Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 13XX and 14XX series Firmware 5.80 released 6th Jan
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 13XX and 14XX series Firmware 5.80 released 6th Jan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 13XX and 14XX series Firmware 5.80 released 6th Jan Reply with quote

Garmin have released 5.80 to replace 5.70 which was issued in early November 2011.

Changes from version 5.70 to version 5.80:
Updated to comply with France Safety Camera decree.
Fixed an error that caused a restart message to frequently appear on nuvi 1300 and 1400 series devices.
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 13XX and 14XX series Firmware 5.80 released 6th Jan Reply with quote

Thanks for the news - what exactly changes on the screen to reflect "updated to comply with France Safety Camera decree" please?

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think anything will change on the screen, it simply won't show or alert you to speed cameras in France anymore Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even our own 'home brew' one's ?

If not then they have disabled all advance POI warnings ?

I don't go over there anyway.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, should have been clearer, I meant the Garmin ones. Garmin have now released a 'Dangerous zones' warning product for use in France, which is apparently allowable ... some of these zones will have cameras, others won't Rolling Eyes
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Garmin 5.80 update Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Apologies, should have been clearer, I meant the Garmin ones. Garmin have now released a 'Dangerous zones' warning product for use in France, which is apparently allowable ... some of these zones will have cameras, others won't Rolling Eyes

Hi Sussamb - the piece about "Dangerous Zones" is what I would expect, but how do you define a "warning product", is this fitted as standard in an update, or a separate download purchase? - a quick check shows that Viamichelin.com is still displaying the camera’s, even if not stating that they are cameras but referring to them as “Dangerous Areas”!

It shows a radars symbol then "N12 Dangerous area (90 km/h), near Saint-Brieuc", for example.

So I would still expect some sort of advance notice on the 1440T. Will have to wait until BAVC10 advises what the changes are. Plus Viamichelin still show radars all over Europe, if you click on the Radars Europe symbol.

Unlike Kremmen I do go to France, so it affects me!!

cheers

Allan
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle to understand how the manufacturers will get away with just renaming their camera batabase as a dangerous area database. If they include all the fremch dangerous areas, from where do they get the data and can PGPSW get the same data for inclusion in our database?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on the Garmin chages is that it's more than simply renaming the camera sites, as that would still be illegal. They are though it seems allowed to warn of 'all' danger zones, see here from Garmins page:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=287&pID=68100

and this quote:

Danger zone updates will link your device to the Cyclops traffic safety database, which is updated daily with information about known accident black spots. As you approach one of these hazardous areas, your navigator sounds an alert to warn you. The Cyclops driver safety system is powered by smart GPS software, which recognizes the road and direction of travel to provide route-relevant alerts.
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sussamb

Seems like a bit of a con to me - first they remove the warnings from the already supplied mapping system, then for £13.99 they will sell you a one year subscription to give you the same warnings that you already had in your system before they "updated" it!! Mad

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they will argue they're simply complying with the law Wink

Course you don't HAVE to update from 5.70 to 5.80 Smile then it's your problem.
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sussamb

I agree you don't have to update from 5.70 to 5.80 (and any others that come along), but they have cleverly mixed A) Updated to comply with France Safety Camera decree and B) Fixed an error that caused a restart message to frequently appear on nuvi 1300 and 1400 series devices.

So, to resolve B) you have to accept A) Mad

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, although I've never experienced B)

But anyway, would only have been a matter of time before you needed to upgrade, so I agree with you. I guess if you want to stay the right side of the law, no matter how ridiculous you feel it might be, you have to accept it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: