Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile POI Site Launched for Smart Phones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile POI Site Launched for Smart Phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Or preferably split into 3: Fuel Stations, Fuel Types, Fuel Cards.

Shell, Morrisons, Texaco etc would go into Fuel Stations.
4 Star, LPG would go into Fuel Types.
Diesel Direct etc would go into Fuel Cards.

As an aside, I'm intrigued as to why there is a Shell Fuel Card category anyway. Don't all Shell stations accept Shell Fuel Cards? If so, that seems to make this category redundant. Or am I missing something?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

For those with the 'android detection' issues can you go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/poi.php?p=browser and let me know the output from that?

A screenshot or copy/paste of the text will suffice.

MaFt

MaFt - I can't work out how to post the screenshots I have taken - one each for Dolphin and HTC stock browsers. If you give me your email address please I will send them to you.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Opera's "user agent" setting set as desktop usually but when I change it to mobile it then works correctly with my Sygic Aura.

The same applies with the stock android browser. If I have mobile view checked then it offers me all the options (Google maps, nokia maps, Sygic) and they all work, but unchecked it only offers google maps and nokia maps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
MaFt - I can't work out how to post the screenshots I have taken - one each for Dolphin and HTC stock browsers. If you give me your email address please I will send them to you.

MaFt AT pocketgpsworld DOT com
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
I have Opera's "user agent" setting set as desktop usually but when I change it to mobile it then works correctly with my Sygic Aura.

That makes sense. If the phone/browser is pretending to be something else then how can we know it is really an Android device?

Rick-uk wrote:
The same applies with the stock android browser. If I have mobile view checked then it offers me all the options (Google maps, nokia maps, Sygic) and they all work, but unchecked it only offers google maps and nokia maps.

Again, if the site thinks you are a desktop user then it (correctly) doesn't offer to allow you to run android apps...

MaFt
kp40adman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: errrr errors Reply with quote

Live in Central Watford, Hertfordshire pin on map spot on too .... nearest Parcelforce depot in ...............Cambridge ?? should be Welwyn Garden City or Acton
Nearest Royal Mail depot in .............. South Wales!!!!!! should be ....unsurprisingly .... Watford
Need some work I think Rolling Eyes
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kp40adman. Any chance you could add it for us please.? It should only take you a few moments and it would help keep the community POI's up to date.

MAny Thanks, Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions to improve usability:

1) On the "Select a Category" screen is it possible to add a link to "- All My Local Favourites -"?

2) Once you've chosen a Category, is it possible to add a link to e.g. "- ALL Fuel Favourites -"?

e.g. if I have a Fuel Card the works for BP & Shell, it would be useful to see which was the closest on one screen.

Also, given some of the comments, is it possible to detect first time usage and force users to a screen that explains how the POI Database works and that it is a community effort?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the team for a very useful webapp that works well. I have a couple of suggestions. I am using the iPhone so these may not apply to all users.
The first is to hide the address bar in safari at all times and replace it with a spinning circle in a corner of the app. This would keep the screen at a larger viewable size and if placed next to the pgpsw.com logo at the top we would see it more often than it being covered by safari.
Second suggestion is to hide the bottom back/forward/bookmark toolbar in Safari to again make the viewable screen larger. You have back buttons on most pages so no features would be lost.
Third suggestion would be to allow us when logged in to select which nav apps we have installed so only those show up when you press on 'Navigate using'.

Also, and I think this may be due to me not being able to find the correct setting within ios I am sometimes asked if I would like to allow IOS to find my location, but not always? Not sure why as Safari is turned on in Location Services.

Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorsetwurzel wrote:
The first is to hide the address bar in safari at all times and replace it with a spinning circle in a corner of the app. This would keep the screen at a larger viewable size and if placed next to the pgpsw.com logo at the top we would see it more often than it being covered by safari.
Second suggestion is to hide the bottom back/forward/bookmark toolbar in Safari to again make the viewable screen larger. You have back buttons on most pages so no features would be lost.

Neither of these can be done, although the address bar is auto hidden once the page has finished loading (although I disabled that on the cat/subcat/results pages as I found that you would start scrolling down and it would jump you back to the top when the page finished loading!)

dorsetwurzel wrote:
Third suggestion would be to allow us when logged in to select which nav apps we have installed so only those show up when you press on 'Navigate using'.

Yep - this was something I had considered adding to the 'Account' area.

dorsetwurzel wrote:
Also, and I think this may be due to me not being able to find the correct setting within ios I am sometimes asked if I would like to allow IOS to find my location, but not always? Not sure why as Safari is turned on in Location Services.

No, this is just how safari works. It will ask you to confirm location sharing at the start of every session. Other OS's and browsers have a 'remember this' option but mobile safari, annoyingly, doesn't.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're aware of an issue when using Navigon to navigate to a POI selected using our web app.

It appears to be ignoring the POIs coordinates and guessing the address from street name data only so, currently our advice is not to trust Navigon to navigate you to a POI using our app!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify - this only affects the Android version of Navigon. The iOS version works as planned Smile

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is now resolved BUT...:

If you tap on the Google Maps link it will ask if you want to use Navigon - you must NOT use this link as this is the one that Navigon doesn't handle properly.

The 'google maps' link associated with the Navigon link is formatted in such a way to work properly with Navigon...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: