Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Duplicate Cameras? (if running both systems)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplicate Cameras? (if running both systems)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enty01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Duplicate Cameras? (if running both systems) Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been asked!

I'm an absolute beginner - If I download the Pocket GPS safety camera warnings onto my TomTom Start 2 (basic western europe model) will I get 2 lots of warnings for the same cameras (i.e.) TomTom & Pocket GPS?

There is an option in the Menu to disable camera alerts, but would this also disable the Pocket GPS ones as well?

Or do I delete all the TomTom camera files & then add all the Pocket GPS ones to the western_europe folder?

And lastly - I am having the same problem as many other TomTom users with the speed warning icon showing the incorrect speed - a glitch that their technicians are 'working on' Will the Pocket GPS cameras show the right speed warning (i.e.) 30 for a 30MPH speed limit etc

Just want to make sure before I spend my £19.99

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a perfectly good question....

However, there's not going to be a problem, the two camera alert systems (PGPSW's and TomTom's own) are handled in completely different ways on the device, and you can run either or both independently.

------

PWPSW's work just like any other 'Points of interest' files.... you set up the warnings in the "Manage POIs" Preferences menu and you can set the distance and the sound warning individually for each camera type and speed (assuming you've opted to download the full "speed-zoned" version of the database).

You can choose to see all the camera locations on the map and driving view all the time or just to show the active cameras as you approach them on the road.
Don't forget you can also have a VOICE warning for every camera type and speed, so it tells you what the speed limit is as well as what sort of camera it is.

----

TomTom's own system on the other hand, is dealt with in the "Services" sub-menu on the TomTom.
Under "Services / Speed cameras" there is an option to turn their warnings on or off (this DOESN'T turn off the PGPSW ones), and you also get to choose a warning sound for each different camera type.
Note there's no easy way to get a voice warning and no way at all to get the speed limit announced, it's only shown on screen.

---

Both systems will run on the unit side-by-side quite happily together.

In fact we often suggest people do exactly that - in order to prove to themselves how much better the PGPSW data is! I'm still amazed at how many cameras are missing or wrong on TT's data.

When you're bored with the 'bings' and 'bongs' of the TT-supplied alerts, you can just switch them off in the "Services/speed cameras" menu and carry on using the PGPSW ones on their own.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your last question..... rest assured that the PGPSW alerts will tell you the correct speed limit.

I thought the kmh/mph bug had been sorted on the TomTom system, that's been around for yonks!
Enty01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks - just doing my subscription now - Thanks again

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: