Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IKEA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IKEA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: IKEA Reply with quote

I have a frustrating problem with the custom POIs on my satnav (Garmin 660).

From the free POI downloads I downloaded many sites from the UK and France Belgium & Netherlands. However, when I try to find my local IKEA (Wembley, NW London) the nearest branch it gives me is in France. :-(

To try and fix this, I deleted all POI files on my machine and the SD card and reloaded only POIs from the UK. However, if I search for IKEA the machine still tries to send me to France.

I have checked to make sure there were no POI files which I missed still lurking on my machine, but couldn't find any.

I've also checked my hard drive on my PC, just in case POI loader found something there to re-load onto my satnav.

Does anyone have any idea where these rogue files may be hiding, as it highly unlikely I will be needing a branch of IKEA in France in the near future? :-)

Tazz
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Garmin expert, but as far as I understand it, POI Loader will delete all POI files from the device before re-loading all files from within a single folder on your PC.

Therefore, you must keep all the POIs that you wish to retain on your device and make sure that they are stored in the same folder on your PC.

Next time you decide to add a new POI category/file, you will also need to reload all the existing ones at the same time.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you remember where you got the IKEA POI file from?

If you can, redownload it and check it for accuracy with a program like POIEdit, before you load it back onto the Nuvi.

POIEdit can be downloaded from http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm but don't use the download link in the coloured section at the top, that's just an advert for a different program entirely)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to view the POIs on your device, is there a map view facility. If the Ikea POI file is from this site, and you've selected to download the UK POIs, then, as you can see on the submission map, the Wembley branch should be there!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Can you remember where you got the IKEA POI file from?

Yes, it's within the free downloadable POI on this site.

What really puzzles me though is that I have deleted all POI files from my satnav (except the speed camera one) and from the SD card, yet if I search in the shopping menu (home furnishings) the first entry is IKEA in Lille, followed by Denmark, Germany etc. Mad, not Wembley.

Tazz
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
. . . if I search in the shopping menu (home furnishings) the first entry is IKEA in Lille, followed by Denmark, Germany etc. Mad, not Wembley.

The Shopping POIs from this site don't appear to include a Home Furnishings sub-category.

Are you sure you're not searching the built-in POIs? If I remember correctly, with my old i3 you had to access custom POIs differently from built-in ones, but maybe Garmin have changed that over the last four years.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like these are the ones that were built in to the device when you bought it.

My guess is that you didn't install the downloaded POIs correctly, and you have always been seeing the pre-installed ones.
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
It sounds like these are the ones that were built in to the device when you bought it.

My guess is that you didn't install the downloaded POIs correctly, and you have always been seeing the pre-installed ones.

I will re-try installing the download POIs again and see what happens. Presumably, from what you say, the pre-installed ones are not within a POI file, and secondly, don't get deleted when POI Installer uploads new POIs?

Tazz
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not try un-installing your user POIs and see if you get the same result. If you do, it sort of indicates that you ARE using the inbuilt POIs not the user POIs, and as such seem possibly to have a problem with the installation of the user POIs
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
Daggers wrote:

I will re-try installing the download POIs again and see what happens. Presumably, from what you say, the pre-installed ones are not within a POI file, and secondly, don't get deleted when POI Installer uploads new POIs?

Tazz

I don't know how Garmin store their pre-installed POIs - I'm not a Garmin expert - but, like Anita said, the fact that you described a category called Home Furnishings points to a source other than PGPSW.

Depending on how you downloaded the POIs from PGPSW, the category should be called either simply IKEA (separate files) or Shopping - Other (Combine subcategories).
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help so far everyone. I've now reloaded some POIs onto my SD card, using POI Loader. I have also downloaded the latest speed camera database onto the Nuvi.

All I need to do now is see what happens if I search for Ikea. :-)

Tazz
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
The Shopping POIs from this site don't appear to include a Home Furnishings sub-category.
IKEA is under "Shopping - Other"

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Anita wrote:
IKEA is under "Shopping - Other"

Yes, precisely, not under "Home Furnishings". So if the OP has a "Home Furnishings" category on his device it couldn't have come from here.
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to locate custom pois on garmin from the main menu:

Where To / Extras / Custom POI

MaFt
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Yes, precisely, not under "Home Furnishings".
Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: