Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Will TomTom Go support postcode lookup like Niels program. I have got used to using Niels postcode program with my ipaq, but unfortunately the sticky base mount became unstuck on the car kit and the lot smacked onto the gear knob and cracked the screen of the 2210 so now im looking for a new toy to play with.

No, as it stands there is no facility to support 3rd party plug-ins and I would think it unlikely that this will be added.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mearns wrote:
Oz - came across this site a few days ago. They have new 2210 screen assemblies priced at £124.11......might be an option for you?

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=210

And FWIW when I broke the screen on my 3630 a few years back i was able to claim on my household insurance as the 'accident' ocurred on my driveway Wink
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does use the SiRF 2 chipset which does support WAAS etc, but there are no facilities provided to activate it on Go.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

Dave

You mentioned that the maps will be TeleAtlas update April 2004. Do you have any information if these will include those places missing from the current maps supplied for TTN3 or will they contain the same rubbish information as those?

If they are not 100% better then the whole product is not woth TT producing!.

Nigelj
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of SBAS (systems such as WAAS and EGNOS) is not really relevant to something like Go.

High positional accuracy is not really needed for street navigation. These systems snap to the nearest road in the map, and that, together with the direction of travel, and, if a route is planned, the assumption that, more than likely, the driver will stay on the route, allows street navigation systems to work pretty accurately even with a poor GPS fix.

The accelerometers should have Go work out where it is - though, from the review, it sounds like more work is needed to get that working perfectly.

So far as the protection used on the SD cards - I presume they are using the 'secure' feature of SD, referred to as CPRM. This is hardware DRM - pretty strong stuff. Just don't put those Sandisk cards from Go in your Pocket PC - though you can reformat the card, I believe that if the card goes awry in a Pocket PC, the secure area is permanently damaged.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Will TomTom Go support postcode lookup like Niels program. I have got used to using Niels postcode program with my ipaq, but unfortunately the sticky base mount became unstuck on the car kit and the lot smacked onto the gear knob and cracked the screen of the 2210 so now im looking for a new toy to play with.

It will be supporting 5 digit post codes but not 7. Royal Mail currently hold the copyright license over the 7 digit code, and will sell it for companies to use in their applications, but it costs an ENORMOUS amount of money to license this data, and this is why you don't see this in 99% of applications. How's Niel's doing it ? Not sure.

sifi wrote:
Please would someone tell me the accuracy of the Tomtom Go i.e to how many metres is it correct? (I'm new to the transferable type of GPS, my car has a dedicated system and I'm changing the car soon to one that does not have sat nav). Some systems like the Garmin Streetpilot have something called WAAS which seems to make them accurate to a few metres. Does the TT Go have WAAS?
Thank you.

GO is as accurate as any other GPS out there on the market. Without WAAS enabled (which quite frankly isn't really much use when driving) you'll get the normal accuracy. GO uses SiRF Star IIe.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLuit wrote:
Thanks very much for your good review of the TomTom Go. I have an additional question around the use of SD cards and POI. I was planning to buy a new 128MB SD card, and copy the content of the original SD card with the Benelux map. Then I wanted to experiment with POI (ov2, wav and bmp files).

I had a reply from TomTom saying that:
TomTom wrote:
The maps are link to the sd card but when you install the sw from the cd using a other sd the sw is link to the GO.

From this I take it that you can create a SD card of the places that you need map data for as long as you have the original CDs.

I suppose that TomTom have done it this way so that the activation does not need to be done with the SD cards supplied making it a real plug and GO system.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I will try to do that and let you know what happened. Did TomTom give any reaction on the POI issues I mentioned earlier? Maybe an update to make that work on the TTG?

Peter
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will be releasing POIs for GO/Palm versions of navigator in the very near future (no date mentioned). I dont know the exact details of what is coming so we will have to wait and see.

I seriously hope that they have retained the same file format. I dont see any reason why it might have changed, but you never know.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabs have got TomTom Go up on their website - and sales literature for £499 (inc VAT)!

According to their website they currently have 0 in stock, but expect 240 in stock within 3/4 days.

Umm... off to check available funds Laughing
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save some cash and check out www.expansys.com who have the GO priced at £447.

Mine is due for delivery on Wednesday Thumbs Up
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thank you Dave for the answer on accuracy. Another concern is that there have been comments on the accuracy of Teleatlas' maps. Have many corrections been made in the release of the April edition? How often are maps updated and what is the usual cost?

Wads, when you say the cost of Go is £447 does that include VAT. Their site implies it may not (??). It is £447 at www.globalpositioningsystems inc VAT but there is none in stock at the moment - released end of June or early July.
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to aguy at expansys today "monday 21st june" and Go will be with them tommrow...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
Firstly, thank you Dave for the answer on accuracy. Another concern is that there have been comments on the accuracy of Teleatlas' maps. Have many corrections been made in the release of the April edition? How often are maps updated and what is the usual cost?

Wads, when you say the cost of Go is £447 does that include VAT. Their site implies it may not (??). It is £447 at www.globalpositioningsystems inc VAT but there is none in stock at the moment - released end of June or early July.

Expansys prices are inclusive of VAT. Though you will have to pay for carraige. Butl the delivery dates remain to be seen.

It would be interesting to see if they have got the new POI code in there for the release or if they are going to release it seperatly.

Teleatlas release their maps every quarter, but these will not show all the roads completed during that time. There are other threads regarding the Teleatlas data. Suffice to say the M6 Toll road is in this map release.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Mike. Also thanks to PeterLuik regarding info on WAAS earlier on in the forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 3 of 35

Jump to: