Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Road routes Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to used the satmap as a satnav and get it to display a road route without having to enter individual waypoints.

I see there are a number of sites which do route planners for cars but do any of them generate a file which can be imported into the satmap. I tried one web site and it appeared ok on the map on the web site but all I got was a staight line from start to finish after I imported the file.

Did I miss something or is it just not possible to do this.
Geoff_M29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Would this help?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 issues here. Your satmap cannot work as a satnav unless you have a routeable map installed, and I'm not sure if any exist for a satmap? I know that on some Garmin handhelds you can install their routeable road maps and then they also work as a car satnav. You can also download free maps that are 'routeable' and work on the Garmins but you don't get things like full address searches etc.

The other option is to do what you are trying which is to plan a route and then download it to your satmap. The problem as you've discovered though is that because you don't have a routeable map the 'route' is simply a straight line bewteen points ...

One option I guess would be (assuming you use a program that can export tracks in the form your satmap could read) to export not a route but a track, which would give you a line on your satmap but clearly no spoken or written directions.

If I were you, and you need a satnav, I would either buy a cheap one or get rid of your satmap and buy a Garmin.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is very easy to do what you are requesting.

You can use Google Maps (I think you can use google earth as well but I've not tried) to generate your road map.

I'm not replying from my PC so can't be precise on the instructions but the basic steps are below and the full instructions are in the SATSYCN manual not the SATMAP manual you can find this manual from the help link in satsync or no doubt it is on the Satmap website.

1) create a route in google maps as normal with a start and end point. this will generate the route and direction and a link.
2) copy the link
3) Connect the Satmap and open Satsync where there is a special button to allow you to paste in the link then down load the instructions.

The result is a road map with instructions. Each way point will contain the next step of the directions. If you have "show titles" enabled in settings then as you approach the way point the first bit of the directions should pop up.

If you need more info let me know, also love to know how you get on with it
My Blog Geocache Trails
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... if that works it'll be great, looking forward to an update!
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:

It is very easy to do what you are requesting.

WOW your right it's easy when you know how. I didn't think to look in the SATSYNC manual.

I just did a test route and it appeared on the satmap with way points.

Much appreciate the help. I may have an 80 mile journey next weekend without a navigator in the car and this will be very useful as I will be able to confirm where I am and where I should be.

This forum just goes to show there are a lot of experts out there all willing to share their knowledge ahd help us less experienced user.

Many thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result ... sure is a big plus for satmap, they ought to market it more!
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Importing road route from google map not working Reply with quote

Last year I used Gibbbo10 advice and it worked. I am now trying to create another route and the import but satsync displays an error message

failed to import these files and then displays the file name with a klm extension

Has anyone any idea on what may have changed in the last 12 months to stop this working?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: