Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 920 Battery replacement. Has is died???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 920 Battery replacement. Has is died???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 920 Battery replacement. Has is died??? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. Can you help please?

My TT920 has not been holding charge so I have received a replacement battery for it. I have installed the new unit VERY carefully (what a sod it is to remove the old one!!!!!!).

Anyway now it won't turn on unless attached to an external power source ie. laptop. I have had it on charge all night and still no go. Any ideas??? How can I check the new battery is OK?? What have I missed?

Or, have I killed my TT in some way Sad

Any thoughts, advice etc would be appreciated.

Tony
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is easy to put the old battery back in try this and see if it works and charges at all.

If the new battery is firmly stuck to the board, rather than risk damage, I suggest you take the unit apart, don't remove the new battery from the board, but plug the old battery connector back in, make sure other main connectors (eg screen) are connected and see if it starts and charges. If it does it is likely the new battery is faulty.

It is very easy, even when being extremely careful to dislodge surface mounted components near the battery and finding which one is loose or missing is very difficult.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh Why can't TT make the batteries replaceable like a mobile phone? I had mine replaced a couple of years ago an it's already down to about 5 minutes when off charge.
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the messages so far. Tried re-fitting the old battery but no joy. I looked at all of the various electrical connections and components and there didn't appear to be any out of place. I'm guessing something has retired hurt in a big way. Bummer. Oh well. I see there's a company advertising on here that does repairs. I guess it's a phone call to them.

Phooey
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently replaced the battery in my 540, and have concluded I must not have put the board back in fraction of a millimeter perfect, as it frequently won't charge on the cradle unless I wiggle it a bit.

I can't remember if the 920 uses an active mount or a usb socket to charge?
anchor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A repairer that I used last year, and can recommend, is:

http://www.satnavservice.com/contact/

I have no connection with them, but used them for a battery replacement in my 920, because they were conveniently near to me, so I could drop my unit in. The cost was £25.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: