Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any recommendations for Freelander 2 bean bag mount?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any recommendations for Freelander 2 bean bag mount?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Any recommendations for Freelander 2 bean bag mount? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just persuaded my father to use my old SatNav (TomTom 730T) in his Land Rover Freelander 2 (MY 2008).

He doesn't like the standard windscreen sucker mount because it is too far away and the security issues of leaving the sucker marks on the windscreen.

I've shown him Brodit mounts but he is worried that he might knock the Brodit Proclip from the centre console.

Has anybody used a bean bag mount for a SatNav (especially a TomTom 730T) Land Rover Freelander 2? If so, are they any good? Do you recommend a particular been bag?

Many thanks in advance,
Robert.

Edited by Privateer to add the "Model Year" of 2008 to the Land Rover Freelander 2.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a T720, I use the 'standard' been bag mount from Halfords - I think it might actually be badged as a TT one. Looks fairly big in size, has a black plastic type central bit for the suction cup, and then around the outside 3 sort of triangle shaped bags. It all lies flat, but the 3 triangle bag things are actually flexible where they attach to the central pad so there is quite a bit of flexibility for it to fit various dash boards.

i have a little Meriva and it fits snug in the little flat bit on the dash still allowing me to see the clock and radio channel etc.

Think it cost about £20.
Not had any probs with it, I have seen smaller bean bags, but not used them.

Bob
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply Bob.

The bean bag solution does seem to be ideal for my father's needs.

Has any body else had any experience of using a bean bag for a SatNav, especially on a Land Rover Freelander 2 (MY 2008)?

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used one on a Freelander but I used to use one on another 4x4 and it was very good and certainly to be recommended. Only trouble was I'm not very good at keeping my car clean and after a layer of dust had built up on the dash board it is not very good at staying put. My fault entirely, nothing to do with the bean-bag mount. I bought mine online in the UK from somewhere with Blue in the title, (not much use that, I'm sorry) and it looks very similar to the Arkon mount (i.e. like a horseshoe).

I think Darren did a write up about 6-9 months ago about a new dash mount which was a flat piece of rubber/plastic that moulded itself to the dash contours but had a "tacky" back to prevent any possibility of sliding around.

In summary, if my car was cleaner, I'd go back to using a beanbag mount.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Arkon horseshoe shape one for use in my Kangoo van, because I have never been too successful with stick-on disks - they unstick too easily - orange peel type dashboard surface!

I didn't think it'd work, because I haven't a single uncurved non-sloping space anywhere on top of the dashboard. I just dropped it on top and slightly behind the cowling over my instruments and it stays there. Sometimes I wonder if it has moved a fraction, so I fiddle with it (maybe once a month and I'm probably being paranoid), but it has never been a problem at all. They provide in the package a small sort of coat hook thingy with sticky backing, to stick on the dashboard and hook into a loop on the beanbag to hold it in place, but I never got round to doing it. They even include an alcohol pad to wipe the dash before sticking the hook on.

I use it for my Magellan/Mio GPS powered iPhone mount and it has been totally reliable - I'm tapping often enough to disturb it if it was moveable. And the suction mount has never fallen off. It doesn't look secure, but it really is and the flat sucker surface is better then the suction mount sticky disks.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
nbg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dennis, have used the Arkon for a couple of years now, hasn't moved an inch, despite the dodgy cornering and bumps I've thrown at it!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I bought mine online in the UK from somewhere with Blue in the title, (not much use that, I'm sorry) and it looks very similar to the Arkon mount (i.e. like a horseshoe).

Blue Unplugged?

I'm a fan of Buybits.com - good selection there. My only recent gripe is that the last donut shaped one I had from them did not have the usual glossy mounting plate in the middle - it was more of a matte finish and the grip did not last as long - still good for 36 hours though.

I've had BB mounts in my last 3 cars and none has moved once, though I'm no rally driver. I once had a long discussion elsewhere with an American member and we agreed that the Gilsson mount was the most adhesive and flexible we had tried, though a bit higher than the Arkon and donut types. Generally if your dash has a flat area to mount the satnav then a donut is OK, if it is more undulating the Gilsson adapts to curves more easily.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Unplugged, Yes.

Many thanks Guivre46.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to everybody for their replies.

Whilst my father's Freelander 2 has a built-in SatNav, he has never used it much as he has not found it easy to use. I'm hoping that my father will find the TomTom 730T much easier to use, especially as he can use POIs and the PGPSW speed camera database on it.

Once my father has used the TomTom 730T for a while and is happy with it I will suggest that he tries a bean bag mount.

I'll then report back to say how useful my father finds a bean bag mount is.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Blueunplugged and it was much cheaper than from most other suppliers. There used to be a discount code that PGPSW members could use (GPS5??) but last time I tried it it didn't work.

But it was a brilliant company to deal with.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: