Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps for Europe won't be ready before mid-July. So it's too late for my 2004 holidays. :x Laughing
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your good review of the TomTom Go. I have an additional question around the use of SD cards and POI. I was planning to buy a new 128MB SD card, and copy the content of the original SD card with the Benelux map. Then I wanted to experiment with POI (ov2, wav and bmp files).

In your review I do see two things, which give me the idea that my experiment might not work. First you mention digital signatures. Does this mean I can not make a new SD with a working enviroment? I did backup the contents of the SD on my computer, just be copying the content from the desktop (TT G appears as a drive) to a separate dir/map, so I should have everything available to make a new SD by using the SD Reader/Writer from SanDisk. Does this work?

Secondly I wanted to put POI files into the map directory of the Benelux (the same directory where poi.dat is located). You mention that this does not work (yet), but that TomTom will upgrade this in the future. How do you think they will do that, in order to make my approach possible? I did read something about several peaces of special POI software (used with other GPS systems) to upload the files, but does that software do anything else besides uploading the ov2, wav and bmp files to the right locations? Or do we need some exctra software here, and by whom will that be supplied?

So, does it make sence to go on experimenting with this, or will this not work, based on the two things you mentioned: signatures (copy protection of SD cards) and missing POI software in the TT G?

Thanks for helping.

Kind Reagrds,

Peter Luit
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the maps for TomTom are activated for a device. TomTom told me at thier offices last week that the reason they use SD cards is because of the digital signature. Now how they have implemented this is another matter. It may be that once you have activated the maps on your device (probably automatically) then these maps can be used irrespective of the media they are presented on. I am not too sure about this as for obvious reasons TomTom dont publish this sort of information.

Now the new common navigation engine works on the same map data format across all the products, TT3 TT for Palm and TT Go. I had the misfortune of trashing my SD card whilst using the review machine and copied the UK maps from TT3 onto the card and everything still worked without the need for re-activation. The thing is that is was the same SD card.

I imagine that it is possible to copy a number of map files onto another SD card and us that. You may need to activate them individuallt the first time you use them. TT should have a re-activation process in place to allow you to do just this.

All the above is pure speculation and observation. I will email TT and see if they will give me a definitive answer.

As for the POI interface. I have seen it and seen it working, but I am not allowed to divulge any details at the moment. (Non- disclosure) But you will not be disappointed. I am hoping that it will support the same file format as TT3 which will mean that there will be a whole wealth of addon POIs available instantly.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Mike.

To be sure on sofware and data. In the users manual TT writes that the SD contains both the program and the mapdata. I suppose the Linux kernel is in ROM. There is also 32MB RAM on board. I was wundering how this all works together, since favorites are not stored in RAM (at least I think so), but stored on the SD as well.

So,how will a software upgrade be supplied? As a file via the internet to be placed directly on the SD? Since the TT G looks like a closed box to many average users, I would like to find out how to get deaper into the system..... But maybe TT closed the whole thing and lets usres only communicatie via the SD, connected via USB, to place files on the card via a computer (an Apple PowerBook in my case). So, is this all possible without needing any (Windows based) software.....?

Did you get some info at TomTom how the system works as a whole. What happens after the systems starts up, after reset, and a warm start (using the 'power' button).

Peter
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will TomTom Go support postcode lookup like Niels program. I have got used to using Niels postcode program with my ipaq, but unfortunately the sticky base mount became unstuck on the car kit and the lot smacked onto the gear knob and cracked the screen of the 2210 so now im looking for a new toy to play with.
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they may have fixed that "in house" or they could give Niels a bung and use his. I should think its supported tho and hopefully the Jan 2004 maps might be on it....Im wandering what windows it need to update as Ive only got win 98 SE.... 8O
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz - came across this site a few days ago. They have new 2210 screen assemblies priced at £124.11......might be an option for you?

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=210
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderwall wrote:
hopefully they may have fixed that "in house" or they could give Niels a bung and use his. I should think its supported tho and hopefully the Jan 2004 maps might be on it....Im wandering what windows it need to update as Ive only got win 98 SE.... 8O

I wasnt actually talking to the Go Team while I was in Amsterdam last week, just the Traffic guys, so I didnt have a chance to grill them about features and functionality. Mind you if I had I probably wouldnt be able to tell you yet anyway.

What I was told though was that the UK maps will be the latest available which I think was April. Certainly the M6 Toll road is in it.

As far as 3rd Party Plugins go I am not too sure what the situation is. I suspect that these will not be supported initially.

Postcode lookups have not changed and are the same in TT3, TT for Palm and TT Go.
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for clearing that up Mike...Ive a GO on order so hopefully end of next week ive been told, Im a newbie to this and it seems a simpler solution....and im sure in time they will sort a few things out ok..
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderwall wrote:
thanx for clearing that up Mike...Ive a GO on order so hopefully end of next week ive been told, Im a newbie to this and it seems a simpler solution....and im sure in time they will sort a few things out ok..

Please can you modify your profile to include a location. It helps us when we reply to posts.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please would someone tell me the accuracy of the Tomtom Go i.e to how many metres is it correct? (I'm new to the transferable type of GPS, my car has a dedicated system and I'm changing the car soon to one that does not have sat nav). Some systems like the Garmin Streetpilot have something called WAAS which seems to make them accurate to a few metres. Does the TT Go have WAAS?
Thank you.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how is the software and map on just a 250Mb card when on a dedcated car system a CD of presumably greater capacity is needed for a UK map?
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally could not find any information on WAAS on the TT Go (I have to learn what it is anyway). But to be practical: the TT Go is accurate enough in day to day use. For example: defining a route to a street with a specific housenumber really drives me exactly to that specific housenumber. So, I think the accuracy is about 5..7 metres or so......
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I learned someting about WAAS, it seems to work in the US only.......

You've heard the term WAAS, seen it on packaging and ads for Garmin® products, and maybe even know it stands for Wide Area Augmentation System. Okay, so what the heck is it? Basically, it's a system of satellites and ground stations that provide GPS signal corrections, giving you even better position accuracy. How much better? Try an average of up to five times better. A WAAS-capable receiver can give you a position accuracy of better than three meters 95 percent of the time. And you don't have to purchase additional receiving equipment or pay service fees to utilize WAAS.

The origins of WAAS

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) are developing the WAAS program for use in precision flight approaches. Currently, GPS alone does not meet the FAA's navigation requirements for accuracy, integrity, and availability. WAAS corrects for GPS signal errors caused by ionospheric disturbances, timing, and satellite orbit errors, and it provides vital integrity information regarding the health of each GPS satellite.

How it Works

WAAS consists of approximately 25 ground reference stations positioned across the United States that monitor GPS satellite data. Two master stations, located on either coast, collect data from the reference stations and create a GPS correction message. This correction accounts for GPS satellite orbit and clock drift plus signal delays caused by the atmosphere and ionosphere. The corrected differential message is then broadcast through one of two geostationary satellites, or satellites with a fixed position over the equator. The information is compatible with the basic GPS signal structure, which means any WAAS-enabled GPS receiver can read the signal.

Who benefits from WAAS?

Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America. There are no ground reference stations in South America, so even though GPS users there can receive WAAS, the signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit. For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open land and marine applications. WAAS provides extended coverage both inland and offshore compared to the land-based DGPS (differential GPS) system. Another benefit of WAAS is that it does not require additional receiving equipment, while DGPS does.

Other governments are developing similar satellite-based differential systems. In Asia, it's the Japanese Multi-Functional Satellite Augmentation System (MSAS), while Europe has the Euro Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS). Eventually, GPS users around the world will have access to precise position data using these and other compatible systems.

It just keeps getting better
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiRFstarIIe/LP Chip Set

I have been looking a bit further, and yes this chip (which is in the TomTom Go) supports SBAS (WAAS and EGNOS), and DGPS. According to the specifications the accuracy should be <5m for WAAS and even <2.5m for DGPS.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 2 of 35

Jump to: