Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading weekly updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading weekly updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbonniebell1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Downloading weekly updates Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to this so please bear with me!. I have downloaded the speed camera database for my TomTom Go Live 1000 and all is fine. If I download weekly updates do I need to delete the existing ones on my device or does the new update overwrite it?. Many thanks in advance.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome.

I don't have a Nav3 Device, but according to the Installation Guide, Step 14 states:
'For subsequent updates, you need only install the latest xxxx.ov2 files from the weekly release. Install as you have done here and answer YES to the 'files exist, overwrite Y/N' dialogue that will appear.'

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a Nav3 model (Go1005) and can confirm the above is true.

Now... If you use Firefox, Opera etc. as your web browser, then when you are in MyTomTom's "Add community content" screen, you should be able to select ALL the new .ov2 files in one go.
Unfortunately, if you use Internet Explorer, there's a bug which means you have to select them one by one. Quite slow and boring!

But there's a way round that. For speed and simplicity, you might like to loook at the "zip file" method described here.

That's a special new method where you can download a slightly differently packed version of the camera zip file from here (the same cameras as the normal version, just none of the text files and stuff) and upload that to the TomTom in a single step.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is possible with the newer Nav3 (Go1000) models but something I do every couple of months or so on my older machines is to delete all the pgsw camera .ov2 files and then install a fresh download rather than simply "overwrite".

Its only a bit of housekeeping in case I load a different/wrong file type or a rogue file somehow creeps in. It just helps to keep it all tidy and help avoid any confusion/errors.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes AliOnHols, that's still possible on the new NAV3 models.
But you can only DELETE files one at a time in MyTomTom and to do each one takes 3 mouse clicks and a wait while it does it, so it is a long boring process to remove all the PGPSW camera files.
(I know, I've done it several times...)
lbonniebell1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks all
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
...........That's a special new method where you can download a slightly differently packed version of the camera zip file from here (the same cameras as the normal version, just none of the text files and stuff) and upload that to the TomTom in a single step.

Hi Andy_P, I read your above comment and it filed me with hope that the TT zipCameras contained just ov2 files so that I wouldn't have to worry about deleting out the various .bmp, .txt, .html & directory files from the standard download before transferring to the TT.
Sadly not. HeyHo!

I downloaded and unzipped the TTzipCameras and then the TTnormalCameras for European SpeedZoned including France and Switzerland but not including pMobile nor voices and compared the ov2 files from both downloads.

The zip download has 40 ov2 files @414.7kB and the normal download has 40 ov2 files @430.4kB . None of the individual files are the same size as its counterpart, some are quite different.

So it appears that there are ov2 files and then there are ov2 files.

I Really must get out more.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case you may have found a problem....

As I understand it (I did the original experiments with the technique after being told about it by someone at TomTom) the situation is this:

1. The "zip" file uploaded to the TomTom must ONLY contain files that MyTomTom expects to see (i.e. .ov2, .bmp and .ogg)

2. Therefore the standard PGPSW download zip would fail (because it also includes various text files for licences, links etc.

3. Therefore, MaFt prepared a special version of the zip file which ONLY had the three file types required.

4. However AFAIK, they should be EXACTLY the same as the normal download pack. If not, it looks like a gremlin has crept in.

I'll do the same as you and see if I can work out what's going on (unless MaFt sees this and can shed any light!

BUT as an aside..... assuming the data is right.... it should still be a good solution for you as you DON'T need to strip out any of the extra files. Just upload the "special" version with all the bmps and oggs included and it should just do it, all in one step.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see what you find Andy_P.
Sadly, I use a mish-mash of bmp files so I'll still need to Ctrl+X. Thanks though.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I've downloaded both versions and have to agree the ov2 files are different sizes.

I've no explanation for that, so we'll have to call in MaFt to help out. I'll ask...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay replying, but we now have an answer, and it's panic over!

The files were different sizes NOT because the number of cameras listed were different, but because the direction prefix (NE-Gatso etc.) had been left off. Those two characters, multiplied by all the camera locations accounted for the difference in size.

As those prefixes aren't used by TomToms, it would make no difference, but to avoid confusion, MaFt has tweaked things so they are now included, and the files should now look exactly the same size in the "zipfile" version and the normal ov2 version.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the update Andy_P.
Sorry for the extra work I have caused MaFt.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: