Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing format
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my count, there are 8 POIs with more than 31 subcategories (including car dealerships which I'd think are unlikely to be wanted in total by many people, and low bridges, which are Premium downloads for subscribers only).

However, we need the POI kings here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, the POI download page instructions say a max of 20 sub-categories for .ov2. So at the very least this info needs changing to whatever is the correct number......(or even if it's always the same or depends on, I dunno, file size or something)

I take your point about not being too much trouble to 'filter out' unwanted sub-categories, but if this problem could be solved it would make the POI download process for .ov2 so, so much slicker and quicker.

A thought: for those folk who aren't bothered bu sub-categories, could PGSPW offer a POI set which is essentially already combined? If I wanted to see what exactly is in there I could consult the other POI page (eg what hotels/supermarkets/car dealers are included?) but for download I don't care so it could be just one category.

Does that make sense?[/i]
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of sympathy for you, but see last sentence of my previous post. We need the (only two) guys who know about and administer the POIs, because I am out of my comfort zone with this.

I don't have a need for the POIs myself - I deliver from A to B and the only real need I've ever found was for Fish and Chips when I'm far from home at tea time, which TomTom have utterly ruined by dropping Google Search in favour of the rubbishy thing they now offer - that's another of the useful features they've "improved" into uselessness. I have yet to find even one single "POI" search which produces even a faintly relevant result - I'd really love for somebody to tell me a search I could do which did - my own dentist of forty years is not listed and the nearest one allegedly located 350 yards away is one helluva long 350 yards away (navigate to gives it as 1.1 miles), my one and only local fish and taters shop is apparently inside Iceland (supermarket, not bank!) and as for fuel....

Old fogey doesn't like change? No fear, I love change, but not for the worse.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I love change, but not for the worse.
Then I'm surprised that you don't find an alternative to TT Very Happy Confused

PS. That was a rhetorical statement Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my TTs is wrapped up in a 10K van!

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
We need the (only two) guys who know about and administer the POIs, because I am out of my comfort zone with this.
The 'only two guys' ONLY administer the DB. The back-end workings were written elsewhere.

I believe the problem lies with the way that OV2s are created. Apparently if a large number of, not necessarily large, files are used, it requires a lot of processing memory.

NukeThemAll wrote:
... could PGSPW offer a POI set which is essentially already combined?
The POIs are generated 'on the fly' (which is where the problem lies), which enables end-users an enormous range of combinations.

To have a unique tailored combination of POIs for each user, would be a logistical nightmare and very complicated to update. Each new, or updated, POI would need to be incorporated into every users own personal set.

I don't want to even think about going there. Shocked

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy, I'm not asking for 'individually-tailored' data sets - just an option to download the already-combined POI files (ie what I could do without problem if it was garmin csv I needed, and I just ticked the top-level box and didn't try and choose the sub-categories).

Given the small file sizes involved and the speed of modern computing, I'm still puzzled over this constant failure regarding exceeding some limit on combining the .ov2 sub-categories. If that can't be fixed any time soon, then that's why my alternative idea might be useful. After all, many users would be quite happy to just have a complete POI category eg Accommodation, without feeling the need to choose which hotel chains: as I said earlier, file sizes are small so it's not as if users are going to have a critical issue of SD card storage.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that PGPSW has moved to 'new servers' I'll ask again: can someone please fix the approx 20 sub-category limit on the .ov2 POIs? - assuming that the problem is indeed memory/CPU capability as has been surmised. Please?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Now that PGPSW has moved to 'new servers' I'll ask again: can someone please fix the approx 20 sub-category limit on the .ov2 POIs? - assuming that the problem is indeed memory/CPU capability as has been surmised. Please?

30 should be fine now. Basically creating such a huge ov2 file is a MASSIVE system hog. Even allowing up to 1GB of RAM it's still not enough to create a single file of all the Accommodation POIs - about 45 sub cat's. Remember, that's 1GB for each person using the site... Most sites have a memory allocation of 32mb for a PHP script...

If you're really desperate for a combined file of so many POIs then can I suggest you download the CSV/Garmin version and use a desktop app to convert it to an ov2 file?

MaFt
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt - but you'll see from my previous postings that - as a Mac user - the 'simple process' of converting Garmin .csv to TT .ov2 is anything but: it's a real pain in the bottom, error-prone and certainly not a slick process. (Could the web page adopt this conversion process if it's so memory/CPU intensive to generate .ov2 as opposed to the relative ease of .csv? Just a thought......)

Let me also take a moment to - once gain - heap praise on both PGPSW and all POI contributors for this hugely useful POI set. We've recently been on holiday and, with the demise of Google Search on TT, used the POIs a lot eg where's the nearest big supermarket or fuel station or.....

And that's the pain of having to be selective in the POIs, because sod's law says the one sub-category you de-selected happens to have the POI you're searching for.....oh yes, because it happened to us. Resorted to google search on smartphone Rolling Eyes !
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Thanks MaFt - but you'll see from my previous postings that - as a Mac user - the 'simple process' of converting Garmin .csv to TT .ov2 is anything but: it's a real pain in the bottom, error-prone and certainly not a slick process.

Have you tried GPS Babel? http://www.gpsbabel.org/

NukeThemAll wrote:
(Could the web page adopt this conversion process if it's so memory/CPU intensive to generate .ov2 as opposed to the relative ease of .csv? Just a thought......)

Yes, that may be possible. I'll look into a way we may be implement this. It may not be a simple process so don't wait up for me ;)

MaFt
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt. I have indeed tried gspbabel but without success - no matter which of the POI sets I use I get the same error diagnostic:

gpsbabel -w -i garmin_poi,snwhite=1,snupper=0,snunique=0,prefer_shortnames=0 -f /Users/********/Documents/TomTomPOIs/GarminTrial/POIs.zip Folder/Association_PGPSW.csv -o tomtom -F Association_PGPSW
Invalid longitude -99999999.000000 in waypoint Name.

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

I've opened the .csv file in Excel but can't see any such numerical value or indeed anything that looks untoward. I agree that gpsbabel looks like an ideal solution - but I can't get it to work on my Mac
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
I've opened the .csv file in Excel but can't see any such numerical value or indeed anything that looks untoward.

If you remove the header row ";Longitude, Latitude..." from teh first line then it converts it correctly.

MaFt
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks: this does indeed now work (although I haven't yet tried the .ov2 file in my TT).

I guess that means I have to open each .csv file with Excel and remove the first row before I translate? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again for the rapid response, much appreciated
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye, it would need each one editing.

BUT as it's not required by Garmin I've removed the line so the CSV downloads will convert without needing to edit.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: