Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - is TomTom for Android coming after all?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

is TomTom for Android coming after all?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:

I have never found the approaching speed limit change warning to hinder viewing of important information. It has always (as far as I can recall) displayed in the upper half of the map display.

The latest update from Sygic (v 12.1.0) has reinstated the current road information along the bottom of the map à la Tomtom

Yes, and the upper half, along the top, is where you (sometimes) get road signs showing you which one to follow, or even the name of a road to turn on to, or actually see on the '3d' map view what you're supposed to be doing at the approaching junction/roundabout.

The huge speed limit change countdown info dominates and hogs valuable screen space and to my mind is totally unnecessary. Camera warnings are appreciated, but even then the loud beep is a good enough alert.

I must check I've got that latest update. Thanks for pointing me to the important re-installed feature.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
navtrav wrote:
Sygic, ignored by pocketworld reviewers

A bit harsh... It's been reviewed twice for Windows Mobile and, to be honest, other than POI support it's not really changed that much...

MaFt

!!!! – I don’t know how else to express myself. Windows? Have we been teleported back to the last century?

Never mind that, Pocketworld is struggling to keep up with this century, being fixated by the now wrinkly looking Apple. This spending so much energy on trying to get an i-phone app.... it’s tunnel vision that does not seem to have noticed that Android devices are swamping the world.

So, where’s the Android app? Where’s the easy Sygic POI’s downloads? Where’s the latest review of Android navigators?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
So, where’s the Android app?

Uhm we've had an Android app for almost as much time as we've had an iOS app.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Uhm we've had an Android app for almost as much time as we've had an iOS app.

Sorry. I must have missed the hype (that iOS has had) somewhere along the line. However, I still find it hard to find Android sat-nav advice and an easy way to marry your excellent database downloads with, say, Sygic - for the want of knowing any better Android navigator.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav, There have been plenty of conversation and discussions on this forum about Android, Android Apps (especially CamerAlert) and Android SatNav Apps.

Where have you been for the last few years?

If you have a specific question, ask it. If any members can help you out, I'm sure they shall.

For a starters have a look Here
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

Where have you been for the last few years?

Happily using my TomTom and, as had no problem, just visited the site following up interesting ideas in the email newsletter or downloading POIs. Having given up paying TT's high prices, I'm now into using my Android smart phone.

So thank you for the link to the Android discussions. It'd be good to find actual reviews/tests on Android sat-nav apps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also be good to have reviews of the iOS navigation apps. However, due to the sheer number we decided on a comparison chart that compares the overall features.

So then, besides Sygic, which apps would you like to see reviewed? We will try purchase them and see what we can do.

MaFt
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
It would also be good to have reviews of the iOS navigation apps. However, due to the sheer number we decided on a comparison chart that compares the overall features.

So then, besides Sygic, which apps would you like to see reviewed? We will try purchase them and see what we can do.

MaFt

My problem is I'm not sure what's out there for Android. I've just seen there's CoPilot Live Premium, but you may say that's the same as stand-alone CoPilot and not look into it, as was done with Sygic, which apparently was reviewed some time ago but for the late Windows Mobile.

I'm now thinking, if I'd known, the CoPilot app might have been a better purchase.

I can understand that it must be impossible to keep up with improvements because of continuous updates, like the ever-changing Android OS!

Is there a quick link to the comparison chart?
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
Is there a quick link to the comparison chart?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iphone-navigation-app-comparison-xr5133.php

Discussion is in the Apple GPS Devices forum - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=78536
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Apple stuff.

See thread title...
is TomTom for Android coming after all?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
My problem is I'm not sure what's out there for Android. I've just seen there's CoPilot Live Premium, but you may say that's the same as stand-alone CoPilot and not look into it, as was done with Sygic, which apparently was reviewed some time ago but for the late Windows Mobile.

The main players for Android are: Navigon, Sygic, CoPilot Live and Waze.

The Sygic review, while on Windows Mobile 6, is still pretty relevent to the current version. Other than the look/feel of the app it's overall functions and features have remained pretty much the same. The newer stuff that has been added is mainly social stuff like sending messages to friends, sharing locations with others etc.

Personally I prefer Navigon - I picked the UK version up on offer not so long back for about £30.

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot Live Premium UK and IRE, £18.99

CoPilot Live Premium Europe, £29.99

Navigon UK, £39.95

As shown on the Android Market (Play Store).
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Personally I prefer Navigon - I picked the UK version up on offer not so long back for about £30.

MaFt

Thank you for that and for your amazing chart, signposted by bmuskett. (I know, DenisN, that it's for Apple, but I'm sure a lot of the facts apply to the Android versions that exist).

The Navigon does look impressive, but the user reviews on GooglePlay seem quite negative. You did well on price - it is expensive at £50 and I gather the map updates aren't cheap either. I haven't quite picked up what they charge for live traffic.

I guess the main criteria for judging is the the apps' routing algorithms (?) and up-to-date-ness (!) and quality of maps. Has a comparison been made between NavTeq and TeleAtlas?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav. There probably isn't a definitive answer to which is the best NavApp, we all have different needs.

I like Free and I like OpenSource. I usually know the directions to where I'm going, I like to know where I am, my speed & an ETA. It doesn't bother me if the given route is wrong, but the given route is rarely wrong, just sometimes not my route of preference.

I have a 300MB monthly dataplan on my phone and keeping the data on whilst driving for downloading traffic info & maps isn't a problem, the maps and directions consume very little data (OsmAnd can store all maps to the SD card, I have most of Europe stored on my phone, the rest of the world is available).

If the above sounds like you, I am currently using
1) Waze
2) TelMap (free beta testing)
3) OsmAnd

and none of them disappoint (me, anyway).

Waze is still fairly new and I don't think that it shall be long before it blows ALL the competition into submission. I think that it has got huge potential.

Alternatively, go to the GooglePlay page and search for GPS Navigation, read the reviews of the resulting suggestions, find one that seems to fit your bill, download it, trial it and if it isn't for you move on to the next one. When you find the one you like, provide feedback for others.

EDIT - Wish list adapted.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
CoPilot Live Premium UK and IRE, £18.99

CoPilot Live Premium Europe, £29.99

Navigon UK, £39.95

As shown on the Android Market (Play Store).

So do you think it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

Sygic UK cost me just under £17, and about £7(for a year) for live traffic

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: