Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best nav app with CamerAlert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best nav app with CamerAlert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Best nav app with CamerAlert Reply with quote

I have a new android phone (Galaxy S3), my first smartphone ever, and have downloaded the Cameralert app. However, I cannot work out how to use it with the free Google navigation app.

I am used to using the database on a TomTom. Does it work in the same way on the smartphone, ie camera icons appearing on the nav map and an audible warning as you're going along?

Does it work with google navigation? What navigation app works best with CamerAlert? Don't mind if it costs.

Are TomTom releasing a navigation app for android? Any definate date of release? Would I be better waiting for this to come out?

I prefer the panoramic view, like a TomTom, rather than an overhead veiw of a map, so any navigation app needs to incorporate this.

Any suggestions / pointers / tips would be much appreciated.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best nav app with CamerAlert Reply with quote

willis wrote:
I am used to using the database on a TomTom. Does it work in the same way on the smartphone, ie camera icons appearing on the nav map and an audible warning as you're going along?
No, You get audible alerts and popups, but no icons on the map unless you use the maps in CA, but there is no nav in CA
Quote:

Does it work with google navigation?
Yes, it runs in the background but does not display its icons on Google Nav
Quote:
Are TomTom releasing a navigation app for android? Any definate date of release? Would I be better waiting for this to come out?
?????

Quote:
I prefer the panoramic view, like a TomTom, rather than an overhead veiw of a map, so any navigation app needs to incorporate this.
By 'panoramic' I assume you mean 3D display rather than a 2D map like display?
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT, Thanks for the reply. Ah, I didn't realise it just kicked in when you approached a camera. I understand now, thanks.

Yes, I mean 3D rather than 2D. Considering getting Sygic rather than using Google Navigation as it seems to have alot of recommendations on the web. Any views/pointers on Sygic with CamerAlert?

I am sure I heard that TomTom were doing an android navigation system (like the one they have for iPhone) - is this just rumour? I would hold off paying for a nav app and will wait for the TomTom one as it's what I am used to, but don't want to wait months.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis wrote:

I am sure I heard that TomTom were doing an android navigation system (like the one they have for iPhone) - is this just rumour? I would hold off paying for a nav app and will wait for the TomTom one as it's what I am used to, but don't want to wait months.

Hi Willis,

There is a post running on the Forums at the moment about TT for Android.
I think the consensus is that they have missed the Summer Holidays window and it may appear at the end of the year in time for the Christmas stocking.
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willis

A similar query come up on another thread (see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=90938&highlight= and this applies to you, the CoPilot GPS only provides 2D view but the full, paid for version, does provide 3D map views.

As I wrote in the thread CoPilot GPS is free so worth a try and one big advantage is the maps are stored on your device an so a continious internet connection is not required
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards sygic, rather than copilot, mainly due to the 3d view on the maps, copilot seems too "zoomed out" in 3d to what I am used to on TT. The features seem mainly similar.

When on the motorbike this makes a big difference to me as I can gauge the twistyness of the road coming up (not a good thing to do I know, but it helped me when in I was in the black forest earlier this year). Wink
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TelMap also has 3D.
EDIT - If you can't find it in GooglePlay, go to their website and download the app from there.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
andersharrison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a bit of an old thread, but for people looking I think it's worth updating. The latest news is that TomTom app for Android will be released in October.
http://smarthouse.com.au/Automotive/Industry/E5V9M3F2

As a once loyal TomTom customer (subscribed to map updates, etc.), who's now a convert to the free Google Nav, I think TomTom well and truly dropped the ball by waiting so long. Be interesting to see what their pricing strategy is like.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see The Android version of TomTom being any cheaper than that for the iPhone, which makes it about £50, which I believe is too much - I think they'd make more money pricing it as competition to CoPilot & Sygic et al.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: