Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changed Routing after App 9.400 and Map v885
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changed Routing after App 9.400 and Map v885
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Changed Routing after App 9.400 and Map v885 Reply with quote

Testing on my GO950Live this am and noticed that after these two recent updates, routing has now changed.
I have device set to Fastest Route, but today the routes planned were more reminiscent of another Truck device that I have which takes more major routes in preference to the more direct routes.

Anyone noticed that anomoly Question
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effect of more IQ routing data imbedded within the 885 map?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Could be, David Crying or Very sad Got to do a lot more driving over known routes before I can see if this is a good thing or not. I have an RV and travel extensively in mainland Europe for another company, so will have to see how - if at all - this will effect me.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something that's bugged me for years as the TomTom prefers to send me on routes 33% longer because it saves a few seconds, but that's the black & white world of computers, just 1 second shorter still makes it the shortest route Surprised
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
It's something that's bugged me for years as the TomTom prefers to send me on routes 33% longer because it saves a few seconds, but that's the black & white world of computers, just 1 second shorter still makes it the shortest route Surprised

Agreed. BUT, I am referring specifically to the latest Map/Application which is sending me on longer/slower routes I would not dream of using with an ordinary car - truck or RV, yes, as the routes are using higher classification roads and avoiding the built up areas and country roads. Got to test it a lot more before I am really sure about this... Only had it just over a day.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that routeing annoying Evil or Very Mad

I often go from Heathrow(ish) to Malvern and the best route is up the M40, Oxford bypass, Evesham, Pershore, etc. That route is 104 miles and is fairly quick, no major problems, 2½ hours on a good day.

The SatNav, even when shortest route is selected tries to take me right up the M40 to almost Birmingham and then back down the M42, total mileage 129 and very little time saving but certainly more expensive on fuel (and boring but the SatNav won't know that).

That route would be OK if I'd selected fastest but not for shortest.

Put the same shortest option journey into Microsoft MapPoint and it takes me the 104 mile route.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head; IQ routing taking into account varying traffic conditions at different times of the day but if 'shortest route' is selected, surely it shouldn't change - there can be only one that is shortest?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gee-Pee, I know that this is going off topic a little bit but I rarely drive "flat-out" anywhere these days and, as you drive an RV, I suspect that you don't either. I have all of my devices set to Limited Speed 90km/h (55mph-ish). This seems to have an equaling effect and throws out the routes which are 2 secs quicker but 25 miles longer and returns the routes which I would probably choose myself. It has the added bonus of giving a comfortably achievable and always beatable ETA. Sorry for the OT reply.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Sorry Gee-Pee, I know that this is going off topic a little bit but I rarely drive "flat-out" anywhere these days and, as you drive an RV, I suspect that you don't either. I have all of my devices set to Limited Speed 90km/h (55mph-ish). This seems to have an equaling effect and throws out the routes which are 2 secs quicker but 25 miles longer and returns the routes which I would probably choose myself. It has the added bonus of giving a comfortably achievable and always beatable ETA. Sorry for the OT reply.

Hola AliOnHols! I guess I do still drive a bit too fast - have to get there asap! Where-ever 'that' is! I sometimes look at the speedo and find I am pushing 130kph on the German Autobahns then take my foot off to a more comfortable 110kph. I have a 'Truck' satnav and I can put the vehicle Max speed into the calculation, so that makes the eta more realistic - I also get a warning when I exceed that speed. Trouble is, the calculation also takes into account narrow roads (excluded), built up areas (excluded), low bridges etc. so my journey can be longer in length. You cannot win!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

Agreed. BUT, I am referring specifically to the latest Map/Application which is sending me on longer/slower routes I would not dream of using with an ordinary car - truck or RV, yes, as the routes are using higher classification roads and avoiding the built up areas and country roads. Got to test it a lot more before I am really sure about this... Only had it just over a day.

At least I had the consolation that the longer route was quicker (according to TomTom!?!) even if only a bugs whisker but I'd be seriously P'd off if I was given a longer/slower route.

But much as TomTom does P me off I've been using a combination of BMW Nav & Google maps for the last couple of months because I can't find anywhere reasonable to fit the TomTom in my 3 series, but routes the BMW Nav in particular sends me on can often only be described as bazaar so roll on TomTom Android!
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
. . . . I have all of my devices set to Limited Speed 90km/h (55mph-ish). This seems to have an equaling effect and throws out the routes which are 2 secs quicker but 25 miles longer and returns the routes which I would probably choose myself.

I've not heard of this feature before. Is it available on the GO LIVE 750 and where do I find it please? How does it work and do you think it would give a more realistic route? Sorry for all the questions.

I've just updated to the new map and operating system and was a little disturbed to hear of the apparent changes.

Barry
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:
. . . . I have all of my devices set to Limited Speed 90km/h (55mph-ish). This seems to have an equaling effect and throws out the routes which are 2 secs quicker but 25 miles longer and returns the routes which I would probably choose myself.

I've not heard of this feature before. Is it available on the GO LIVE 750 and where do I find it please? How does it work and do you think it would give a more realistic route? Sorry for all the questions.

I've just updated to the new map and operating system and was a little disturbed to hear of the apparent changes.

Barry

On Go 950 it is:-
Preferences - Planning Preferences (screen #3) -Always plan for limited speed - choose speed etc and accept all the following screens.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
the TomTom prefers to send me on routes 33% longer because it saves a few seconds, but that's the black & white world of computers, just 1 second shorter still makes it the shortest route Surprised
No it doesn't, it makes it the fastest route. The shortest route is the one of the least distance Shocked
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
On Go 950 it is:-
Preferences - Planning Preferences (screen #3) -Always plan for limited speed - choose speed etc and accept all the following screens.

Oh yes . . . . thanks for that I'll give it a go.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
IanS100 wrote:
the TomTom prefers to send me on routes 33% longer because it saves a few seconds, but that's the black & white world of computers, just 1 second shorter still makes it the shortest route Surprised
No it doesn't, it makes it the fastest route. The shortest route is the one of the least distance Shocked

oops Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: