Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert for iOS updated to v1.3.1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert for iOS updated to v1.3.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: CamerAlert for iOS updated to v1.3.1 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
We're delighted to announce that Apple have, at long last, approved our CamerAlert for iOS update and v1.3.1 is now live in the iTunes App Store.

As we've documented in the Newsletter, this has been a protracted struggle which was triggered by Apple's demand that we drop our direct subscriptions via the app and move to their in-app subscription system.

We won't bore you with the minutae of the battles we've had with Apple over this. Suffice to say that we've had to do a ground up re-write of our subscription software. And, given we couldn't simply wipe the slate clean as we have many thousands of active users, this was no easy task.

Amongst the list of changes in this version are the addition of unknown speed warnings, icons for Variable speed, voices for 140 and 160 speeds, added iGO Primo to the 'also run' list and a number of fixes and improvements to the way the software works.

It's live and available right now in the iTunes App Store here. Thanks to all our loyal customers for their patience. Now we can get to work and concentrate on some more great features and improvements.

email icon

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have a TomTom PND and the iPhone app, does either payment method keep getting me updates for both devices?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nothing changes in that regard, you'll still be able to access your subscription on any supported smartphone and download from our web-site.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
If I have a TomTom PND and the iPhone app, does either payment method keep getting me updates for both devices?

Either payment method will work, but paying through tha apple in-app subscription will give apple 30% of the sub and make our job of support a little more difficult.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
matthewj wrote:

Either payment method will work, but paying through tha apple in-app subscription will give apple 30% of the sub and make our job of support a little more difficult.

Although, to be fair, they've cocked it up and the in-app subscription method doesn't work oops! - however, the subscription method on the PGPSW website does work and can be linked to the device ("Link to different account" button). I wonder if they will take as long to sort out the in-app payment method as they did to approve the latest version - a cynic might suggest that as they are losing their cream, they'll get there rather quicker!

matthewj wrote:
My subscription - DennisN - logs me into both PGPSW website to download the database and into the iPhone version of CamerAlert.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Adamantium
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, it included the different alert time for mobile cameras which I was going to suggest as a feature so was really pleased to see you were already thinking along the same lines.

It prompted me to suggest two more variable warnings which may or may not be the same value.

One for forward other forward facing cameras like truvelo and another where there are cameras in tunnels and the gps reception will be dead possibly long before you reach the usual warning point.

I do appreciate that this will mean adding more descriptive info to the database which might make the idea a non starter. Just a thought!

Keep up the excellent work, your product is fantastic and easily the most important ap/subscription on my phone.
sturmey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: congrats! Reply with quote

This version was well worth the wait.
Only been using for past couple of days, but so far it is working exactly how I want it to.
I do have one problem though... the maps appear to be shaded out in grey or dimmed as soon as the gps cursor moves into them... probably a simple thing, but check and my Db is bang up to date? what am I missing?
Thanks anyway for all your hard work last year.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely clear what you are describing, can you take a screenshot of it?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: congrats! Reply with quote

sturmey wrote:
Only been using for past couple of days, but so far it is working exactly how I want it to.
I do have one problem though... the maps appear to be shaded out in grey or dimmed as soon as the gps cursor moves into them... probably a simple thing, but check and my Db is bang up to date? what am I missing?

You have night colours turned on. The grey shading is to reduce brightness when driving at night!

MaFt
sturmey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: congrats! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
sturmey wrote:

You have night colours turned on. The grey shading is to reduce brightness when driving at night!

MaFt

Yep you were right, dimmed maps disappeared when switching off night mode. Curiously, it greyed the maps this morning though 08:30am when it is no longer night time. Should it be clever enough to figure out when it is dark?
For future versions, I would expand the area of map that you grey out, as regularly, the map panned to the edge of a greyed out area, and an area of full colour map can be seen. After a while, the grey area shifts and covers whole screen again. Not really a problem, but suggest this could be made a bit slicker very easily. Thanks again.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: congrats! Reply with quote

sturmey wrote:
Yep you were right, dimmed maps disappeared when switching off night mode. Curiously, it greyed the maps this morning though 08:30am when it is no longer night time. Should it be clever enough to figure out when it is dark?

Not at the moment, we're discussing ways to automate it but at the moment it's manual only.

sturmey wrote:
For future versions, I would expand the area of map that you grey out, as regularly, the map panned to the edge of a greyed out area, and an area of full colour map can be seen. After a while, the grey area shifts and covers whole screen again. Not really a problem, but suggest this could be made a bit slicker very easily. Thanks again.

Was this when driving or in 'couch mode'? When driving it does work as planned. Couch-mode is a different beast though Wink

MaFt
sturmey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: congrats! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
sturmey wrote:

Not at the moment, we're discussing ways to automate it but at the moment it's manual only.

sturmey wrote:

Was this when driving or in 'couch mode'? When driving it does work as planned. Couch-mode is a different beast though Wink

MaFt
Hmm, not sure what 'couch mode' is but I was travelling above 100km/h. See attached screenshots. 1st is when cursor is approaching edge of a greyed out tile, but shortly afterwards (3rd photo) iphone catches up and greys out full screen again.
http://t.co/MH5LYa
http://t.co/VVEefNrB
http://t.co/Ti8HI3Dp

links edited by MaFt (although first one doesn't work)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

I'll pass these onto Lutz to look at tweaking the shading code.

Do you use 'zoom automatically'? Also what about 'View more ahead'?

1st link doesn't work

2nd link shows the issue with the shading not catching up fast enough.

That 3rd link is just a drop in data so the map tiles didn't show, just the 'grid' underneath.

MaFt

PS 'Couch mode' is when the user is fiddling with the app whilst sat on the couch Very Happy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic 1 - http://t.co/MqYH5LYa
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can try to extend the area some more, but it is a fine balance between covering a large enough area (keep in mind we need to take rotation into account) and slowing down the app too much. You wouldn't believe the amount of witchcraft that went into that feature.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: