Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Voice Alert Problems TT 710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Voice Alert Problems TT 710

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskellMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Camera Voice Alert Problems TT 710 Reply with quote

I have a TomTom 710. If I install the voice alerts in the Sounds directory, every time I remove the SD card, I have to re-associate the voice with the Camera POI. This is soooo painful.

Moving the .ogg files back into the Map directory used to work, but now it seems to just freeze the device when I try and reset the "Warn when near POI" settings

Why do I remove the SD card two reasons, you ask?
1) sometimes the card gets dislodged if the mount falls off the windscreen which happens from time to time.
2) Using the USB slot on my laptop is more convenient and faster.
3) The supplied cradle is shoddy - the power lead keeps falling out - if this is happening during an update it is likely to crash the TomTom (and this may be the cause of my present problems - perhaps I have corrupted the filesystem). Also, it now fails to connect to host machine (MacBook Pro 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard).

I have tried downloading a clean version of the TomTom app from TomTom Home
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for no other replies... my excuse is I've been away!

Hmmm.... Don't think I've come across these exact symptoms before.

Some first thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Are you using one of the new "official" voice sets (that you can download at the same time as the camera locations files, or one of the older ones from the original download page here?

2. If one of the old sets, try the new ones.

3. what happens if you remove ALL the PGPSW camera files and then install just one speed/type? (e.g. install the Gato30 .ov2 .bmp and .ogg files only)
Try that using both the 'sounds folder' and 'map folder' methods.

4. Have a look at this previous post, concerning missing pMobile alerts
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=479611#479611 -probably not relevant, but might be.[/url]
MaskellMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes. I removed the old voices and installed the new ones the new ones
2) see above
3) I had already tried something similar. I installed all the latest camera files and just 1 voice file for one particular camera (Gatso30 as it happens). For cameras other than the Gatso30, I get a dialogue inviting me to choose one of the standard sounds. For the Gatso30, if the .ogg file is in the Map file, the settings procedure freezes after having chosen the voice. If I put it in the sounds directory, it works OK, but looses the association with the chosen voice alert whenever the SD card is removed from the TomTOm.

I suspected that my filesystem was corrupt, so removed the TomTom application and downloaded it again, but same result.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskellMan wrote:
... but looses the association with the chosen voice alert whenever the SD card is removed from the TomTOm.
If the SD Card falls out when the Device is working, it's the equivalent to removing the card without using Remove Safely. This will corrupt whichever file is being written to at the time.

Can I assume that you have the same Map on the SD Card, as well as the Internal Memory.

If so, after you set up the Warn When Near, you will need to copy the MapSettings.cfg from the SD Card Map Folder, to the Map Folder in Internal Memory. This is the File that holds the settings.

IIRC you would also need an identical Sounds Folder in both locations.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

Can I assume that you have the same Map on the SD Card, as well as the Internal Memory. (etc.)

AFAIK, there's no internal memory on a Go710, Richard Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "workround" I can think of at the moment is this:

You said that you CAN use the TomTom as the card reader, it's just more convenient to take the card out and use an external reader....

So get all the voice alert settings correct, and then USING THE TOMTOM AS THE CARD READER, make a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file (in your current maps folder) and re-save it OUTSIDE the folder.

It should just sit there and be ignored, but as soon as you need it, just put a copy of it back into the map folder again, overwriting the one that's there.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Embarassed

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Embarassed

That was immediately followed by me doing exactly the same thing!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=583358#583358

...where I said an XXL had an SD card slot. Rolling Eyes

My excuse is man-flu!

Best regards

Andy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
My excuse is man-flu!
Mine is exhaustion. Shocked

johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera Voice Alert Problems TT 710 Reply with quote

MaskellMan wrote:
I have a TomTom 710. If I install the voice alerts in the Sounds directory, every time I remove the SD card, I have to re-associate the voice with the Camera POI. This is soooo painful.

MaskellMan.

I have a TT Go 710 and am also on SnowLeopard 10.6.8. However, I use the consolidated by type rather than consolidated by speed files but the steps below should work on both.
I used to get this problem but here is how I fixed it.

1. Use the mains dock cradle with the SD card still plugged in to the TomTom. Mains power is only needed to charge the TomTom - it is not needed to power the USB interface if you plug straight into the Mac.
2. When updating the database, make sure you drag the old speed camera OV2 & BMP files to Trash and empty trash before copying the new OV2 & BMP files across to the TomTom
3. When finished copying the new files. open Terminal and type:
dot_clean -m (and then drag your map folder onto the terminal window to complete the command line path to the folder).

The first time I did this, I also used the dot_clean -m command on the Sounds folder and root folder of the ToTom as well as my map folder.

The dot_clean -m command removes all the .prefix files. TT gets confused when it sees these - do you find that when selecting the sounds; each one is listed twice? This gets rid of that.

As long as the names of the OGG sound files match exactly the name of the relevant speed camera OV2 files, you should not have to re-associate these more than once.

Since following these steps, I haven't had the problem since.

John.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: