Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Open Steet Maps on Satmap?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Steet Maps on Satmap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VFRVMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Open Steet Maps on Satmap? Reply with quote

Open Street Maps seem to offer a good solution to my requirement for a number of small maps of various port towns in Norway - to be visited as part of a boat trip in the summer.

Is there any way to convert these maps to a format usable on the Active 10?

I assume that there is no copyright issue as OSM's copyright does not impose any restrictions for personal use.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Steet Maps on Satmap? Reply with quote

VFRVMC wrote:
Open Street Maps seem to offer a good solution to my requirement for a number of small maps of various port towns in Norway - to be visited as part of a boat trip in the summer.

Is there any way to convert these maps to a format usable on the Active 10?

I assume that there is no copyright issue as OSM's copyright does not impose any restrictions for personal use.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

You could do a custom card job on it but it would cost you £75.

All you need to do is ortho-rectify screenshots from google maps of the ports you are going to visit. This is real easy since google introduced the long lat tool in maps. Once you've ortho rectified the aerial photographs, send them off to satmap with a TFW file for each shot and they'll produce a custom card. You can produce the screenshot in map view and aerial if you like and they'll put them on toggleable layers. Its a brilliant service IMHO.
I use autocad to ortho rectify the shots but there are lots of other ways (maybe even easier!) of doing it.

HTH
SpudH
VFRVMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply SpudH, I'll go and spend some time learning how to ortho-rectify Google maps - looks like it could be a good solution for me.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: