Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go Live 1005 in rebooting loop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go Live 1005 in rebooting loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Go Live 1005 in rebooting loop Reply with quote

I can't find this on the forum which surprises me, at least not recently but I apologise if I have missed it. Yesterday I set out for a long drive. I turned the unit on in it's dash board holder and waited. An hour later it was still turning itself on and off every two minutes. I noticed that it hadn't been able to connect to Live Services despite the connection page showing it was connected. Eventually, parked up, I put it in aircraft mode and it stopped rebooting but of course it was now useless (or just a useless) as a Sat Nav it was before. Eventually I gave up and resorted to a paper map.

Another forum suggested, inter alia, a factory reset which I could get to via the aircraft mode and everything is now back to working again - at least after I put back all my personal setting, turned on PGPS camera sounds one by one and reinstalled my Favourites. Three emails to Tomtom, and I have to say a much quicker response than usual confirmed they have been having major problems with Live Traffic for the last three weeks. Despite asking three times if it DEFINITELY was related to not connecting to Traffic which caused the loop, I got no response but they did offer to turn the Live services off - great selling point for a Go Live 1005 that, until a fix had been found. They said they would compensate for my lost time. Short of saying that not using it at all was a work around I wonder what else could have been suggested. You can't turn off live services yourself apparently, it has to be them.

I suppose this is as a result of the ongoing "traffic data/Vodafone" we can't afford a bigger whatever situation.

So - my favourites are back as POIs, I have my iPhone PGPS camera alerts standing by and new map book to use just in case. If anyone knows of a quicker and easier solution can they let me know please? Trouble is I like the unit when it is working.
fzrman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: sim card Reply with quote

you can disable live i had this problem with my go1000 under one of stickers on bottem is a sim card slot i took sim out all worked ok then
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one actually wonders why you are paying for this live feature that doesn't work and actually stops the basic navigation function from working Shocked
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting.

My 750 live has rebooted twice in the last couple of days, whilst navigating quite normally. Never done it in the months I've owned it. I went looking for a menu option to turn the Live feature off, but couldn't find one....I shall go looking under the unit for a sim card...
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To M8TJT, good question. I was hoping to buy a unit that worked the way it was supposed to. That's becoming increasing difficult with Tomtom but it's great when it does. It's more than a pain when you are on the road when it can't even function as Sat Nav. Disabling Traffic, one way or another, makes it work as a Sat Nav again. I hope TT get it sorted quickly. They have been having big problems with Live Traffic for much longer than the three weeks they told me.

to fzrman, thanks for that info. I wonder why Tomtom couldn't have told me that. I'll try when it happens next time as I have a horrible feeling it will. Hope it doesn't void the guarantee.

to uk89camaro, occasional rebootings have been mentioned before and I don't know if that has anything to do with Live Traffic but I strongly suspect it does. My problem, reported by others on a different forum was that it just went into a loop of shutting down and restarting every two minutes until I turned it off an hour later. Putting it into aircraft mode stopped that which makes it look like a live traffic server problem.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk89camaro wrote:

My 750 live has rebooted twice in the last couple of days, whilst navigating quite normally. Never done it in the months I've owned it. I went looking for a menu option to turn the Live feature off, but couldn't find one....I shall go looking under the unit for a sim card...

But you are in a much simpler position... With a Go950 there are all sorts of things you can do yourself to fix problems like this (search the TT forum section for reinstalling software, the Clearflash, resetting and restoring factory settings..

The OP in this topic has one of the new models where he cannot access the file system.

(BTW, your SIM card is VERY deeply buried in the slot).
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
uk89camaro wrote:

But you are in a much simpler position... With a Go950 there are all sorts of things you can do yourself to fix problems like this (search the TT forum section for reinstalling software, the Clearflash, resetting and restoring factory settings..

The OP in this topic has one of the new models where he cannot access the file system.

(BTW, your SIM card is VERY deeply buried in the slot).

Ahh gotcha. Apologies to OP for straying OT a little.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs.

And thanks for the warning Andy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: