Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Next Garmin Advice - Replies appreciated thanks :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Garmin Advice - Replies appreciated thanks :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Next Garmin Advice - Replies appreciated thanks :) Reply with quote

Hey guys...

Not been on here in ages but thought I’d have a nosey as I am going to buy a new satnav to replace my current Garmin 250 that is getting more and more out of date in relation to mapping! Anyway, I have had my 250 for 3.5 years now and it’s been a great bit of kit for me, I travel around 25k miles per year and I wouldn’t be without it. I am after another Garmin unit as I really like these and I also have a custom car mount that I think only Garmin’s fit onto (The standard ball joint for the clip mount).

My requirements for a new unit are:

1. Latest mapping with European ability.
2. 4.3” screen size.
3. Speed camera database.
4. Lane assist and guidance.
5. Bluetooth for phone connectivity.
6. Traffic updates.

I have a budget of between £100 and £150 to spend, but can flex if it’s really worth it! I have done some searching and have narrowed it down to a Garmin 1390t, it seems to fit the bill and is priced within my budget, but I think that it may have been around for a while so wondering if a newer spec one would be better?

Any thoughts or recommendations on a replacement for the 250 are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1310 and a 1490. There are newer models out there but they are still very buggy, whereas the firmware on the 13xx and 14xx series is now extremely stable, go for the 1390, you won't be disappointed Smile
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I have a 1310 and a 1490. There are newer models out there but they are still very buggy, whereas the firmware on the 13xx and 14xx series is now extremely stable, go for the 1390, you won't be disappointed Smile

Thanks for that, I think I will yes and they are very similar to my 250 unit in terms of usability...

I had a quick look in my local Halfords at lunchtime and they didn't have the 1390, but they had a 2390 which looks very nice. Powered mount for better bluetooth sound (bigger speaker), it had 3d traffic which I am not fully sure how it works, but is a chergeable service so I don't want that. I do like the look of the 2390 though. Is this one a buggy version or are you talking about the 37 series units?

Lastly, can you change the 3d traffic to standard on Garmin units?

Cheers
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some extent all the newer ones have problems, it seems to take Garmin a while to iron out bugs Smile

Do you mean the 3D map view? In which case the answer is yes, I dislike the 3D view and always run mine in 2D Wink

Try here for others selling the 1390T:

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/nuvi-1300-traffic.htm
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
To some extent all the newer ones have problems, it seems to take Garmin a while to iron out bugs Smile

Do you mean the 3D map view? In which case the answer is yes, I dislike the 3D view and always run mine in 2D Wink

What I mean on the traffic service, is can you downgrade to the standard service which I bvelieve is free, as the 3d traffic I think is chargeable per year?

I'm leaning towards the 1390t now to be honest, however if I can find a similar one with a powered mount that would be ideal!

Thanks. Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no 'downgrading' to be done ... it comes with the free service Smile
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
There's no 'downgrading' to be done ... it comes with the free service Smile

Oh ok, so the free standard service is there whatever, and the 3d chergeable traffic is there if you want to pay for it? Is my understanding correct? Just checking cos I'm a cheapskate and don't want to be lumbered with paying yearly for this Laughing
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of 3D chargeable traffic ... but your nuvi comes with free traffic, nothing to pay for Smile
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2300 series have a subscription traffic service and are NOT compatible with the free FM RDS traffic service. Satnav-discounts site tells you that in their Q&A's:

Q: What is Garmin nuLink?
A: Garmin nuLink is live, location-based travel information includes instant traffic updates, fuel prices and Google™ Local search for 15 countries. 12 months of the nuLink service is included free with nuLink models, then it costs around £45 a year to keep it going. All functions of your satnav other than the live services will continue to work even if you choose not to renew the subscription. Information on nuLink can be found on the Garmin site here.
Q: Which Garmin Nuvi models come with traffic updates?
A: Any model number which ends with T, (e.g. the 1210T, the 1390T) comes with RDS (radio frequency) traffic updates. More recently, this service has been called LT (Lifetime Traffic updates). The 1690, 1695 and the new nuLink 2300 series come with nuLink, a premium traffic service.

Halfords have the 1490T at the moment for £160 with lifetime maps and that would be my purchase of choice.
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
The 2300 series have a subscription traffic service and are NOT compatible with the free FM RDS traffic service. Satnav-discounts site tells you that in their Q&A's:

Q: What is Garmin nuLink?
A: Garmin nuLink is live, location-based travel information includes instant traffic updates, fuel prices and Google™ Local search for 15 countries. 12 months of the nuLink service is included free with nuLink models, then it costs around £45 a year to keep it going. All functions of your satnav other than the live services will continue to work even if you choose not to renew the subscription. Information on nuLink can be found on the Garmin site here.
Q: Which Garmin Nuvi models come with traffic updates?
A: Any model number which ends with T, (e.g. the 1210T, the 1390T) comes with RDS (radio frequency) traffic updates. More recently, this service has been called LT (Lifetime Traffic updates). The 1690, 1695 and the new nuLink 2300 series come with nuLink, a premium traffic service.

Halfords have the 1490T at the moment for £160 with lifetime maps and that would be my purchase of choice.

Thanks for the info, that makes it clear now. Yes I saw the 1490t in Halfords and that would for sure be my choice, but it's a 5" unit and I would prefer a 4.3" as in 5" form it looks a tad big! I think my choice is going to be the 1390t unless I can find oue with lifetime map updates like the 1490!!

Question - Is the 1390 the same as the 1490 but just smaller, or is there more difference?

Last question Smile - what value would you put on lifetime mapping updates? Is it worth a £50 premium over a standard unit? Or would that £50 be best saved and put towards a new unit next time?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the only difference between the 13xx and 14xx series is screen size.

Only you can answer the lifetime traffic question. IMO it's not worth it, I've never bothered to update any map on any satnav and I can only recall 2 occasions when a map error caused me a problem, far better than any paper map I used Twisted Evil
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I can confirm that the only difference between the 13xx and 14xx series is screen size.

Only you can answer the lifetime traffic question. IMO it's not worth it, I've never bothered to update any map on any satnav and I can only recall 2 occasions when a map error caused me a problem, far better than any paper map I used Twisted Evil

Perfect thank you for your input and detail on the 13 v's 14 series. My thinking was along your lines as well to be honest. You have just hjelped me confirm what I'm getting (1390t without the map updates) Smile

Thanks everyone Very Happy
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok chaps, the 1390t is on order, I'll let you know how I get on with it. Managed to get it from Amazon for £99.99 if anyone is interested, this seems like a good buy...
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Not True! 1490 holds 10 routes and will auto sort multiple waypoints for most effective routing. So if you find that the suggested route takes you a weird way you can stick in an intermediate point on the 1490 and it will reroute via that. I am not sure how you handle that on the 1390.
The Garmin website has a compare tool and you can in seconds see the differences between models. Researching what those differences means can take a little longer (like the difference between Nu-link traffic and FM traffic)

Hope you are happy with the 1390.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, apologies, that's such an obvious difference I assumed the OP knew that as he didn't list ability to store routes in his initial post Embarassed

It can actually handle more than 10, as you can load as many routes as you wish using your PC and import them when required, only 10 can be used at any one time.

On the 1390 you can only insert one via point, and there is no way of saving any route for future use.

Thanks inspiredron for pointing that out Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: