Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FREE CamAlert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE CamAlert

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dennisf
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Mar 05, 2006
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: FREE CamAlert Reply with quote

Hi, just read the latest newsletter which stated for a limited time CamAlert was being offered for free.

To celebrate CamerAlert scoring 4 out of 5 stars in the Tap! Magazine review, and it trouncing the AA Safety Camera app, we've decided to reduce the price of CamerAlert from 69p to FREE for a limited period.

Just been to download it, and it's still showing as 69P, when does the 'free' download period start ??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
253
Lifetime Member


Joined: Mar 05, 2007
Posts: 1054
Location: The green bit between the M40, M4 and M25.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's free for Apple devices, not for Android, at least that's my understanding of ity
_________________
Triumph Tbird 1700. And now a Bonnie T100 as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dennisf
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Mar 05, 2006
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
It's free for Apple devices, not for Android, at least that's my understanding of ity

The text does not specify it's only free for fanboy fones, but the graphic shows the ios version, i took that to just be an example, will still buy it, but as they say, every little helps when it comes to savings !!
Just noticed the reference to ios in the item header, my mistake, but why only make it free for one platform, why not both ??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14462
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason for making it free was because we've been fighting with Apple since October to get the latest version released. Android app, in the mean time, has had about 5 or 6 updates during this time...

MaFt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1923

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Another reason for making it free was because we've been fighting with Apple since October to get the latest version released. Android app, in the mean time, has had about 5 or 6 updates during this time...

MaFt


MaFt, excuse my curiosity but reading between the lines that implies that if you offer the App for free it doesn't have to be scrutinised by Apple. Is that how it works?
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14462
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Another reason for making it free was because we've been fighting with Apple since October to get the latest version released. Android app, in the mean time, has had about 5 or 6 updates during this time...

MaFt


MaFt, excuse my curiosity but reading between the lines that implies that if you offer the App for free it doesn't have to be scrutinised by Apple. Is that how it works?


Nope, you misunderstand! We're still waiting for the approval to add the new features etc. In the mean time, to keep potential new customers happy, we've made the old version available for free.

Hope that's a bit clearer?

MaFt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1923

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, thanks for the reply. Very Happy
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jan 10, 2004
Posts: 2777
Location: Bonnie Scotland (West Central)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Nope, you misunderstand! We're still waiting for the approval to add the new features etc. In the mean time, to keep potential new customers happy, we've made the old version available for free.

Hope that's a bit clearer?

MaFt
So when the Jobsian Empire finally get round to approving it, those who've had the free version will have to pay for the upgrade, while those who have paid will get the upgrade free?
_________________
Jock

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23847
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennisf wrote:
The text does not specify it's only free for fanboy fones

Correction, the title of that news item, see here and here states "CamerAlert for iOS IS FREE For a Limited Period".

I think that's quite clear.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor


Last edited by Darren on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23847
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
So when the Jobsian Empire finally get round to approving it, those who've had the free version will have to pay for the upgrade, while those who have paid will get the upgrade free?

No. If you've paid for it, all updates are free, you're never charged for an update.

And, let's not lose sight of the fact that on Android, it's still only a FIFTY NINE PENCE app. If you're that offended at the thought of spending 59p then I'm guessing you're never likely to become a subscriber!
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jan 10, 2004
Posts: 2777
Location: Bonnie Scotland (West Central)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
So when the Jobsian Empire finally get round to approving it, those who've had the free version will have to pay for the upgrade, while those who have paid will get the upgrade free?

No. If you've paid for it, all updates are free, you're never charged for an update.

[Devils advocate mode]
And if you haven't paid for it, or have paid 0.00 for it, do you still get updates for free?
[/Devils advocate mode]
_________________
Jock

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23847
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
And if you haven't paid for it, or have paid 0.00 for it, do you still get updates for free?

So long as we are talking about software updates, then yes.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jan 10, 2004
Posts: 2777
Location: Bonnie Scotland (West Central)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
And if you haven't paid for it, or have paid 0.00 for it, do you still get updates for free?

So long as we are talking about software updates, then yes.
A bargain! Laughing
_________________
Jock

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23847
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it is now FREE in Android and iOS app stores.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
18.093 (16 Sep 20)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping