Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Next question - Kenwood or Alpine?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Next question - Kenwood or Alpine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Next question - Kenwood or Alpine? Reply with quote

I have decided to replace the broken in-dash Denso satnav in my Saab.

Choice is now between Kenwood and Alpine. Kenwood use Garmin maps and Alpine use iGo maps. I've never really noticed iGo as a map system, so my thoughts are going towards Kenwood.

Anyone got any comment on this? I'm happy with the audio features etc. of either, but it'd the mapping I have a reservation with. Never used either.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Garmin or iGO are mapping providers they are for the navigation software. Garmin use NAVTEQ mapping and iGO (owned by NNG) use a mixture of TomTom (formerly TeleAtlas) and NAVTEQ mapping.

Both are easy to use. Both can accept our speed camera database. iGO has the benefit of the speed cam database being able to use our directional data (i.e. only warned of cameras that affect you) but you can't customise the alerts/icons as much. Garmin doesn't allow 3rd party directional data but does allow custom icons and audio alerts.

Both are relatively straight forward to use but because Garmin is a more popular choice you would likely get faster answers to any queries you had in our forums. We do, however, have lots of clever iGO users that could sort you out anyway.

Really it's down to personal preference. Is there any feature in particular that you were wanting?

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that a factory fitted SatNav looks good in the dashboard, but they used to be much dearer and have poor GUI and less features than a PND.

My father has a 2008 Land Rover Freelander with a built-in SatNav which has limited features and very bad GUI when compared to the TomTom 730T that he uses now.

When you use Brodit type mounts then a PND can look almost OEM.

I would suggest a standalone PND over a fitted SatNav unless the fitted SatNavs (and their update map DVDs) are now much cheaper and they have better features e.g. user POIs etc.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer: I think the main thing that 'sgould' was saying is that his factory-fit one has broken and so he has a large, double-DIN space to fill. Both these systems are retro-fit devices and both use 'standard' SatNav software - the Kenwood is basically a rebranded Garmin PND albeit with a radio and CD player etc built in. The Alpine one is the same but uses iGO software for the navigation part.

The factory-fit systems, as you say, have rubbish UI's and limited features, however the 2 systems 'sgould' mentions are not the expensive (but rubbish) factory-fit ones.

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was just offering an option of leaving the broken double-DIN unit in place and using something else.

However saying that, everything moves on so the units you've discussed above may be excellent - as I said the fitted SatNavs used to be poor when compared to PNDs - that may well not be the case now.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
as I said the fitted SatNavs used to be poor when compared to PNDs - that may well not be the case now.

Sadly that's still the case. Well, with the manufacturers own ones anyway. Still very poor. However the 2 mentioned are basically a Garmin PND and an igo PND so you get all the features that we take for granted but are missing for the factory-fit wastes of money!!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I think it might come down to price and the Kenwood looks cheaper at the moment, but more investigation is required.

You're right, I have a double DIN hole. Well actually I have a double DIN radio with a big screen and buttons but no satnav, the DVD player has died and it's part of the head unit. So I can't play CD's either. A new "all-in" unit will allow me to get rid of the DAB add-on and the Parrot bluetooth, both of which are also getting a bit flaky after a couple of installs in older cars.

The factory fit unit was designed into the model before launch in 2004, so it's well out of date in features. The biggest problem is that the interface shuts down as soon as the car starts moving. So no chance of changing the route on the move. This is a real pain as, now I'm retired, my wife accompanies me on most long journeys and she can't operate it on the fly when we hit traffic.

Since most of our holidays are long continental drives, it's more of a problem than if I was just driving locally.

I do use my Tomtom on the old iPhone but it needs the GPS bracket and wires everywhere. My old Tomtom 700 died a while back.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
r4robert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether you have purchased a Nav system yet? (This reply is late!).

If you have not, I can recommend the Alpine W92xR series. They are brand new and offer the latest features and a really easy and intuitive UI, (My wife copes with it just fine).

Additionally, if you ask your installer nicely, they might agree to wire the handbrake lead to Ground. This will allow video, but more importantly, the banned 'Change your route on the go' function to work.

(Video on the go is obviously dangerous, but not being able to change your route whilst parked on the M25 does seem a tad strict...). So I had my installer wire in an under-dash switch, so he's legal, but I have a choice.

I've just had a W928R shoe-horned into my car and I'm loving it!

Just thought I'd post whilst 'lurking'... Very Happy

-Robert
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided on the Kenwood. It's within the budget that SWMBO has allowed. About £150 less than the Alpine.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Both are easy to use. Both can accept our speed camera database. iGO has the benefit of the speed cam database being able to use our directional data
But what about the problem that robert whatsisname is having trying to use our data on the Alpine despite the fact that it's iGO. He seems to have come up with the fact that it's only one of our competitors database the can be used. There is of course always the possibility that it can be 'jailbroken' to use our data
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not into jailbreaking things.

And SWMBO does want to use the re-route en route. The OE Denso satnav in my Saab stops user input when the car starts to move.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Both are easy to use. Both can accept our speed camera database. iGO has the benefit of the speed cam database being able to use our directional data
But what about the problem that robert whatsisname is having trying to use our data on the Alpine despite the fact that it's iGO. He seems to have come up with the fact that it's only one of our competitors database the can be used. There is of course always the possibility that it can be 'jailbroken' to use our data

I wasn't aware of that at the time. I was under the impression that iGO was iGO...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I wasn't aware of that at the time. I was under the impression that iGO was iGO...
Ah-ha. I see. Just checked the date of your post that I quoted. Well before the Alpine jobbie raised its ugly head.
I would also have assumed that iGO was iGO. An eminently suitable nav soft to use our directioonal data.
When I said 'jailbreak' I was really refering to finding out whether or not the Alpine filing systen can be accessed by the use of a laptop or similar. If it could, then I don't think it would be too much of a problem to put our database on it. But if there is no way of doing that ... Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: