Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman M400 Freezes in Spain!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman M400 Freezes in Spain!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeannius
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Navman M400 Freezes in Spain! Reply with quote

I reported this problem to Mio Navman but didn't receive a satisfactory answer so thought I'd ask here

My recently purchased Mio Navman M400 freezes when I am near my holiday home in Spain. I've worked out that the problem occurs when within a few miles of the 0 degree line of longitude. I have 2011 maps and the latest software available through MioMore.

I don't know whether this problem only occurs with Spanish maps or whether it also occurs in France. I do know it is ok in the UK around the Greenwich Meridian.

I conclude therefore that the system works when the mapping is expressed in metres from a false origin, as in UK Ordnace Survey derived mapping, and doesn't work in Spain probably because the mapping data is in latitude and longitude and it can't deal with both negative (west ) longitude and positive (east) trying to be displayed at the same time.

Anyone else seen this problem with Navman or any other device?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Navman M400 Freezes in Spain! Reply with quote

Jeannius wrote:
I conclude therefore that the system works when the mapping is expressed in metres from a false origin, as in UK Ordnace Survey
'Normal' GPS satnav maps for the UK are not based on OSGB, but on WGS84 Latitude/Longitude, so unfortunately that's that idea out of the window Sad
Jeannius
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Navman M400 Freezes in Spain! Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Jeannius wrote:
I conclude therefore that the system works when the mapping is expressed in metres from a false origin, as in UK Ordnace Survey
'Normal' GPS satnav maps for the UK are not based on OSGB, but on WGS84 Latitude/Longitude, so unfortunately that's that idea out of the window Sad
Are you sure? I used to be the software development manager for a UK GIS company and the Ordnance Survey were big customers of ours. Ordnance Survey do use WGS84 as you say but they then reference that to a false origin off to the west of the Scillies. All locations are then described as metres east and north of the false origin so numbers are always positive.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 99.99% sure that Consumer satnavs do not use OSGB reference. There are 'speciallist' satnavs that do. Why would a satnav global system use OSGB in UK (and the other bits that OSGB covers)?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: