Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom speed camera app for iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom speed camera app for iPhone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: TomTom speed camera app for iPhone Reply with quote

Came across this this morning which I hadn't seen mentioned before. Not great reviews on the App Store, and some plugs for CamerAlert.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this advertised on the TomTom web site this week, but didn't realise it was something new! (I don't have an iPhone.)

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would you want to point our users at a competitor's App
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the reviews are hilarious??

It's also more expensive and looks poor.

Finally in the interest of impartiality, why not? What does PGPSW have to hide or loose??
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Finally in the interest of impartiality, why not? What does PGPSW have to hide or loose??
+1

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And why would you want to point our users at a competitor's App

Because it's news of interest to PGPSW and its users. I'm not suggesting that everyone rushes out and buys it.

I thought the bit about real time reports was interesting. How will that work?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
+1

When we review devices we tend to skip over the manufacturers own camera database other than a fleeting mention and state that our database can be installed on it.

If we posted this as news then we'd basically be saying "here's an app, the data's poor, the UI is poor, the UX is equally poor" and then we'd be told off for posting biassed news. Hence we've ignored it and not bothered.

MaFt
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
If we posted this as news then we'd basically be saying "here's an app, the data's poor, the UI is poor, the UX is equally poor" and then we'd be told off for posting biassed news.

You could have stopped at "here's an app", and let your users come to their own conclusions. I can appreciate why you wouldn't post about it, but I didn't think that meant someone else shouldn't.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
but I didn't think that meant someone else shouldn't.

I never said you shouldn't Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has PgpsW got any plans to have a "block" facility? I am getting really bored with reading posts from members who are constantly moaning or sniping and I would rather just not read their posts.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's a review in two words - It's CRAP!

Now here's a bit more in more than two words.

On Saturday I drove to Leeds, then back on Sunday. With some wandering round Yorkshire, a round trip of almost 500 miles. Running the new TT app, my 550 Live and my 520 at all times. I think somebody's already mentioned the app doesn't run in background mode - it did allow me to get text messages whilst still running, but I never had a phone call so I don't know how that goes. I downloaded and installed the TT app first thing Saturday morning, then followed by downloading/updating the 550 Live Premium cameras, then downloaded and updated the pgpsw cameras onto the 520. I didn't see any indication of a FM to R for the TT App (but then, you know me, I wouldn't have R-ed it if there had been!).

First off, the TT app never reported a single mobile, not one. Second, it didn't report some of the cameras which the 550 Live reported. They were both updated within minutes of each other - I'm thick, but I expected them to be the same, am I wrong?

The 520 did the proper job and didn't miss any fixed cameras I saw and didn't report any that weren't there (550 Live still has a whole bunch of Specs on M5 between J13 and J14 (app doesn't, whether because it's up to date or because it's not up to date, difficult to guess which!!). Those Specs brought Vera to tears of laughter as the damn 550 sat there bleating continuously all the way through - obviously, I was exceeding the average speed limit, because there wasn't one. It even got me p-d off and I'm such a tolerant guy normally!!

Now the app itself. Oh dear, what a useless thing it is. The only good feature is the clarity of the current speed display, it's lovely. But it's all downhill from there on.

Settings. You can make a few changes :-

Warning sound ON or OFF, and change the volume of it with a slider. Th usual TT Bip-Bip, Bip-Bip.
Camera types to warn for ... ON or OFF for Fixed, Mobile, Average Speed and Red Light.
Warning Time choice of 10, 15 or 20 seconds.
Distance Units choice of Miles or Kilometres.

That's yer lot. Why did they even bother?

In use, report a camera is astonishing. Here's the normal running screen, with Report Camera button at the top, tap it to report a camera...

Then it reports a camera, thus...

The blob disappears from left to right to show it is happening. So quick it's quite a surprise and I eventually managed to grab the above screenshot only after several attempts, it's so quick (they've now got quite a few reports of a camera in Tamworth Services on the M42!!). Twisted Evil

But in case any of you missed it, take note that the report goes off instantly. Without asking you which it is of the four camera types they record! Words fail me. Well, not quite - I still have to ask the obvious, how do they know what sort of camera you are reporting? My opinion - it's a gimmick just to make you feel good. At best, it might get them to send a verifier out, but you might ask "what verifier?" Mr. Green Joker EDIT Apologies, I have found a sort of FM and discovered that you CAN change the type of camera before reporting - drag (left or right) the camera sign at the left of the report button and it changes - there are only two types, fixed or mobile. So one report for any one of three fixed types.

So there you are, 59p for the app, then £1.49 for the data for one month, special introductory offer (I declined the 12 month offer at £16.99). After the introductory period these will increase to over £3 and £26 respectively if memory serves me right - I can't see them now that I've paid up.

So I've wasted £2 just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm off now to give a review worth my £2 (or to get my own back!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gdryfhtfhht
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: My first post here Reply with quote

Just to say that I'm glad that TomTom released the Speed Camera app, because I then went on to read the reviews, and one or two people mentioned Cameralert. In other words, if it hadn't been for those reviews I would never have known that Cameralert existed!!!

I also paid the 1.49 introductory price out of curiosity, and also because it also includes the camera alerts in TomTom Uk app.

Needless to say that the TomTom camera app is not a scratch on this one. I found I was getting too many false alerts, whereas Cameralert was spot on.

Keep up the good work!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least some good has come of it!!

And a big Welcome to Gdryfhtfhht :D

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
So let's all say "thank you" to bmuskett Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

And a big Welcome to Gdryfhtfhht :D

MaFt

I can't say welcome to that! What is it? Welsh? Polish? Japanese (with poor translation)? How the hell does anybody send him or her junk mail?

Thank you, bmuskett. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: