Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 1490TV Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 1490TV Errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabcomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 1490TV Errors Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 1490TV and recently went to Broadstairs in Kent. In that area there is a place called Westwood Cross, a new shopping centre. I set the Nuvi to take me from there to High St, Canterbury and it gave me 12 Miles for the distance which I thought was a bit odd. Anyway I finished up in some village six miles before Canterbury, so totally incorrect.
I have encountered loads of errors. For example in Norwich where I was staying it said you have arrived at your destination on the left which in fact was on the right. Returning from Kent travelling North I came within 2 or 3 miles of the Dartford Tunnel and it kept making reference to both Watling Street? which is still a mystery to me and The M2 . But none of the signs at that point show the M2 or this strange Watling Street they all say A2.

Between Eye in Cambs and the run up to Spalding there is a new Road System that now been there at least 18 Months and its non Existant on the Garmin.

There's loads more but I cant go on forever!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be map errors, just the nature of the beast. Your satnav is a guide, not the ultimate authority, and the map database is never 100% accurate.

High Street, Canterbury though is an odd one, I've just entered it and you get a choice of high streets, some in a nearby village. Must come under the Canterbury area so as you simple enter High Street, Canterbury it gives you ALL the options. In situations like this you need to check you've selected the correct one. I guess you didn't?

You can help of course by reporting errors through the navteq website, as Garmin get their map data from navteq Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watling Street is the name given to an ancient trackway in England and Wales that was first used by the Britons mainly between the modern cities of Canterbury and St Albans. Most of the road is still in use today apart from a few sections where it has been diverted. The stretch of the road between London and Dover is today known as the A2

The name itself is still used for the road on many sections of the route, including in London itself and in Canterbury, Gillingham, Rochester, Gravesend, Dartford, and Bexleyheath).

(Source: Wikipaedia)

So if your Garmin is showing you road NAMES instead of NUMBERS on a local route, it is performing correctly when it shows you "Watling Street".
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always maintain these "errors" are induced by the operator not the unit,sorry but thats my opinion,you can preview your route before you set off,try being mre specific with your destination,I use my garmin in a taxi and have no complaints I find when you enter a house no and road it is very good,yes maybe on POI entries it is left instead of right at the destination but that is not a big problem to overcome,A sat nav is an aid not a co-pilot.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
mabcomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I appreciate the comments but how confusing this Watling St thing is and the M2 A2 situation to a foreign visitor

Andy_P wrote:
Watling Street is the name given to an ancient trackway in England and Wales that was first used by the Britons mainly between the modern cities of Canterbury and St Albans. Most of the road is still in use today apart from a few sections where it has been diverted. The stretch of the road between London and Dover is today known as the A2

The name itself is still used for the road on many sections of the route, including in London itself and in Canterbury, Gillingham, Rochester, Gravesend, Dartford, and Bexleyheath).

(Source: Wikipaedia)

So if your Garmin is showing you road NAMES instead of NUMBERS on a local route, it is performing correctly when it shows you "Watling Street".
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabcomp wrote:
Well I appreciate the comments but how confusing this Watling St thing is and the M2 A2 situation to a foreign visitor
Andy_P wrote:
So is your Garmin set to NAMES or NUMBERS. If NUMBERS, does it still show the Names?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you get any choice.

It's the same on a TomTom sometimes road names are used, and sometimes the numbers.
But I think it's quite a tricky one for the satnav to decide which method to use.

For example the main inner ring road around North London is designated the A406 and if I was travelling round it to avoid central London that's how I'd want it referred to.
It's also called the "North Circular Road for most of it's route and Londoners usually refer to it as "the Norrth Circular" if they are going to a big shop somewhere along it.
But there are also residential sections with names like "Telford Road", "Bowes Road" or "Pinkham Avenue", and I'm sure the residents would want delivery drivers to find them at their actual named address.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get the choice, it is what it is on the nuvis Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: