Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating camera POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating camera POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Updating camera POIs Reply with quote

I have a Garmin nuvi 3590 and am considering subscribing to your database.

Will the output from the database be the same as I experienced using a TomTom unit?

Is there a sync facility available to update my camera database when I want to and is there a limit to the number of times?

Also, do you notify subscribers when updates are available?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating camera POIs Reply with quote

makem wrote:
I have a Garmin nuvi 3590 and am considering subscribing to your database.

Will the output from the database be the same as I experienced using a TomTom unit?
I can't answer that as I don't know for certain.

makem wrote:
Is there a sync facility available to update my camera database when I want to and is there a limit to the number of times?
There is no 'on-the-fly' syncing. You just download the files to your PC (and then to your Unit), as often and as many times as you like.

makem wrote:
Also, do you notify subscribers when updates are available?
The Files are updated every Wednesday, 50 weeks of the year. The Site email, and also the Front Page, carries details of the latest updates

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
makem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, perhaps someone will answer the first question later.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makem wrote:
Thank you, perhaps someone will answer the first question later.

Like Oldboy, I'm not a Garmin user. However, a quick look at the download page shows Garmin POI Loader versions, and offers the option of a voice pack. So I reckon it's safe to assume that the output will be similar to a TomTom - i.e. you'll get warned of cameras and have a choice of camera types and voices.

With regard to updates, as Oldboy says, it is announced each week. And there is also a facility to link to RSS feed (I have no idea what that does, because I'm old and daren't click it in case something new-tech happens!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN said,

(I have no idea what that does, because I'm old and daren't click it in case something new-tech happens!).

Classic!! Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 3590 is POILoader compatible then I can't see any reason why the database won't load. Any SatNav unit that doesn't allow user POI's isn't going to sell IMO.

If it's advertised with the Cyclops database then I would also be 99% sure it would be OK as Cyclops also use the .GPI database suffix that POILoader creates.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
(I have no idea what that does, because I'm old and daren't click it in case something new-tech happens!).

Classic!! Very Happy
Don't laugh! It's OK for all you youngsters, but sometimes new-tech stuff happens even without clicking - sometimes my screen whizzes off to one side and shows something else. Shocked I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind seeing the weather and a clock and the date, or the bottom five lines of a spreadsheet or web page, but I'd prefer if it did it when I WANT them. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards the first question do you mean is the PGPSW database the same as TomToms own database?

Or how does the PGPSW database compare on a TT vs Garmin?

I ask as you said you are thinking of subscribing so don't know if you have ever used the PGPSW database.
makem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
With regards the first question do you mean is the PGPSW database the same as TomToms own database?

Or how does the PGPSW database compare on a TT vs Garmin?

I ask as you said you are thinking of subscribing so don't know if you have ever used the PGPSW database.

Yes I have used the PGPSW database in the past with TT software on a PDA.

I was just wondering if what you see and what you hear is what you see and what you hear when using the PGPSW data on the Garmin.

PGPSW POIs are compatible, can be arranged in categories in a similar manner to those provided in the mapping software by Garmin. However, it is not possible to create shortcuts to the categories so necessitating several clicks to get to the point where you can search your custom POIs. In my case the POIs supplied by Garmin are redundant but the take 'pride of place' and I cannot remove them.

I wanted to confirm that the PGPSW data will be at the forefront as it should be. I think it will be so because the Garmin camera data will not be loaded. So, I should see the full size correct PGPSW camera icons and hear the speech I provide.

I am not concerned with database comparison, just a comparison of what I see and hear as a result of the database compared with Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: