Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sgic for Acer Iconica A500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sgic for Acer Iconica A500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb7ypf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Sgic for Acer Iconica A500 Reply with quote

HI Guys-

I tried the free version of Sygic 11.x.x for 7 days and liked it. When i first download and installed Sygic I only installed one US State map as this was just my trial test and did not need all 50 states.

I liked the program and it worked great on the A500, I purchased it and entered the Activation Code.

Now here is the problem: I don't seem to have a way to add more States as the Sygic Downloader did not install. I can't find it anywhere in the Aura directory or sub-directories.

So my question is: How do I add new state maps?

Thanks for you help.

Dick
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is on an Android device? If so when you downloaded Sygic 2 apps were installed, Sygic itself and Sygic downloader. Go into your list of apps and find the downloader app. Run that and it should list all of the maps of the world. IIRC you can download any you want but you will only be able to use those that the licence you bought covers.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
kb7ypf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter-

Thanks for your reply.

I looked through "all" my installed apps and the only Sygic app I find is the main program app.

Located on the /mnt/sdcard is a directory called "Aura" and in the mail directory under Aura are two files: (1) base-is-ok (2) database.

I did discover that is you delete the "base-is-ok" file and then restart Sygic it will start in the Sygic Downloader. This is a work around, but I would rather have the App Icon.

Thanks again, and if you have any more suggestions I am totally open to check it out.

Dick
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has just been an update. You could try re-installing using that. But you must have had Sygic Downloader anyway because you would not have been able to get the map you have without it.

I think the downloader app is part of the Sygic files - I can't find it in menu/settings/applications/manage applications. But on my HTC Sensation it is in menu/all apps. But I am using HTC's Sense GUI, so may be different for you.

Suggest you look at support pages at Sygic's website. One of the threads there suggests deleting the application and reinstalling if you do not have downloader. Or you could start a new thread with this problem.

Sorry I could not sort it for you.
Copilot for USA
kb7ypf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Problem Solved Reply with quote

Peter-

To end the pain, I just reinstalled as you suggested, and bingo.....there is a Sygic Downloader Icon now sitting on my A500 Tablet.

I did post an assist message on the Sygic Forum and it has been over 26 hours and they have not acknowledged or responded.

Again, thanks for your suggestion as it solved my problem. I was reluctant to remove and reinstall because of all the maps I had to re-download.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you sorted it out. Don't forget Sygic are based in Europe (Czech Republic I think) so they will have finished for the weekend about 26 hours ago. Probably get your answer Monday.

I haver been using Sygic for a couple of years now, and have found them very good. So far I have had 2 free upgrades (from MM9 to MM10 and then to Sygic GPS) and each time I got free latest maps as well. Very good when compared with the likes of Tom Tom.
Copilot for USA
kb7ypf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you say about TomTom. I had one for several year and missed one Map Update. Sometime later I tried to update and TomTom wanted almost $70.00 for maps. $40.00 for the base map and $36 for quarterly udates.

The problem aside cost was TomTom would not sell the Update alone as I was told this was a package deal.

Needless to say, I sold my TomTom, and the money i saved on their great map deal, I purchased a Magellan with Life Maps and Traffic. Go figure.

Anyway, Sygic, on the Acer A500 tablet is Awesome. Glad I purchased and it only cost $16.01 after the Eu exchange rate. That is a few $$$ cheaper than CoPilot.

Any all is well in the Wild Wild West. Very Happy
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I would have bought Sygic for the USA if it had been at that price. When I was looking for maps for USA for visits I make Sygic was £50 and Copilot £20. For the amount I would use it Copilot was a no-brainer.

How did you get it so cheap though. On the European website it is showing as at Eu15.99. At the exchange rate I have seen that is about $21 isn't it?
Copilot for USA
kb7ypf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterc10-

Go to this URL: http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

Look for the "USA" Map. Right not it is 15.99 EU dollars.

Expect to pay something around $17.50 or so after the conversion rate.

I used it last night and ti worked perfect and the 3D effect is awesome.

Hope this helps out.

Chow,
kb7ypf
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the price I quoted. But with the exchange rate for the Euro at $1.37 (and that is on XE so you will not get such a good rate) you will not get much change out of $22.
Copilot for USA
kb7ypf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterc10-

I think if you look at the Sygic page agian for Android, it will show 11.99 EU. That is the price I paid plus the conversion rate. I forgot to mention that in my previous email.

Still at $22, that is not a bad buy. I understand that CoPilot is down to something like @20. now. So it a choice of what you like after you try them. As I recall CoPilot did not have a trial period.....memory may be flawed here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: