Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 1005 Europe for £143
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 1005 Europe for £143

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dchbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: TomTom 1005 Europe for £143 Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know about Amazon offering the 1005 for only £143. Not sure why but the price has dropped by over £100 in the last couple of days.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-1005-Countries-Twitter-Advisor/dp/B006NK5NOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345326969&sr=8-1

Ive been keeping an eye on prices for a while now as im looking to replace a 940 that is getting on a bit. When i saw this price I purchased it on the spot.

Hope someone else benefits from this price too!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they will be announcing new top end models 31 August–5 September at IFA Berlin

Hence the UK Go Live 1000 onsale clearance at Comet £139, Europe £149, Halfords £149 and now your find

All of which are a real bargain with the 12 months included HD, Speed Cameras and now 90 Days free map updates (typically 2 map updates) FOC too
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks dchbrown; I managed to order one from Amazon.

A cautionary tale; I previously tried to purchase a Go Live 1000 from Halfords. Having reserved a unit online and driven 75 miles to the nearest branch with stock I was not pleased to discover an unsealed box with HD Traffic that had expired in April this year.

Halfords were pretty good and tried to find another unit but it seems they have almost no stock. To be fair to Halfords they have offered to compensate me for my fuel costs, but please be aware they have very little stock of these units.
dchbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the imminent expiry of the current live services on my 940 that prompted the purchase - when you take the £47.50 i would have paid for renewing those into account I got the 1005 for £95!!
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon is out of stock now. Oh well, just saved me £143 pounds.
dchbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is Amazon now quoting 1-2 months for delivery the price has jumped back up to £248.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:

A cautionary tale; I previously tried to purchase a Go Live 1000 from Halfords. Having reserved a unit online and driven 75 miles to the nearest branch with stock I was not pleased to discover an unsealed box with HD Traffic that had expired in April this year.

Halfords were pretty good and tried to find another unit but it seems they have almost no stock. To be fair to Halfords they have offered to compensate me for my fuel costs, but please be aware they have very little stock of these units.

Well my £143 1005 arrived from Amazon and was faulty so it will have to be returned.

(Sigh) Perhaps the 1000 series and me are just not destined to be together...Smile
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
pward wrote:

Well my £143 1005 arrived from Amazon and was faulty so it will have to be returned.

(Sigh) Perhaps the 1000 series and me are just not destined to be together...Smile

What was faulty about it?

Most faults are user error.

Am not saying it was this time!
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

What was faulty about it?

Most faults are user error.

Am not saying it was this time!

It never booted properly, displaying a cogwheel and then a screen with a red 'X' on it asking to be connected to a computer and MyTomTom. MyTomTom then said it was repairing the device and downloaded some files. The device then rebooted and we were back to the cogwheel and then the red 'X' screen. Repeat ad nauseum.

It seemed stuck in a loop and the answer seemed to be getting into recovery mode. However no matter how long I held the on/off switch down the device would not display the bootscreen required as a precursor to getting to recovery mode; it just booted to the cogwheel and then the red 'X screen.

After a frustrating afternoon working with TomTom support they decided it was faulty. Amazon will ship me a replacement at no extra cost (good) but they have none in stock and so can't ship for 2-5 weeks (not so good).

I still have the device until it is collected next week; if there is anything TomTom has missed and there is something I can try to breathe life into it I would be most grateful!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A red X, normally means some important files are missing or corrupted in the operating system, but there is nothing a user can do with a 100x series as there is no way of adding such missing files.

Return is your only option in this instance unfortunately.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
I still have the device until it is collected next week; if there is anything TomTom has missed and there is something I can try to breathe life into it I would be most grateful!

Try this ......

Once you see the red X, connect to the computer. Hopefully, what will happen is the last good application will get pushed to the device (it may take a few minutes to start). If it seems to be doing so and completes the download, then do a drum reset on the unit (holding the power button about 15 seconds till the drum sound is heard).

Then, open MyTomTom and, hopefully, a newer application will get offered for the device.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
pward wrote:

Try this ......

Once you see the red X, connect to the computer. Hopefully, what will happen is the last good application will get pushed to the device (it may take a few minutes to start). If it seems to be doing so and completes the download, then do a drum reset on the unit (holding the power button about 15 seconds till the drum sound is heard).

Then, open MyTomTom and, hopefully, a newer application will get offered for the device.

Thanks for the suggestion David. I have tried it but the device still refuses to play ball. It's annoying but at least Amazon have agreed to replace it for me at the original price.

Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: