Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Networking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Networking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: PC Networking Reply with quote

I have two computers and a gigabit NAS the desktop and NAS, both gigabit LAN ports, are connected by a gigabit switch that is fed from my router by a 10/100 ethernet cable. My lappy (has GB ethernet but not used) is connected to the router by its internal wirelesG access point. The lappy has the capability of wirelessN so I was thinking of buying a WirelessN access point to connect to my router or switch.
The access point I had in mind was this one.
The problem that I have trouble getting my head around is that it's advertised as 300Mbps (I realise that this figure is not achievable), but how can it be a nominal 300Mbps if its input is a 100Mbps ethernet port?
Any thoughts anyone?
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 300mbps is merely a measure of the max wireless connection speed and
could potentially be achieved if both sender and receiver are connected to wireless. If it is connecting from wireless to the Ethernet port then the incoming data will be buffered until buffer is full at which point the handshaking will send a pause message back - depending on how good the buffering is, depends on how fast things run

Note some N adaptors are only 150 mbs

Have you looked at replacing the router instead - you can get ones with built in gigabit switches and 300bps wireless - so could potentially have one device on instead of three
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back to me Jimmy and the explanation.
JimmyTheHand wrote:
the 300mbps is merely a measure of the max wireless connection speed and
could potentially be achieved if both sender and receiver are connected to wireless.
Ah, I see.
JimmyTheHand wrote:
Note some N adaptors are only 150 mbs
And presumably this will also depend on my lappy's N implementation. It's too b***** complicated
JimmyTheHand wrote:
Have you looked at replacing the router instead - you can get ones with built in gigabit switches and 300bps wireless - so could potentially have one device on instead of three
Yes, but as I already have the 10/100 Mb router (and two 'spares) and the GB switch, I thought that I could upgrade my wireless to N for £20-30. I must look into an N/GBb router and to hell with the expense.
But the main problem that I was having, and hence the original question, was that of the claim of 300Mb/sec when fed with a 100Mb/sec source.
I suppose this is similar to the ISP speeds of 'Up to 8 Mb/sec'. I think I am lucky with just over 6 to the exchange, but it's a lot slower data rate when my ISP, Orange, throttle back access speeds during 'peak' times Sad
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I could upgrade my wireless to N for £20-30. I must look into an N/GBb router and to hell with the expense.

Unless you have to transfer large amounts to/from laptop or there are signal issues in house/garden - I am not sure there is a lot to gain (and if it is just transferring data occasionally - then usb hard disk/plugging laptop into cable is what I do)

If not in a hurry - it is worth watching Amazon prices as sometimes large savings (just make sure you get the right type of router) - worth asking in thinkbroadband.com as often some knowledgeable people there (and some less so)

M8TJT wrote:
And presumably this will also depend on my lappy's N implementation. It's too b***** complicated

Yes I am afraid so
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I will do as you say and extend my GB ethernet cable through the wall so that I can use it for file transfer when needed, and use the wirelessG for internet access etc.
As you say, I don't think I will gain much of an advantage by going wirelessN as the improvement will be nowhere near as much as hard wireing, which goes like hot snot on file transfers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: