Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to access POI in Tom Tom XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to access POI in Tom Tom XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Unable to access POI in Tom Tom XL Reply with quote

I have a Tom Tom XL (about 4 years old) and have downloaded the appropriate camera database (OV2). However, I am unable to find the POIs listed under the list of POI categories.

I have read the advice given on the FAQs and spent many hours trying various solutions but to no avail. According to the list of files that are stored within the Tom Tom, the data is there but I am unable to access it. I am using Windows 7 with IE9 and have downloaded the latest updates to the Tom Tom's software.

I would be grateful if you could explain where I am going wrong.

Monkey 54
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing obvious stands out from what you've said so far...
Let's try a few basics.

1. Which version did you download, 'consolidated by type' or 'Speed-zoned'? (This shouldn't make any difference to whether it works or not, it just means we can talk about the correct file names you should have)
2. Have you UNZIPPED the download package into it's constituent files? You should have ended up with a whole bunch of .ov2 files, .bmp files and (optionally) .ogg voice files.
3. Have you put them all in the correct map folder?
Some people have accidentally put them in the "poi" folder or a folder called "map". They need to go in the NAMED folder for the map you are currently using, called "Western Europe" or "Great Britain" or whatever your's might be.
4. Do you only have ONE map on the device (check in the "Switch map" menu).

Following on from #2 and 3 - can you tell us the exact filenames of a couple of the camera files you can see if you look in the correct map folder using Windows Explorer? They should all start with "PocketGPSWorld...." and end with a dot and three letters
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of what Andy said, plus ...

5. If the files are in the correct Folder, how many .OV2 Files do you have? There is an upper limit of, approximately, either 160 or 260. I can't remember which.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking, that man...

The limit used to be 169 categories on the machine at once, then it went up to 250 on any recent software - ever since v7.9 or v8 IIRC.

So I think it will be it will be 250 max. on an XL.

However, if you still have TomTom's own Speed cameras on the device, that takes up 17 of the available number, and the Fuel prices/fuel stations service may take up one more, possibly leaving a total of 232 spaces available for your own POI categories.
monkey54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am afraid my computer skills are somewhat limited and I do not understand many of the points/questions raised. However, I will endeavour to answer the questions to the best of my ability.

The version I downloaded was "consolidated by type". I do not know what unzipping a file means but I can tell you what appears under Windows Explorer on my computer; I have a file entitled pgpsw-speed-camsIP2fc. If I click on this it shows 19 separate items with names such as pocketgps_uk_gatso. The type is given as OV2 File and capacity as 55KB. The name does not include .ov2 but if I right click and select Properties, it is then shown as pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2 or ...gatso_X2.bmp etc. It is these files that I believe I have transferred to the Tom Tom.

I am afraid I do not understand the question at paragraph 3 at all. I am using the Western Europe map (one only) but am not aware of being able to select to where the files are placed. I simply extracted the files from my computer to the Tom Tom (shown as H Drive) but was not given any choice about where they should go - the computer and Tom Tom seemed to do this automatically.

I hope this gives you sufficient information to point me in the right direction but as you can tell, I need to have things explained in simple terms.

Monkey 54
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I think I can see where you're going wrong....

The file you download (you said yours was called "pgpsw-speed-camsIP2fc") is an ARCHIVE, i.e. lots of files bundled together. It looks like you have copied that straight onto the TomTom and that's wrong.

Windows has SHOWN you what is inside the archive, but you need to actually get those files out and then copy all the individual files to the TomTom. That's what we mean by 'unzipping'.
Also you do need to work out how to place those files into the right place on the TomTom (the map folder). Just putting them on the drive anywhere won't work.

Rather than me going through all the steps in slightly different words, can I point you back to the instructions we wrote here?
They should take you through every step of the process. Follow them very carefully because if you miss out a step nothing will work.
(There's also a video showing how it is done here but that shows the extra steps for models with text to speech, so it may be a bit confusing).

Let us know if there's anything you don't understand in those instructions and we'll work out a better way to explain it.

Let us know how you get on. Smile
monkey54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I now understand where I was going wrong. Your assumption that I had copied the Archive File directly onto the Tom Tom was correct.

My computer differs slightly from the instructions, probably because I am using Windows 7 and the instructions are based on an earlier version. In particular, at instruction 4 it was not possible nor necesary to unzip the files; when selecting Extract Files, I was presented with a box asking me to select the destination of the file to be copied. In my first attempt I simply selected the H Drive (Tom Tom) without expanding it and selecting the specific file entitled Europe West. Having done this, the POI categories now appear on the Tom Tom.

One other difference is that the instructions state the following actions must be done on the GPS itself, as it is not possible to do them on the computer screen but I found that it was possible to set the warning distances etc. via the computer screen - I guess the GPS's software has since been updated.

Thanks again for the help. Monkey 54

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: