Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom LIVE Services Grow in 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom LIVE Services Grow in 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there is very little difference to the mapping of Navteq or TomTom, except perhaps that in the UK Navteq have better (more) lane guidance

HQ Routing and HD Traffic on the TomTom is superior to anything Navteq can currently offer, without question

I feel TT will get back to customer focus this coming year - it has been a difficult few years for the industry (coming from a boom market which has been highly profitable to the real world means changing the business dramatically, and I feel TT are now nearly there to get back on track to where I hope we would all like them to be in relation to product and customer service)

Time will tell, but lets see some new software from everyone, and some faster hardware too
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Well try another one of your many, many, many, many, many devices you keep telling us all about

spook51 wrote:
Or one of the many, many, many, many, many other threads in which you write about it.

Well, gentlemen, those two posts read to me as some sort of unspecified criticism of me.

Maybe a suggestion that I should keep quiet about having experienced several TT models - that such experience is irrelevant in a forum discussing satnavs? Allow me to disagree - I hold the view that it's better hear about how much model useage a commentator has behind him/her so that the reader can reach some sort of conclusion as to the value of the commentary.

Maybe a suggestion that I overdo my criticism of HD Traffic? In order to assist any reader who may wonder about it, here are the results of a Search for "HD Traffic" authored by me. Items 2 and 3 are indeed (although I haven't re-read them to prove it) places where I have expressed dissatisfaction with the current service performance, but I do think they really are just one thread split into two. The rest include some in which only "Traffic" is a search result, some appear to be favourable to HD Traffic and some appear to be neutral.

1. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=89118&highlight=hd+traffic

2. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=88681&highlight=hd+traffic

3. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87608&highlight=hd+traffic

4. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=86811&highlight=hd+traffic

5. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=86142&highlight=hd+traffic

6. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83982&highlight=hd+traffic

7. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=82746&highlight=hd+traffic

8. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83324&highlight=hd+traffic

9. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=82899&highlight=hd+traffic

10. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80923&highlight=hd+traffic

11. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80352&highlight=hd+traffic

12. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74259&highlight=hd+traffic

13. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=75778&highlight=hd+traffic

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a paying service it should be fit for purpose thats why people like me will tell it like it is. A year ago I could work with the infomation that it gave now I have to guess which route will or will not have traffic well in advance to avoid the known hot spots. Just make the current system free and then have a premier service at a higher charge for those who want full coverage that works.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can anything truly be fit for purpose, when the purpose can vary depending on the understand of the purpose by the buyer?

Products are often oversold. Just like we all often over-sell ourselves. As long as the claims are reasonable, not wild, then that is acceptable

I find HD Traffic perfectly fit for my purposes - daily use of multi-trips 5 days plus a week, 50 plus weeks of the year

So in that case a product you claim as not fit for purpose is also fully fit for purpose

Now for a bit of good will to all - TT included maybe?

Merry Christmas
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
I have however more recently found more and more of what can only be described as ghosts delays. HD Traffic reporting delays and then I've seen nothing but clear roads ahead.
:

I think I might be right in saying these crop up all the time at busy periods where there is congestion every day ,so they are there automatically regardless of traffic flow ,often during school holidays you see these at school hours but as there is no school it is clear but tt say it congested ....
That's my taking on those Smile
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was one of those 28%, but not any more.

Poor support, poor service and just plain old rubbish for LIVE services compared to what it was just over a year ago.

And now a 40 mile 'horizon' coded in to Nav10 - it just gets worse.

RDS-TMC is free, and in my opinion is now better than HD Traffic as it actually works, unlike HD Traffic most of the time. It has it's limitations, but doesn't cost anything for the privilege.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Personally I don't see much difference between Navteq and TomTom map data.

I am now running a device with Navteq maps and they are miles ahead of TeleAtlas on TT around where I live. Changes that were made over 3 years ago are still not in the latest TT maps, but have been in the last 2 Navteq releases.

I can't speak for all of the country, but I am happier with Navteq maps.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strewth, Andy, I'm glad I don't work for TomTom - those sort of revelations make poor forecast for jobs at TT.

Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
How can anything truly be fit for purpose, when the purpose can vary depending on the understand of the purpose by the buyer?

Products are often oversold. Just like we all often over-sell ourselves. As long as the claims are reasonable, not wild, then that is acceptable

I find HD Traffic perfectly fit for my purposes - daily use of multi-trips 5 days plus a week, 50 plus weeks of the year

So in that case a product you claim as not fit for purpose is also fully fit for purpose

Now for a bit of good will to all - TT included maybe?

Merry Christmas

It was fit for purpose then they changed it so it no longer is the case. I drive 2000 to 3000 miles a week and would like it back as it was, It's not much to ask as a paying customer.
You may like it and you can live with it but I won't be renewing. Simple really.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered why i pay little attention to what goes on on this site anymore.
Here is the reason, what was a good informative site, and for the most part, still is, it has also become a graveyard for the whinegers and moaners going over the same old....same old.
As 2216 rightly says "simple really"
if you dont like TomTom traffic then go and buy another satnav....jeez there's enough out there.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
if you dont like TomTom traffic then go and buy another satnav....jeez there's enough out there.
Sounds like there must be loads. Do you want to list all the ones that are better than TT in the UK?
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
I wondered why i pay little attention to what goes on on this site anymore.
Here is the reason, what was a good informative site, and for the most part, still is, it has also become a graveyard for the whinegers and moaners going over the same old....same old.
As 2216 rightly says "simple really"

It may be good enough for you to pop round the corner but I rely on the traffic that was very good but isn't any longer. If you don't like reading about it don't read it. Simple.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
it has also become a graveyard for the whinegers and moaners going over the same old....same old.

So, the place is full of whingers and moaners. You need to be a lot more accurate than just dropping in generalisations like that. Give us a few links to prove your point.

Clearly, you consider whingeing about HD Traffic to be the stuff of graveyards. Well, as 2216 says simply "If you don't like reading about it, don't read it". And it is very simple too - you simply need to avoid reading the two threads which bear the following titles...
Quote:
HD Traffic range reduced AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
I mean, if you care to avoid moans, you shouldn't need the services of a brain surgeon to tell you to avoid reading threads which are pretty obviously moaning ones.

This thread is about the growth of LIVE Services. It was naturally to be expected, and was demonstrated by the first four responses, that discussion of the value of the services might feature in the thread - or did you expect only a litany of congratulations for TomTom's progress? A mere four posts and you should have set your whinger alarm braying frantically and gone to read stuff elsewhere.

I notice you have not responded to M8TJT's challenge to list for us all the other devices you told us to seek out. It seems to me you might better employ your keyboard by following that challenge and/or starting a lovely thread of your own wherein you can extoll the positive virtues of something or other, rather than coming in to tell us we don't have a right to moan about our own concerns.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, it is Christmas! A little bit of Christmas Cheer and Goodwill to all men would not go amiss.

People have lots of different opinions about all sorts of thing. Let us air our differences with respect to each other please.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I agree there is very little difference to the mapping of Navteq or TomTom, except perhaps that in the UK Navteq have better (more) lane guidance

That might not be down to the maps....

If you run an older NAV2 model such as the Go940 and a new NAV3 model like your Go1000 side by side, you'll find quite a lot more lane guidance and reality view images shown on the OLD model.

For example I was travelling along the M3/A3/M25/M4 yesterday and whenever there was a lane split and we were meant to go straight on, the Go940 told us about it, but the GO1000 didn't bother.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: