Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How *not* to buy Navigon for Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How *not* to buy Navigon for Android

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: How *not* to buy Navigon for Android Reply with quote

From Facebook:
"I bought a Navigon product for my Android device a few years back. Downloaded the product from Navigon home page and received an activation key. Now that I have change my device to one with a different android version, I cannot download nor install the Navigon product on my new device. Customer support by telephone tells me I have to buy a new product???? Even though the home page FAQ tells me otherwise. I did not expect this from a huge and supposedly "serious" company."

Comment from another user:
"I regret telling you that what Navigon told you is correct. If you buy the software from the Navigon homepage, it will be connected to the IMEI-No. (sort of serial no.) of your phone, which is changing when you're buying a new phone. It doesn't matter which Android Version you have. You should buy the software from the Play Store (formerly known as Android Market) on your phone, and it will be connected to your Google Account, which you are also able to use on your next Android Phone."

Comment from me:
I bought Navigon UK via what is now known as Google Play and then bought the (life-time) maps (which includes Europe) and live traffic via 'in app' purchase. While I can re-install the UK version on another Android device the 'in app' purchases won't transfer.

Moral of this story:
If you are thinking of getting a new Android phone wait before buying Navigon.
Buy via Google Play and buy the highest level you want - in my case I should have bought the Europe not UK version and then bought the life-time maps and live traffic as 'in app' purchases.
If you are prepared to completely uninstall every 3 months then you will get the latest maps when you reinstall as they are part of the Google purchase.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin bought Navigon because they had a better understanding (and market share) of the app market than they have

Pity then that Navigon doesn't really understand how selling and then supporting apps on smartphones work

People swap and change their units, and except (at least over the same platform) to take their apps and content with them. Eventually this will need to be over multiplatforms, as we all switch away from Android and iOS to other smarter systems

On well, maybe rather than spend £50m on a company next time, they may spend a little bit of time asking users what they expect from a Sat Nav App supplier, and save themselves a few pounds in doing so
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
On well, maybe rather than spend £50m on a company next time, they may spend a little bit of time asking users what they expect from a Sat Nav App supplier, and save themselves a few pounds in doing so

Navigon are used to locking people in to their PNDs and then getting them to pay for upgrades and/or buy better spec'd new units. With Android they are simply trying to protect their revenue stream as best they can in a different environment.

I fully expect them to cut me off from future updates at some point and I will have to give them more money to continue.

I also think Google will be under pressure to modify their present 'any android' download policy - perhaps we will have to register a device with them and then tell them when we change it!

We live in interesting times. Laughing
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Pleasant Surprise! Reply with quote

Have just bought an Android Tablet for the 'van (was fed up with lugging my compact PC around) Smile

I installed Navigon UK from the Google Play store and had to restart it as usual to get the maps etc downloaded. This restarting went on and on as I slowly got more and more until finally I got not just the UK (including 7 digit postcodes) but the whole of Europe plus Live Traffic. Surprised

So either I was mistaken (possibly/probably) or Google has been talking to Navigon.
Whichever, I am obviously pleased that I now have the full facility on both my 3" phone and 10" tablet Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: