Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Download map segments? (Maps of Western Europe for TTG)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Download map segments? (Maps of Western Europe for TTG)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Download map segments? (Maps of Western Europe for TTG) Reply with quote

I've bought "Maps of Western Europe" for TomTom Go, but since the TTG has problems with several brands of SD Cards I thought instead of forking out more money on another SD card I should rather wait for an TTG update or reduced SD card prices, whatever comes first... Wink

But I still has an option, according to the specification to "Maps of Western Europe" I can download segments of maps:

"Maps for a country/region can be downloaded in full or in 64 MB segments."

But I can not find any information, either on TT's website or the included material, on how to actually download segments.

Anybody, who has a clue?

Best regards
Cherz
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they mean is that on the CDs you have different map cuts.

- MRE
- Whole countries or country combinations
- 64 MB chunks
- 32 MB chunks
- 16 MB chunks

When they say "download" they mean "install from CD onto storage card"

You cannot cut the MRE into smaller parts.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map of Germany is for instance 233 MB, but there are no options in the setup for "setup" smaller segments...

I do not understand it since TomTom, as I wrote above, states "Maps for a country/region can be downloaded in full or in 64 MB segments".

I do hope they consider Germany a country... Wink

Cherz
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they don't. The have a so called D-A-CH map which comprises all of Germany, Austria and Switzerland together. At least that's the case for the PPC TomTom. I hope they haven't changed that for the GO...

How many CDs did you get?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 4 cd's in a nice DVD looking box, which has the following printed: "Maps for a country/region can be downloaded in full or in 65 MB segments."

Well, I've asked TomTom support, but that's useless. Here's my question:

Quote:
I've bought the TomTom GO Maps of Western Europe. Since TomTom GO won't work with my new SD Card, I hopy you can help explaining me how to download segments of maps?

According to the specification to "Maps of Western Europe":

"Maps for a country/region can be downloaded in full or in 65 MB segments."

But I can not find any information, either on your website or the included material, on how to actually download segments.

And here's the answer I got from TomTom support:

Quote:
You must load the maps in this way and this also assumes you have the TOmTom GO maps of western europe (4 CD set). When you plug the TomTom GO to your PC the TomTom GO is recognised as an external drive. Put in a brand new SD card. Right click on this drive and then choose format and format the SD card. The put your original TomTom GO cd in the cd-rom drive of your computer and load the TomTom GO application to the card. Then remove the CD when you are finished and insert a CD from the western europe package for TomTom Go and choose the map you wish and load the map. After loading this map unplug the TomTom GO from your computer and see if the software works. You may have to activate the maps. If using the western europe maps for TomTom GO you will need to activate the maps if you are prompted to do so.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Geee...that's helpful.... They are not even reading the incoming questions, or I'm mistaken? I thought I asked for how to install segments... TomTom GO is a great product with some minor glitches, but TomTom incredible irritating support (or rather lack of support).

Cherz

[/quote]
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Support wrote:
Then remove the CD when you are finished and insert a CD from the western europe package for TomTom Go and choose the map you wish and load the map

This is your answer. Have you actually done this step? Does it not give you a choice of country maps or smaller segment maps?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
This is your answer. Have you actually done this step? Does it not give you a choice of country maps or smaller segment maps?

Lutz, this is not the answer to my question - maybe I phrased it badly since you also misunderstood it.

What they are basically saying in the answer is "Insert CD and load map", not a very great answer do you think? Do they really think it I put the CD in left ear and the SD card in the right ear? This looks like a real ctrl-c - ctrl-v answer, which works fine most of the time as long as they are reading the questions properly.

What I find disturbing is that I asked TomTom support specific about loading segments, they do not even mention segments in their answers...

The German map is about 233 MB and I'm not offered any options to load segments of the german map - if I had this option available this thread would not exist... Wink

According to an advertise:

Quote:
Using the most recent and detailed Tele Atlas maps, allowing for door-to-door navigation throughout Western Europe. You can download a map segment of 64 MB, the map of a country or the map of a region (seven regions are available) on your TomTom GO.

I'm like to think that I've above average computer know-ho, but I've so far failed completely to find any information on how to actually load segments of a map.

I'm travelling to German and Danmark in 14 days and since I bought a wrong SD card I thought I could manage to only load the necessary segments on the included card - but, it seems like it won't work. I guess you might call this an example of misleading product information?

Anyway, thanks for the input!

Cherz
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherz,

I havent had experience of the TT Go retail version of the Western Europe maps, but certainly have used a 64k map segment.

The next prose is based on the way it works with other TT Navigator products.

Normally when you are running through the options for installing maps the installer asks you what you want to install. You select a country, then you are given the options of selecting the whole country or a 64k or 32k map segment. Following the process through you can store the map on the GO or an external card reader, or a directory on your hard disk. You can store a number of maps on the card up to the storage limit of the card.

If you are using a new SD card then you will need to copy the TT Go application over to the SD card using the TT GO install CD.

When you use the map segments you can only navigate to a location within the segment. You will need to switch maps when you move between segments.
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for you input, but has I've written above I have not been offered any option to download segments of Germany - which probably is the largest map/country in the package.

I'm heading for Italy on Saturday, so I'll try to see if Italy has segments - but that's really not that important since I could fit Italy on the included card.

Cherz
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!

Well, this evening I tried to load the Italy map and this time I did in fact have different maps and map segments to choose from! So it seems like TomTom has not choosen to make segments for their largest map, Germany...

Hmm... I did specifically say to TomTom's "support" that I had no luck in loading segments of Germany. They could have stated long ago that "Maps of Western Europe " doesn't offer segments of Germany.

Anyway, I believe they ought to change the product description:

"Maps for a country/region can be downloaded in full or in 64 MB segments."

Well, so much for TT's product descriptions and their "wonderful" support. I have no choice, but to order a new SD card - but I'm glad that I now can forget about this mess and start using this beautiful piece of technology... No more questions and waiting, just driving...

Thanks for listening...

Cherz
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE 2...

I did reply to TT support and gave them my opinion of both their generic answers as well as their product descriptions. Then I ordered a new SD Card and I thought that was the end of the story...

But 6 days later I received an actually short, to the point. The map segments of Germany actually lies in the "Germany, Switzerland and Austria" option.

I didn't find the Germany segments first and there was no information on where they were. OK, I should have tried all available options - but one precise answer could have saved me both time and money, but most off all themselves some money.

Me - TT Support 2 - 1... Wink

Cherz
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Actually they don't. The have a so called D-A-CH map which comprises all of Germany, Austria and Switzerland together.

Would it have helped to read my previous answer? Or should I have formulated it differently?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry lbendlin, your answer did not help me then and not even when I read it now under the light of my newly accuired knowledge. You referred the region map covering Germany, Austria and Switzerland (D-A-CH). Due to limitations on my working memory card this was of less importance since I only needed Denmark and the northern region of Germany - otherwise I could just choose Germany...

But I could not even imagine that they did put the option to select
Germany map segments under the D-A-CH option. I thought and still think the Germany option would be a better place ot put the Germnay map segments...

But thanks anyway!

Cherz
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that TomTom do not offer cross map routing (as you may have noticed by now). Therefore for them it was more logical to combine Germany with Switzerland and Austria, rather than having an isolated Germany map.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin, I think there's been a communication clitch... Wink

I do understand that TT doesn't offer cross map routing, but I needed the map of Denmark and Germany for my tour. Since I cannot fit both countries to my only working SD card I thought I could download a segment of Germany instead of the whole country. According to the product description there was 64 MB segments available for all countries.

I found the Italian segments under Italy, something I found naturally. But TT has placed option to select german segments under the D-A-CH option, not under the Germany option - which I find a bit strange.

So, "Maps of Western Europe" does offer Germany as a single country, in segments and in combination with Austria and Switzerland.

Cherz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: