Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has TomTom Forgot About Scotland? (EDIT: & Wales?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has TomTom Forgot About Scotland? (EDIT: & Wales?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It's called 'devolution' my friend Shocked Sad That's the sort of thing that happens, as well as the Scots and the Welsh having a large say on how England is run Rolling Eyes

A multinational Satellite navigation company not providing services as advertised to a portion of a UNITED Kingdom (the issue of this topic) is as a result of potential political devolution? Really? Rolling Eyes

I understand with what your saying Matt, and thanks for posting a reply from your source.

Their website clearly states however;

"Get the most up-to-date traffic information available for your route, live on your TomTom LIVE device with TomTom High Definition Traffic.

You receive detailed incident reports about the length and reason of the delays, the most accurate delay information, travel- and arrival times, and alternative route proposals. All this information is sent directly to your TomTom navigation system."

If the Forth Road bridge is closed (as was the case when TomTom never reported it) it's a 40 mile/60min alternative route at best.

If the Tay Road bridge is closed (as was the case again with TomTom who never reported it) it's a 55 mile / 70min diversion at best.

Now I wouldn't say that not reporting the above two examples "up-to-date traffic information" nor do I call it "detailed incident reports" with "reasons of the delays".

The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 requires retailers, amongst other requirements, to ensure that products sold must be as described."As described" refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader, TomTom in this case.

It appears in this case that they do not source data from anything other than floating traffic data for Scotland & Wales. (Google Maps offers that for free) As none is evident these days.

They did offer this information not so long ago. Why have they stopped?
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But it does not appear to say that it covers the whole of the UK Rolling Eyes So why would you assume that it does?

Up until a few months ago, it appeared to cover Scotland with the detail that they currently advertise.
Their description of HD traffic does not match that of what the offer when driving in the north of the UK. Thats how I see it.

When you select the UK as your country from TomTom's default site, it states on TomTom's UK website that "HD Traffic" is available in that country. In this context, I consider Scotland to be part of that UK. Their pictures on their website of coverage includes the UK, not Just England.
So as far as I'm concerned this should include Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, and Wales as these countries make up the UK in the context we are talking about here. If it doesn't. Then they shouldn't include a picture of the UK or use the term 'UK' on their website when referencing HD traffic IMO.

Graeme2812 wrote:

They did offer this information not so long ago. Why have they stopped?

M8TJT wrote:
So that they would not be in breach of the Trade descriptions act Rolling Eyes

So surely if they have stopped, then they are NOW in breach of it as they no longer offer the service as they currently describe it? I appreciate they still offer a service, but it is not the same service as they currently advertise, is it?

M8TJT wrote:
How the heck has my reply to the next post got before it. Am I psychic? I have noticed that my crystal ball has been quite clear of late, but my Tardis is completely knackered

I have to say I have NO idea what on earth you are talking about in this last paragraph and find it a bit strage. Apologies if I have missed the joke. Embarassed
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
I have to say I have NO idea what on earth you are talking about in this last paragraph and find it a bit strage. Apologies if I have missed the joke. Embarassed
Then let me explain. On the rendering of the forum on my computers, my answer to your post was timed at 5:51 as the last post on page 2. Your post to which mine referred was posted at 5:58 as the first post on page 3. So either I needed a crystal ball to predict your post before you had posted it, or I needed a Tardis to nip into the future, read your post then skip back to now to answer it or I needed to be psychic. Smile But as I am not, or do not have the neccessary bits and bobe, I was wondering how this anomoly of space and time could have happened. Any ideas anyone?
As it happens, I am in full agreement with you that TT should not advertise (apparently) full UK cvover if they don't include the countries that you mention. DNFTT Twisted Evil
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I was wondering how this anomoly of space and time could have happened. Any ideas anyone?
First guess would be that someone's Timezone has not been set up correctly on the Users Profile Page. Shocked Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is set to GMT Very Happy (thank goodness)
Ok perhaps a clock is wrong, but why would the first post actually show after the second one (mine) in the forum?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 requires retailers, amongst other requirements, to ensure that products sold must be as described."As described" refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader, TomTom in this case.

The problem we have with this angle is that TomTom are not a UK company. I tried this with the Advertising Standards Authority, showing that they were making claims that were untrue, but the ASA said that as they are not a UK company, they can't do anything. Now, the ASA aren't the law, but how do you hit them? The solution I came up with was to complain about Halfords, Amazon, and anyone else who parrots the same text. But is that fair? In times of tough trading, I don't want to hurt a UK retailer when it isn't their fault.

It beggars belief to read the TomTom twitter feed though (one of which is TomTomUK!). They announced that they'd increased the traffic range, but omitted when it went down again. They announced that iPhone users of their app would get a free extension after a few days of outage, but omitted to compensate PND owners.

As I've said elsewhere, by far the best traffic info is available on the Google Maps app. Much more detailed than TT HD even if not quite so up to the minute. I think TomTom are digging their own future.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
but why would the first post actually show after the second one (mine) in the forum?
Had a look at the Post numbers, and they are indeed in the wrong order.

Your post, 572138, was in reply to 572137 (like wot u rote), but the forum 'engine' appears to have reversed the time-line. Shocked Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted both Traffic Scotland and Traffic Wales. I have yet to hear back form Traffic Scotland, but I did receive this reply from Traffic Wales.

(My Question, requested under the FOI...)

The information I request relates to:
Are Satellite navigation companies (TomTom in this case) who wish to use your data required to obtain permission prior to reproducing it on
their own websites and devices? Is there a cost associated with this?

Could you advise me if the Satellite Navigation Company TomTom (registered address- De Ruyterkade 154, 1011 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands) has purchased or obtained approval (if necessary) to use either part or all of the information that you provide as part of the http://www.traffic-wales.com/ services?

If they do request the use of this information, could you advise me to what extent and at which frequency this information is provided to them?

--------------------------------------
(Their reply....)

Good morning Mr ******,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Any organisation that uses the Welsh Government’s traffic data is required to obtain permission before doing so.
We do not currently supply traffic data to TomTom, though did run a short trial for 1 month during the summer with them for incident & roadworks data – which was refreshed every 10 minutes.

It is not currently Welsh Government policy to charge for such data.

I hope this helps, but if I can be of any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Very interesting reply. Exclamation
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a reply that not only does not completely dodge the issue, but is actually most informative Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so they offered TomTom free data, updated eery 10 minutes yet TomTom still don't use it... Confused

My tiny Northern mind boggles...

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if they used the extra data from Wales (& Scotland?) their servers would not be able to cope with the extra data and they would have to reduce the "horizon" of their Live Services!!!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been worth asking which routes the traffic data covers.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Interesting, so they offered TomTom free data, updated eery 10 minutes yet TomTom still don't use it... Confused
spook51 wrote:
But they they don't use it. Confused
Quote:
We do not currently supply traffic data to TomTom, though did run a short trial for 1 month during the summer with them for incident & roadworks data
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
spook51 wrote:
But they they don't use it. Confused
Quote:
We do not currently supply traffic data to TomTom, though did run a short trial for 1 month during the summer with them for incident & roadworks data

Perhaps it covered only a tiny percentage of the total highways network, motorways only for example - in Scotland congestion data covers only the Glasgow/Edinburgh area so such a scenario isn't impossible.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty ridiculous really, that Tomtom are turning down 'free' data that can only be of benefit to the driving community.

I would be very interested to see what TrafficScotland's response is. Even if it were to cost Tomtom a sum of money for their data, surely the better the quality of data for Scottish HD Traffic subscribers then the more likely they are to renew their LIVE subs?

Steven

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: