Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK's speed cameras, where they're on and where they're not
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK's speed cameras, where they're on and where they're not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: UK's speed cameras, where they're on and where they're not Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Some interesting data, courtesy of the BBC and their PostCode Lottery series, reveals which speed camera partnerships have the largest percentage of their speed camera arsenal active, and which don't.

Cumbria, West Mercia and Sussex take the lead with 100% of their cameras active. Gwent, Leicestershire and London have approximately 50% of their cameras active at any one time and bringing up the rear are Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Thames Valley have a lowly 12% or less of their cameras are in use at any one time.

email icon

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame they didn't tell us which are active and which are not. Unless you live in Sussex etc. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. But is that speed cameras or speed camera boxes? From my past experience there is a difference ("they" don't have cameras in every box). For example (and my geography is not yer top ability) does West Mercia include M42?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Shame they didn't tell us which are active and which are not.

Yes, however things change and they could swap the cameras around. If you caught caught I don't think the plea of "well that camera was supposed to be inactive" would help you much. Wink

So we might as well treat every camera as active, like they do in Cumbria, West Mercia, and Sussex! Thumbs Up

Anyway, cameras are only for safety and not for revenue! Laughing

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
does West Mercia include M42?

West Mercia is Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire. The M42 camera area is either West Midlands or Warwickshire where the variable limits and cameras are.
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Portsmouth...... Reply with quote

We're never sure whether the statics in Pompey are on or off as last April the City Council were not going to fund them anymore......

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/transport/portsmouth_pulls_the_plug_on_fixed_speed_cameras_1_2555605

Or is it just a wheeze ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you did notice the date of that report:grin:
ddavenpo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: What Percentage cameras Active ? Reply with quote

Well I drive around the country a lot and always checkout every Gatso and Red Light camera I go past (when going the other way of course) and I would say that at least 90% are empty almost all of the time so would question this as highly suspicious data (ie police propaganda). On the other hand I also agree that they do move them around and that the really are trying to catch you as much as they can so you have to treat them all as in use anyway. They hold all the cards.

Re the Gatsos they are putting up by the hundreds on motorways (aka 'Variable Speed Control' areas) these are at least as empty if you look which you can in most sections (again going the other way) but again you can't afford to take the risk.

On the subject of police forces and areas though - is there a link or other data anywhere which defines where the areas and borders are ?
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any more data than in your summary above, and of so can we have a link to the original story/data, please? Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What Percentage cameras Active ? Reply with quote

ddavenpo wrote:
Well I drive around the country a lot and always checkout every Gatso and Red Light camera I go past (when going the other way of course) and I would say that at least 90% are empty almost all of the time

How can you tell? Are you saying it's obvious from the outside?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its obvious from the outside if a camera is loaded into the box. Look at the window that the camera looks out of and you can see the lens. It's easy enough to see from the opposite side of the road whilst driving.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Yes, its obvious from the outside if a camera is loaded into the box. Look at the window that the camera looks out of and you can see the lens. It's easy enough to see from the opposite side of the road whilst driving.
But the subject of empty boxes has been discussed at length here . The decision has been made, so it's pointless trying to identify empty boxes, however easy. "When you are going the other way" Shocked So you know the box on the other carriageway is empty, but get caught by the one on your carriageway that isn't Rolling Eyes Good result eh Question
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
... it's pointless trying to identify empty boxes, however easy. "When you are going the other way" Shocked So you know the box on the other carriageway is empty, but get caught by the one on your carriageway that isn't Rolling Eyes Good result eh Question
Try not to be quite so antagonistic. Andy_P asked if it was obvious from the outside if a box contained a camera. I answered his question. I really don't care if you think that the exercise is pointless.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: