Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update maps on friend's nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update maps on friend's nuvi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Update maps on friend's nuvi Reply with quote

I want to do the one time update on a friend's new nuvi without re-downloading the latest maps which are already on my PC.
How do I circumvent Garmin's update procedures?
I have Mapsource, Mapinstall and Basecamp.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Update maps on friend's nuvi Reply with quote

The normal process downloads GarminMapUpdater_vx.x.x.exe which reads the (.gma?) file that has been deposited on the Nüvi. This contains the unique Product Key, which in conjunction with my.garmin.com determines what maps (and add-ons like Junction View) you are entitled to. You'll have to at least start the process (and possibly the download itself), to get this code generated. Once it's underway, you can see the Product Code and the 25digit unlock code on the my.garmin.com site.

If your friends Nüvi has the same maps as yours, you could copy the GMAPPROM.IMG file (and associated Junction Views, 3D buildings etc) and manually generate a GMAPPROM.UNL file. If not, you could use Mapsource/Mapinstall to build a custom file; though I don't think this handles Junction View etc. In this case, you may have to re-name the file from GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPPROM.IMG

By far the easiest way, is to just run through Garmin's procedures. (Though if you're on the end of a 1Mbps ADSL line, you have my sympathies...) I'd make sure you have a backup of the current maps and 25 digit unlock code before you attempt this Confused

»
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil
That does seem absolutely absurd that one has to download (2Mb line with 10GB pm peak time limit) the whole lot again. I thought that part of the idea of saving to the PC is to avoid repeat downloads.
Sadly the option of copying the files over is not available since my Garmin (660) does not have junction view or lane assist - that probably means that I don't have the required files on my PC anyway (though I wouldn't necessarily guarantee that Garmin don't make me download them anyway - the 2012.30 directory on my PC is 2.82GB of which 2.06Gb is in Product1 and 724MB in the _mdr directory!).
Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: