Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Longer windscreen aerial TMC/RDS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Longer windscreen aerial TMC/RDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
APS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Longer windscreen aerial TMC/RDS Reply with quote

Hi all , i just recently picked up a Garmin satnav with lifetime traffic , ive used the TMC before as it was installed in my vx vectra !
Now a small issue with the Garmin is the aerial that sticks to the window isnt long enough to hide the wire (im a little fussy) , so anyone have any ideas on where i can get a longer aerial with 2.5mm plug for the receiver ?

The thin wire aerial with 2.5mm then plugs into the charger which in turn uses the usb into the reciever , the length of the actual aerial is perhaps no more than 26" long ideally i need 36" ish

any ideas would be great Rolling Eyes

thanks in advance
legalspeed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: garmin tmc aerial? Reply with quote

The extension garmin aerial is supplied in a standard length, although I have always found them to be adequate under most circumstances. Some while ago, I misplaced the aerial that came with the TMC, and found that it was easy enough to make one up. You will need access to, and be able to use a small soldering iron,( or someone who can). A standard 2.5mm stereo jack can be got easily (eg look at Maplin w/site, item code FJ85G, or, as Maplin don't do a 2.5mm right angle type, as on the original lead, look on the CPC.co.uk web site under item code AV15081.) For suitable cable, you can use thin loudspeaker cable, (eg. Maplin N51HU, or N50HU ) obtainable by the metre / as required. Simply split it down its length to give a single insulated wire. For connection, as its a stereo type plug, the wire should be soldered so that the tip and ring are connected together, with the sleeve (bottom / body section of the plug) being left unconnected. I only suggest the above suppliers so that you can see what the items look like. Obviously, there are many others, some that may be easier for you locally?. If this isn't to your liking, then possibly you could obtain suitable wire (as above). Remove the last half inch or so of the existing lead, (cut off the plastic end tip ) bare it back, and connect your extra length of wire to give you the desired length, possibly covering the joint with a piece of heat shrink sleeving or black pvc tape? You can use the original suckers to mount the longer cable to best effect. It worked OK for me. Regards, Legalspeed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: