Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - is TomTom for Android coming after all?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

is TomTom for Android coming after all?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neerest I cood cum to Shak's Peer wuz this an Im serten thats not wot yo ment
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Also, I'm not interested when one of the latest updates is about sharing your location on Facebook! FFS!!! Apparently the integration of this feature is very prominent!

Cancel the hysterics. Just switch the feature OFF and there's nothing to worry about!!!

Sorry for having an opinion! I can assure you I'm not hysterical. Just annoyed how everything seems to be geared towards social media these days.

I'm not familiar with the GUI within TomTom iOS but from the unhappy reviews I've read on the iTunes site, say it's very invasive.

Why request comments and discussion on here if you're gonna chastise it??

Having a bad day?
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run TT 1.10 on iOS. The GUI is not invasive and the "Share" option has to be turned on and FB signed in - I use nor sign in to either.

As PaulB2005 suggested - don't turn it on!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avdl1999 wrote:
Why request comments and discussion on here if you're gonna chastise it??

Having a bad day?

I'm SURE Paul didn't mean to do anything other than comment and discuss. He's far less abrasive than others (speaking of me, that is).

So to try and wind him up, I'll add that I do get hysterics over the social media **** pushed by TT - So much has gone down the plughole as models have 'developed' and shoving Facebook (spawn of the D) and Twits (spawn of the Illiterate) on there is not something I can welcome.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a regular user of my copy of TomTom on my iPhone I don't even notice that FaceBook is integrated into the app. Since day one FaceBook integration has been switched off and has never bothered me in the slightest. No idea what everyone's issue is. Switch it off if you dont want it!!

You might not like it (and I don't like it either) that Social Networking worms it's way into everything these days. But if it's what people want these days I guess its progress. As long as i can ignore it or switch it off I'm happy. Just had a quick scan through the last 50 comments for the UK version and only three mentions about the social networking. One said "social networking integration is pointless" and the other two moaned about having to use it and didn't seem to know there is an option to switch it off.

Sorry the hysterics comment upset you so much. Wasn't my intention. Just my sarcastic humour. Had a great day, by the way. Thanks for asking!
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis and Paul

Thanks for the comments and I appreciate the apology Paul.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't a clue about the iOS interface for TT. This makes me less than qualified to make a judgement call regarding it.

It's this face FB and Twitter crap that does wind me up.

I would much rather like to see TT spend time and money on decent way point navigation ( unlike nav3) and accurate traffic info that incorporates the WHOLE of the UK, than wasting it on social media integration.

That's why overall I probably won't bother with it either. I wonder if a trial version could be made available?

Paul, can you tell me if the software is based on the newer Nav3 version please? Also, does the iPhone show as removable device you can browse within Explorer? Just wondering if a TT back up is possible.

Anyway, no harm done eh Smile

Cheers,

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT iPhone app is very similar to the Nav3 units in terms of functionality, it is hindered by the three waypoints and pointless FB/ Twit crap (that I never use). One advantage the iPhone app has over the Nav3 units is that it doesn't use the disasterous PC interface known as "MyTomTom" so its better in this respect.

When you look at the combined hardware & software of the iPhone vs the Nav3 units there is a whole raft of reasons why the iPhone is better:

Bluetooth audio output
Ability to play/ control music.
Decent 3G data connection
Screen responsive to user interaction
Screen not like a mirror
Map updates (complete new maps) have been free since the app launched

Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer will have come & gone soon with further announcements from TomTom conspicuous by their absence?
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Summer will have come & gone soon with further announcements from TomTom conspicuous by their absence?

Thus it has always been - well since 2009 anyway. All to Sygic's benefit.

Tim
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I didn't hold my breath waiting for TomTom - I finally got fed up & bought CoPilot 9, although I'm not that impressed with their routing Confused
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Forums are now reporting TT on Android will be Q3 / Q4 which in my book in nowhere near Summer!

See what Santa brings, until then looks like I'm stuck with CP Rolling Eyes
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I'm glad I didn't hold my breath waiting for TomTom - I finally got fed up & bought CoPilot 9, although I'm not that impressed with their routing Confused

As an ex-TomTom long-time user, I'm not (in comparison) that impressed with Sygic either but, as an Android 'client', it is better (so far) than Google's offering of its beta 'Navigator'.

Sygic, ignored by pocketworld reviewers, seems obsessed with warning you of approaching speed limits (not cameras) which can block out written 'flags' of next direction. It doesn't either tell you what road you are on at any given moment. And it's routing highly questionable (taking one down a gated road in central Oxford) seemingly like your CoPilot.

BUT, it is a fair lot cheaper than TomTom and its maps (ironically same as TomTom's) are far more up to date.

You pays your money and you get your goods...or do you?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

Not got CP on Android but have on iOS and old Windows Phone 6. In the settings there is an option to customise the routing profiles. This allows you to set an average speed for each road type and you can set a preference for these too - I found that adjusting these can help a lot with routing.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
Sygic, ignored by pocketworld reviewers

A bit harsh... It's been reviewed twice for Windows Mobile and, to be honest, other than POI support it's not really changed that much...

MaFt
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:

Sygic, ignored by pocketworld reviewers, seems obsessed with warning you of approaching speed limits (not cameras) which can block out written 'flags' of next direction. It doesn't either tell you what road you are on at any given moment. And it's routing highly questionable (taking one down a gated road in central Oxford) seemingly like your CoPilot.

I have never found the approaching speed limit change warning to hinder viewing of important information. It has always (as far as I can recall) displayed in the upper half of the map display.

The latest update from Sygic (v 12.1.0) has reinstated the current road information along the bottom of the map à la Tomtom

I have been very impressed with the latest update and when run alongside my TT520 there is seldom major differences in routing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: