Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple Navigation - Is This Evidence That Moves Are Afoot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Navigation - Is This Evidence That Moves Are Afoot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Apple Navigation - Is This Evidence That Moves Are Afoot? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A number of web sites are reporting an interesting find buried in the iPhone OS legal disclaimers. Found under Settings > General > About > Legal and buried in amongst all the usual stuff is an entire section that has cryptic mentions for TomTom and its MultiNet map data.

TomTom are not the only ones to get a mention, a number of other map and map data companies are credited including Increment P Corporation, Corelogic and Urban Mapping.

There have been several rumours concerning moves by Apple in this area and whilst this legalese could be a red herring, maps are one area that Apple has so far been happy to leave to others.

Are Apple making moves in this area? We shall have to wait to find out.

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the result of TeleAtlas changing it's name to TomTom Maps - rather than a TomTom made app built-it. Apple tend to build their own. But who knows... yet?!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider Google Maps as they use Tele Atlas (now TomTom) map data but there are references to areas in which Google use their own map data as well as numerous other curious references to map data providers which are entirely new.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Darren, I was just saying i think the tomtom reference is to a possible new app by Apple (as you suggest) but wanted to clarify (read suggest) tomtom are purely the map provider is select regions not the app developer

Well, perhaps anyway... time will tell
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they're simply trying to separate themselves from Google by creating their own maps app? Once they've done that then they can use their new app as the basis of a navigation app.

MaFt
mfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: If Apple made Sat Nav.. Reply with quote

Would it only let you drive to places it liked and could remove POIs/address whenever it felt like doing it?
tomtom_shareholder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple will develop a GPS app, using TeleAtlas/TomTom maps. Within the (probably) free app you can buy add-ons.

One of these add-ons will probably be HD traffic. But also other third parties will have the opportunity to create add-ons (apps for apps) for this new Apple GPS service.

Quite similar to the GPS app in the HTC desire. This also uses TomTom maps, within a free app, with payed add-ons like turn by turn and traffic.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also "Map Data (c) 2011 Waze."

I think they're ditching Google for the iOS5 Maps App and further down the line will do a turn-by-turn akin to Google Nav on Android.

I wonder if their current license with Google specifically blocks them from using their set up for turn-by-turn navigation?

MaFt
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one think it will be good for them to ditch google maps - not because there is anything necessarily wrong with google maps or why it should be used over tomtom maps or navteq maps, but simply that it will put tomtom maps onto a major platform, with windowsphone having navteq via their nokia alliance and bing and of course google with android

For the time being at least, I don't rate google navigation and would prefer to pay for it from an other (any other?) source - lets be honest it cannot compete with a tomtom or navigon app on board
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I for one think it will be good for them to ditch google maps - not because there is anything necessarily wrong with google maps or why it should be used over tomtom maps or navteq maps, but simply that it will put tomtom maps onto a major platform, with windowsphone having navteq via their nokia alliance and bing and of course google with android

the iphone maps app already uses tomtom maps. however it is heavily based on the 'google maps' system as we see on maps.google.com. there's massive confusion too because google do actually have their own map data in america which is used in google maps and in the maps app. if you use the maps app in the uk you will get tomtom maps.

i think the main thing here is they want rid of google themselves, not their maps. apple could easily license tomtom or navteq maps on their own, up to now they have simply used google who already license these maps. i think they are moving way from google now though as they seem to have their own license deals.

i'm just waiting for the lazy news reports and blog posts saying that apple will have tomtom built in... no, just tomtom (formerly teleatlas) maps...!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: