Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert draining battery on HTC desire HD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert draining battery on HTC desire HD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert draining battery on HTC desire HD Reply with quote

CamerAlert is an excelent app, but there is just one small problem, even if you exit the app it continues to run somehow and drains the battery, it is the single most battery hungry app on my phone when not in use!.

I have checked what it is using and it appears to be accessing the in built sensors in the phone, I don't know how to shut it off from doing this except by a reset of the phone.

Is there a process that is started by cameralert to chech the status of the sensors periodically which is not being shut down before exiting the app?.

Anyone else suffering with this problem?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you exiting the app? are you using the menu / exit button?

if not then it will continue to run in the background (you will have a camera icon in the status bar). you can also turn off tracking and shut the app down and it will totally stop it.

MaFt
baystonhill
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not alone, i got CamerAlert a few days back for my new htc desire [not hd] I've used on several small trips and till to day thought it was ok, However for some reason today something and im linking it to CamerAlert as it was the only extra app running from normal my devices battery was drained to 79% on a two hour trip [with being connected to the van supply at all times but being disconnected on short stops when engine off] my display is set up to be on constant display. It was only when i exited the app on known roads did my battery start to recover.

I also noticed something else more worrying as well, it missed cameras as well that were on the display and should have picked up [ eg the last of 3 40mph cameras on the road from J1 M54 into Wolverhampton and the 2nd one on the A41 in Wolverhampton towards J3] .. either by not saying or even stating all clear when even on the display we hadn't passed it [this seamed only to happen when there was a string of cameras close together.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baystonhill wrote:
Your not alone, i got CamerAlert a few days back for my new htc desire [not hd] I've used on several small trips and till to day thought it was ok, However for some reason today something and im linking it to CamerAlert as it was the only extra app running from normal my devices battery was drained to 79% on a two hour trip [with being connected to the van supply at all times but being disconnected on short stops when engine off] my display is set up to be on constant display. It was only when i exited the app on known roads did my battery start to recover.

I would suggest a decent car charger.

baystonhill wrote:
I also noticed something else more worrying as well, it missed cameras as well that were on the display and should have picked up [ eg the last of 3 40mph cameras on the road from J1 M54 into Wolverhampton and the 2nd one on the A41 in Wolverhampton towards J3] .. either by not saying or even stating all clear when even on the display we hadn't passed it [this seamed only to happen when there was a string of cameras close together.

if cameras are in close proximity then you will not get the all clear after each one, instead a single one once they are all 'out of threat range'. it MAY also say 'all clear' if you have turned a corner and the 'threat' is momentarily reduced.

hope that helps a little?

MaFt
baystonhill
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The charger in use is the one supplied with the device by HTC.

2. It said all clear between the two fixed cameras on a straight section of road, the one it missed completely is around a bend but didnt respond at all even though its on the map on the screen.. I know from history that my tomtom doesn't have a problem with either of these roads and indicates correctly.

[PS Im not having a go, just highlighting what we found to happen today, otherwise its an A1 app]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baystonhill wrote:
1. The charger in use is the one supplied with the device by HTC.

In other words as cheap as possible for it to be shipped with it for free ;) Honestly, if you can, try get a proper charger like a belkin one or similar.

baystonhill wrote:
2. It said all clear between the two fixed cameras on a straight section of road, the one it missed completely is around a bend but didn't respond at all even though its on the map on the screen.. I know from history that my tomtom doesn't have a problem with either of these roads and indicates correctly.

can you check on the map and post some camera ID's so i can try work out what's happening here?

also, the tomtom isn't a great comparison as it doesn't take direction/heading into account. if you turn off the direction data in CamerAlert then you will also get warnings around corners (and on the other side of the road etc....)

MaFt
baystonhill
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Ok ill take the charger suggestion on board.

2. Re the camera reporting i think i've may have found the answer but don't know why the device is acting this way as the settings aren't checked [see later] but its all to with the arrows .gatso 683 its didn't report on way in from J1, and the second gatso camera on way out on the A41 is 3002.

Ive have checked the settings of the app on my device and its not set to ignore direction or hide camera behind me, the direction and warning cones are both at default i.e. 45 deg. sensitivity is 50. it is using network location and i think other setting are at default.The software version is 1.0.6.372
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3002 is a one way cam that traps if you are heading 119. i.e. Towards Wolverhampton.
683 is a one way cam heading 20 deg. i.e. Heading out of wolverhampton towards J1 of the M54
If I understand your last post correctly (I often don't) then it appears that your findings are correct. 3002 should not warn going out (Westboundish) and 683 should not warn going in (Southboundish)
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using Cameralert for a few months now on my HTC Desire but all of a sudden it is causing huge battery drain. I have taken a screenshot of the battery usage but wasnt sure how to attach an image to this reply. In summary the usage was;

3hr 23m since unplugged
Cameralert 88% usage with on duration of 19mins
Mobile maps 10 3% usage with on duration of 26 mins.
Android system 3%
Cell standby 2%
Wifi 2%
Display 2%

I have sent a report via the inbuilt report on cameralert. I hope it can maybe shed some light on this.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have helped if you'd explained the crash report! We received it with no reference to any issue or a support ticket or a link to this thread. Until now we had no idea what it referenced!

Are you using a car charger? The GPS will increase battery drain when active and I'm not clear what the data you posted above is supposed to indicate?
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It would have helped if you'd explained the crash report! We received it with no reference to any issue or a support ticket or a link to this thread. Until now we had no idea what it referenced!

Are you using a car charger? The GPS will increase battery drain when active and I'm not clear what the data you posted above is supposed to indicate?

Hi Darren,

it is not a crash report but a summary of tha battery useage stats over a period of 3.5 hours. Cameralert used 88% of the battery usage during this period in the space if 19mins. Surely this cant be correct. It was plugged in using Griffin USB car charger. What I dont understand is the high battery usage of Cameralert. Its normally on par with Mobile maps which i always use it with. Mobile maps used on 3% over a 7min longer period.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teb wrote:
it is not a crash report but a summary of tha battery useage stats over a period of 3.5 hours.

In was referring to the log file I thought that you sent in via email but it wasn't you after all! Smile
Quote:
Cameralert used 88% of the battery usage during this period in the space if 19mins. Surely this cant be correct. It was plugged in using Griffin USB car charger. What I dont understand is the high battery usage of Cameralert. Its normally on par with Mobile maps which i always use it with. Mobile maps used on 3% over a 7min longer period.

Something wrong there certainly especially if it was connected to power. Does this happen every time?
Marlyn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren
I can vouch for teb's report it happens all the time with my Wildfire. Cameralert always is the biggest battery drain even when I exit it and have not used it for a few day's. The only way to stop it is to reboot my phone
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlyn wrote:
I can vouch for teb's report it happens all the time with my Wildfire. Cameralert always is the biggest battery drain even when I exit it and have not used it for a few day's. The only way to stop it is to reboot my phone

How are you exiting CamerAlert? When it is exited it will not be draining any resources at all, it can't. Is the GPS still running after CamerAlert exits?

I'm running the latest release here and it isn't exhibiting any of these issues.
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Marlyn wrote:

How are you exiting CamerAlert? When it is exited it will not be draining any resources at all, it can't. Is the GPS still running after CamerAlert exits?

I'm running the latest release here and it isn't exhibiting any of these issues.

I always exit via tha cameralert program itself. I also confirmed under manage applications that it wasnt still running. I agree with you that it cant when it exited. This would imply the huge battery drain occured during the 19mins it was active which is what my battery manager is showing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: