Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom again trying to withold services we have paid for ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom again trying to withold services we have paid for ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABeeBeeSee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: TomTom again trying to withold services we have paid for ... Reply with quote

Just updated GO live 750, then was presented with the following ...

... section in red is interesting ...

Only if you give us your permission, your navigation device will continuously collect information and send it to TomTom at regular intervasls. The information is also stored on your device until you connect it to your PC, then the information is sent to TomTom and deleted from your device. The information includes details that identify the navigation device, details about routes and locations, your MyTomTom account name and information entered while you were using the navigation device.

TomTom uses this information to be able to deliver LIVE services to you and to improve the HD Traffic service.

Within twenty minutes of switching off your navigation device, TomTom automatically and irreversibly destroys any data that allows identification of you or your device. This, now anonymous, information is used to improve TomTom’s products and services, such as maps, reports on Points of Interest and average speeds driven. These products and services are also used by government agencies and businesses.

Using your navigation device, you can join the MapShare Community or report speed cameras. If you choose to use either of these services, your reports, that include location information and your MyTomTom account name, are sent to TomTom and kept together with your MyToimTom account. TomTom then uses your information to improive its maps and speed cameras.

If you no longer allow sharing of information, none of the above information is sent to TomTom and information previousl;y stored on your device is deleted. You won’t be able to receive HD Traffic or mobile speed camera locations, or use any other LIVE services. TomTom will not give anyone else access to the information collected from your navigation device.

In choosing to provide TomTom with information you are helpimng to Make driving better,specifically by improving maps, traffic flows and reducing congestion. We appreciate your help.

Note: The length or end date of your service subscription does not change if you do not allow shairing of information.

This navigation device uses a GSM network that contains location information about your navigation device. By law, the network operator may be required to retain this location and other information for law enforcement purposes and TomTom has no influence over this. If you disable information sharing the mobile network connection is not active and the network operator cannot store location information.

If you think that your informnation is not being used for the purpose for which you have provided it to TomTom, contact us at http://tomtom.com/support.

See our privacy policy at http://tomtom.com/privacy."

So if I don't agree, my LIVE services (paid for - in red) will be deactivated unless I give permission to let them collect my movements AND account details including account name ...

Discuss ...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's being discussed already....

Thing is... you always gave your permission in the past. They've now just spelled out exactly what happens when you don't.

I suspect it was all in the small print when you first signed up for LIVE Services anyway, it just wasn't so obvious.

The only thing they haven't explained is how (or whether ) they would reimburse you if you refused now. Again, I expect that's in the small print.

BTW, to keep discussion on this point all in the same place, I've deleted your duplicate post in the software download topic.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
......The only thing they haven't explained is how (or whether ) they would reimburse you if you refused now. Again, I expect that's in the small print.....

I was wondering about that also because TomTom's statement :-

ABeeBeeSee wrote:
......If you no longer allow sharing of information, ............ You won’t be able to receive HD Traffic or mobile speed camera locations, or use any other LIVE services.....

and
ABeeBeeSee wrote:
....Note: The length or end date of your service subscription does not change if you do not allow shairing of information.....

seems to contradict itself.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom again trying to withold services we have paid for Reply with quote

ABeeBeeSee wrote:
The information includes details that identify the navigation device, details about routes and locations, your MyTomTom account name and information entered while you were using the navigation device.
{SNIP}
This, now anonymous, information is used to improve TomTom’s products and services,
Shocked Shocked

It does not contradict itself at all. If you don't agree, you don't get live and you don't get a refund. Simples.
But my point does seem to contradicy itself. Its either anonymous, or they collect your username. It can't be both.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but reading the two snippets I referred to above, the first says that if you don't agree, TT shall stop LIVE services and the second snippet implies that if you don't agree, TT shall not curtail your LIVE subscription. If not contradictory, it's certainly confusing (well, to me at least).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I see how you are reading it now. I read the second bit like you won't get any money back, and you read it such that your live service will not be curtailed. That's a really good ambiguous statement, isn't it Shocked
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True double Dutch there.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
True double Dutch there.
Clever Very Happy
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom again trying to withold services we have paid for Reply with quote

ABeeBeeSee wrote:
This, now anonymous, information is used to improve TomTom’s products and services, such as maps, reports on Points of Interest and average speeds driven. These products and services are also used by government agencies and businesses.

The key word here is 'now'; it sounds like they initially collect information including your account name and then anonymise the information before using it internally and passing it on.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Someone somewhere keeps ALL the information, just in case they can think of a use for it.

ABeeBeeSee wrote:
.....This navigation device uses a GSM network that contains location information about your navigation device. By law, the network operator may be required to retain this location and other information for law enforcement purposes and TomTom has no influence over this......

SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
......The only thing they haven't explained is how (or whether ) they would reimburse you if you refused now. Again, I expect that's in the small print.....

I was wondering about that also because TomTom's statement :-
ABeeBeeSee wrote:
......If you no longer allow sharing of information, ............ You won’t be able to receive HD Traffic or mobile speed camera locations, or use any other LIVE services.....

and
ABeeBeeSee wrote:
....Note: The length or end date of your service subscription does not change if you do not allow shairing of information.....

seems to contradict itself.

Surely what they mean is your subscription still expires at the same time, but you get nothing for it!

Also, if at some point in the future before your subscription expires you decide to allow sharing, your subscription won't be extended by the period for which you didn't receive Live services.
Samsung Galaxy S21
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita, I'm no longer confused, Thanks.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And......

If you do decide to change your mind and share info AND IF you do decide to do so before the expiry of your current subscription then, well, it's still there for you to use (for the remaining time left......)

Think Shakespeare was right when he said, "First, kill all the lawyers" Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great quote!

I looked it up, and it's from Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78

Quote:
All:
God save your majesty!

Cade:
I thank you, good people—there shall be no money; all shall eat
and drink on my score, and I will apparel them all in one livery,
that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

Dick:
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do.

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakespeare was wrong. He should have written, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the politicians."

They're the ones who passed the data protection law that TomTom is complying with.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: