Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav Drives Workmen To Erect Scaffolding On Wrong House
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav Drives Workmen To Erect Scaffolding On Wrong House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: SatNav Drives Workmen To Erect Scaffolding On Wrong House Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A group of confused builders managed to erect scaffolding on the wrong house after failing to check their satnav.

A baffled resident returned to his home to find scaffolding around his property as a result of the confusion. The mix-up occurred when the builders went to the wrong address following the advice of the sat-nav.

The scaffolding was put up on a property in Windmill Close in Barkway, Royston. However, this was the wrong Windmill Close. The correct address was situated just 8 miles away, in Bassingbourn.

Both streets have an SG8 postcode, yet Google maps and a number of digital maps, including sat-nav maps, reportedly show the newly built road when the older one is searched for.

Residents at the newer Windmill Close have received a number of items that were not meant for them such as televisions, bailiff notices, beds and cookers.

Royal Mail claims that the problems lie with individual companies and sat-nav providers. The red-faced builders have since removed the scaffolding after the homeowner had to call the people that the scaffolding was intended for, as he did not know who put it up.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, a Royal Mail spokesman claimed that all the details, including postcodes and road names, were correct on its database, however, “not everybody updates their own records.”
email icon

richkiddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Satnav fault? Reply with quote

I think the Local Authority is also partially to blame. Why name a new road with the same name as another, that is relatively close by?

Though Royal mail could also be partially responsible as SG8, covering an area of obviously over 8 miles, is rather broad. Royal Mail's licensing of postcode map data could also be at play here too, as I've had satnavs before that only allowed you to search the first part due to licensing.

There probably isn't even a windmill there...
idf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Satnav fault? Reply with quote

richkiddy wrote:
I think the Local Authority is also partially to blame. Why name a new road with the same name as another, that is relatively close by?

You've obviously never been to Leeds, they have several adjacent street names and the only difference is street, road, close, grove etc.

Interesting to see Royal Mail blaming Sat Nav providers for not updating databases. Maybe they should look closer to home. Royal Mail have the geo-coords for our work address postcode as the local sorting office 3 miles away. They have been told about it several times over the years since SatNavs became popular and nothing has ever changed. We tell visitors to use the postcode of a house near the entrance to our site.
razak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Work Men and Sat Navs. Reply with quote

Well now I have seen it all, workmen blaming the satnav because they put the scaffold on the wrong house.
How stupid are they, I hope they found their way home after.
They are only used to driving 6" from the car in front, but, I suppose they have to blame something.
Vincenzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got curious as you do and searched for Windmill Close in both places. The one in Barkway, Royston is easy to find, comes up on Google maps etc. The one in Basingbourn on the other hand doesn't show at all. I looked it up on the Royal Mail Address Finder and it shows it on a map. Checked out the location on Google and sure enough, it's a field.
If I can't find it at home using a cable modem and 20mb a second or whatever, what chance has some builder got with a plaster covered satnav. Bad marks all round to the Royal Mail.
SomeoneHasMyName
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Work Men and Sat Navs. Reply with quote

razak wrote:
Well now I have seen it all, workmen blaming the satnav because they put the scaffold on the wrong house.
How stupid are they, I hope they found their way home after.
They are only used to driving 6" from the car in front, but, I suppose they have to blame something.

You've clearly never had to differentiate between 2 different road names in the same area with the same name then. I've done it in the days before SatNav, also been sent to plenty of correct addresses (right name, number, road, postcode etc...) but actually completely incorrect. Really quite annoying, no good everyone just blaming each other, someone needs to fix it. Getting better these days though, now you can search via postcode using more than 2 digits, although still not always helpful.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincenzo wrote:
I got curious as you do and searched for Windmill Close in both places. The one in Barkway, Royston is easy to find, comes up on Google maps etc. The one in Basingbourn on the other hand doesn't show at all. I looked it up on the Royal Mail Address Finder and it shows it on a map. Checked out the location on Google and sure enough, it's a field.
If I can't find it at home using a cable modem and 20mb a second or whatever, what chance has some builder got with a plaster covered satnav. Bad marks all round to the Royal Mail.

Why blame Royal Mail because Google have not updated their maps and satellite images? I am guessing that that field is now a new housing estate.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
trigpoint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some places I have seen the postcode on street signs, maybe all local authorities should do this.

At least there would be a way of checking you are in the right street.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigpoint wrote:
In some places I have seen the postcode on street signs, maybe all local authorities should do this.
Maybe the local council tax payers might just decide that this is a terrible waste of their cash to replace all the street signs just to add the Postcode. What about long streets that have multiple postcodes? Just add more street name signs with arrows pointing in the directionof the relevant postcode? This would be a typical government ploy of not thinking things through before implementing a change and then carrying on regardless of cost, rather than having to U turn when the full implications are suddenly 'discovered'.
What's wrong with the old procedure? Where am I? I'm in Eastbourne. What road am I on? Seaside. Thats OK then. What house number do I want? 125. Ah that's just down the road a bit. Can't go much wrong using that technique. Rolling Eyes
deltagb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have knocked before they started, surely someone would have been in, if scaffolding was going up,

I've heard of wrong turns bridges to small but this is a 1st Laughing Out Loud
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deltagb wrote:
They should have knocked before they started, surely someone would have been in, if scaffolding was going up,
Of course someone would have been in. In the right house Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
deltagb wrote:
Of course someone would have been in. In the right house Rolling Eyes

I think that's what they were saying!! If the builders had knocked they'd have realised no one was in and maybe questioned if they were at the right address.

MaFt
exeterscaffoldservices
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kremmen - Spam link removed
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it seem that spammers generally post in threads years old. Probably in this case because it has scaffold in the title.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: