TT purchase via their weblink; this for example would probably get me a TT XXL Classic W.E. satnav for £106.
Don't fancy either! Funny thing is, as a retiree, I only ever wanted a working product with spoken street names and reasonably up to date maps, not oversold updates, real-time traffic, or integration with other devices. So a few tips might help me keep this pesky device operational a while longer.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map version 890 is the latest until the new one is released hopefully sometime this week.
If the map is working ok on the internal memory then create a folder on your desktop and make a full windows backup to that folder. Once this is done then you can move the map folder to the sd card and the unit will boot to internal memory but use the map from the card.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
... but use the map from the card.
You might have to go to Switch Maps to encourage the device to use the map on the SD Card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
create a folder on your desktop and make a full windows backup to that folder.
Just an aside, and I know that loads of people do it, but it's not good practice to put data folders on your desktop. It should go somewhere in 'My documents' or your main data storage area as a permanent (periodically updated) backup.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi witsend12, there is a list of important TomTom things here -
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045

No.1 covers how to safely back up the data stored on your 720 to a computer.

Just say if you are unsure about anything.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
witsend12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who replied to my cry for help.

I copied all the files from the Internal Memory to a Backup folder on my PC, then inserted the SD card to PC and copied the files back. In WinExp, both IM and SD have approx. 2GB of folders and files.

When device is switched on, it displays TWO internal memories, one of which must the SD card, both with 1944MB stored. The only way to differentiate them is by free space as the SD card has nearly 2GB free. A but odd, as before it identified the ‘SD card’.

I then selected Operate my Go and it informed me that TT Home needs to download a new file so I accepted this. This appears to be a function to simulate the device screen and commands on my PC [can’t see that it is any improvement on previous screen view]. Anyway, it planned a trip from my home town to Nancy, France OK so it’s working.

Someone suggested Switch Maps. The only function I could find was Manage My Go/Device/Change Device which brought up the 2 IMs and said that the one selected is the one with free space i.e. the SD card. So we seem to be using the SD card now [I hope].

‘Update my GO’ offers to update to W Europe map 895.4438. Bit of a surprise as I did not expect to have any rights to further updates, having paid a year ago. When it starts to update, it gives me no choice as to which memory/card it will use so I aborted for the moment. However, I’m guessing that it will update to the SD card.

Having lost total confidence in the TT, I’m feeling more comfortable after everyone’s input. Final thought: is there any point in deleting the maps and files from the orginal internal memory?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that it is all making sense witsend12.

If you have got your 720 up and running, the way you like it, PLEASE make another backup of it to your PC using Windows Explorer before doing anything else.

If TT are offering you a new map, grab it! BUT, before doing so, I would suggest that you buy a larger SD card to put it on. A 4Gb, Class6, SDHC card would be perfect. If you are going to store music, photos, etc. on it too, get an 8Gb card.

The maps for Europe that TT are offering nowadays tend to be at, or over, 2Gb in size. With only 2Gb memory you would probably be offered a smaller, zoned map.

If you are only ever going to travel in the UK and France the "North Zone" and 2Gb would suffice, but if one day you fancy a trip further afield, it could be a problem.

There is a school of thought that a good quality, moderrn SD card is quicker at accessing the stored information than the SatNav's older, internal memory . Consequently, many people store all folders and files on the SD card and not internally.

Personally I have my "Working" files on an 8Gb SD card and a copy of the "original" TT setup on internal memory, just in case the TT throws a wobbly. Belt and Braces!

Note: If the TT detects an SD card, it will always use the files on that first before looking on the internal memory. (Apart from Map Selection as mentioned in a earlier post).

I also find that taking the SD card out of the TT and putting it into the PC when updating the SpeedCAms much easier than Booting up the TT, putting it in it's cradle, answering the on-screen questions, etc.

EDIT - I've just re-read your post witsend12, you already have an SD card greater than 2Gb, sorry, I missed that originally.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

witsend12 wrote:
When device is switched on, it displays TWO internal memories, one of which must the SD card, both with 1944MB stored. The only way to differentiate them is by free space as the SD card has nearly 2GB free. A but odd, as before it identified the ‘SD card’.

There is a file in the root (main) folder of the SD card called autorun.inf . Edit this with Notepad and change the "label" line to something like...

label=TomTom SD card

When you next connect your TT, it will show this name in Explorer. I have done similar on my internal drive as well (I went a bit overboard and did separate icons as well).

When you copied the files across, this overwrote any previous version you had so called them both the same name. It is also used in preference to the volume label if that is set.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand by... long post....

(EDIT: Most of which has already been covered in the last two replies which weren't there when I STARTED typing, but I got sidetracked by a TT map download of my own going wrong!)

If you like Gerry's idea of the inf file, then see below as I've packaged up some suitable files AND different icons for the SD card for you (they might even have come from Gerry originally, we worked it out between us a long time ago!)

----------------

witsend12 wrote:

I copied all the files from the Internal Memory to a Backup folder on my PC, then inserted the SD card to PC and copied the files back. In WinExp, both IM and SD have approx. 2GB of folders and files.

That's one way of doing it.....
You could also have JUST moved the specific map folder onto the SD card.
Both ways will work fine, but there are minor advantages and disadvantages to both methods.
I tend to keep everything on the internal memory EXCEPT any large maps which I keep on the SD card. Seems easiest to update stuff that way.

----------------

witsend12 wrote:

If that worries or irritates you, it's very easy to add a small "autorun.inf" file to the internal memory and to the SD card which will get Windows to call them anything you like. You can also have different icons for both.

Here's what my Go940 descriptions and icons look like.

If you want to have something similar, I've packaged the relevant files for each into a zip file you can download here.

It should extract to two folders - one for the internal memory and one for the SD card. You place the two files from each folder individually onto the internal memory and the SD card (not inside any folders), but you'll probably want to open each .inf file in a text editor first in order to change the wording in the forth line of text from "Go940" to whatever else you like. (Notepad will do fine to edit them).

----------------

witsend12 wrote:
‘Update my GO’ offers to update to W Europe map 895.4438. ... When it starts to update, it gives me no choice as to which memory/card it will use so I aborted for the moment. However, I’m guessing that it will update to the SD card.

Home should give you an option of where to store stuff when it FIRST opens...

However, it has been known to STILL get it wrong and install to the wrong place (or to both!). Home is not the sharpest knife in the software cutlery drawer.

----------------

Quote:
Having lost total confidence in the TT, I’m feeling more comfortable after everyone’s input. Final thought: is there any point in deleting the maps and files from the orginal internal memory?

See point #1 above. I would do it the other way round and keep everything on the internal memory EXCEPT the map.

But just in case there are any differences between versions in the two places now, the safest way to do it would be to delete everything from the internal memory first and then MOVE everything except the map folder back into internal memory.

..or you could quit while you're winning! Very Happy
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you like Gerry's idea of the inf file, then see below as I've packaged up some suitable files AND different icons for the SD card for you (they might even have come from Gerry originally, we worked it out between us a long time ago!)

Could be the same one. Mine are on this page that hasn't been updated in over 4 years. Laughing
TomTom icons

I was going for the easy fix. Just note that Home will use it's own icons as on the screenshot above.

Edit: URL corrected. GerryC
Brodit ProClip mount

Last edited by GerryC on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any DRIVE icons on that page Gerry.

Mentioning 'Home' rings a bell.... If I didn't nick them from you, I made them from screen grabs from Home. Laughing
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops now corrected. That will teach me not to look at other pages when I'm ready to copy. Embarassed

Gerry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: