Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Low Bridges
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Bridges
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Low Bridges Reply with quote

I notice there is a POI Low Bridges available from the POI Downloads page - sadly it is very very incomplete.

Pity all the 1,600 bridges, under 16' on A & B roads, as shown in the AA Trucker's Map couldn't all be included in a POI. It would then be possible to have a permanent block on each road where there is a bridge below a certain height (user configurable depending on vehicle height) and have TTN route to avoid these roads.

Don't want much do I!! Rolling Eyes

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always create the POI yourself, if you can get the Lat/Lon data it's a simple process to import these into a spreadsheet and using POIEdit create the POI File Thumbs Up
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - maybe I could try and get Lat/Long info and come back to you on this for further guidance.

Cheers

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I don't know if this data is available electronically but if it is and you can get hold of it we can talk you through creating a POI file. I'm sure it'll be very useful, we have a few HGV drivers and Motorhome owners here who will benefit Smile
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree that it would be a very useful POI. I have e-mailed both the AA and Ordnance Survey to ask their advice on if/when/where/how etc this info is available. I will let you know if I have any success.

Cheers

Tom

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a hunt round the TeleAtlas and NAVTEQ web sites to see if they have any height and width restriction information available in their data sets. If it is, then it's a much easier job for the navigation software companies to release restriction aware programs.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
after numerous e-mails/phone calls etc trying to get information from someone (OS, Highways Agency etc etc) about how/where I can get hold of the lat/long info, I have now been told by the cartographic department of the AA (who publish the atlas which shows the low bridges throughout the UK) that this information is only available at a price - would you believe £5,000!!!!!
Sadly, I won't be pursuing this idea any further Sad
I do notice that there are two (maybe more) companies that manufacture and market in-cab dedicated low-bridge warning devices, who presumably have purchased this info to enable them to develop their product.
Despite my protestations that I am not a commercial entity, and this info would not be used for financial gain in any way, there seems to be no way this info can be obtained for free. Apart, of course, from the obvious solution which is to drive to each low bridge and record the lat/long data - but life is way too short to contemplate this! I have also been advised that each local authority holds this info but only for their own area - again this would not be practical to try and contact all the local authorities with low bridges on their patch.
I can only conclude that the person who compiled the existing POI has built it himself by personally recording the lat/long data for each individual bridge - hence the fact that it only represents a fraction of the total number of low bridges in the UK.
O well - it seemed a good idea at the time 8O

I'll let you know next time I have another bright idea!

Cheers

Tom

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom9851 wrote:
Apart, of course, from the obvious solution which is to drive to each low bridge and record the lat/long data - but life is way too short to contemplate this!

There is of course another option, extract the locations from the AA Map and create the POI, you can get the Lat/Lon from site such as www.multimap.com but I'm not suggesting this is a simple or fast process.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that's true - would certainly be a very time consuming operation to say the least! Maybe, if I am suitably bored I will make a start on it and do a few at a time. I also had a reply from Navteq saying they didn't have this info but were aware that it was available for a fee. You would think that in the interests of road safety and accident prevention, this info would be freely available - very strange.

Thanks for your support and advice Darren.

Tom

Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The task of inputing all the bridges is a mamouth one.....with 1600 bridges in the UK.
Why dont all us people get together and do a bit each......Iam curently going through the AA truckers atlas and inputting the bridge heights into my TomTom Go......This is taking ages.......I have done about 6 pages which equals about 20 bridges......
Lets work togther and do a bit each........
Not sure exactly how we could go about sharing the task, sugestions anybody please?

Nick
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the poi is already there and available bif you use poi edit

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just thought I would share this with you.....

I have posted a file for inclusion in the POI list which consists of
LowBridges under 4m [151] and another Lowbridges 4 to 5m [108] which is awaiting our masters to post out on this site Question

Also I have an update which I am working on which has 217 + 185 bridges on A,B,+C roads ready to forward when my original list is posted and I have another 100 details of bridges in the pipeworks so to speak.

The list already there is for 80 bridges or so, some of which I posted, but I decided to make my own list and split between under and over 4mts.

I hope this helps you in your decision to make your own list and if you PM me with your email I can send you direct my latest list.
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.

If you go to www.motorhomefacts.com/index.php and check out their
download section you will find my file for bridges under 4m[200]

regards
theoldbuffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Low Bridges Reply with quote

If you have low bridge in your area, or know of a low bridge somewhere, please email me with the location.
I will then add them all to the http://www.poihandler.com page, dont worry about the co-ordinates but the actual location on a map will have to be reasonably accurate for me to find it.
Email me at akjw@f2s.com
minion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

i have a few wagon driving mates who do car transportation etc. and would kill for a comprehensive list of low bridges (preferably with heights) and also weak bridges.

i think the idea of sharing this amongst a few people is a great one! i have loked at it myself and it's a mammoth task indeed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: